What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

$20k What to do with it?

clones-R-us

This is it kids.... i have $20k to start a grow room. What would you do? I want to yeild 10lbs. I have bubblegum, ak-47, MLI, Agent orange, cinderella99 x og kush, East Coast SD.

I want to use soil. Co2. I have some some ideas but looking for imput. I want to keep the energy bill under $1k. thanks for all your help.

Last edited:
G

how much space do you have to work with? How often do you want to yield 10 lbs?

mothers/clones
pre-veg
flower room 1
flower room 2

that would be nice

the possibilities are endless, what fits your needs best?

can easily get 10'lbs off 5kw worth of flower lights once you dial in. Depends on how you want to distribute that. 400's 600's 1000's can all do this.

energy bill depends on what you are charged per kw, now you have something to work with to choose your system!

Not to mention the current consumption of the electricity.

Not really a good answer to what you want, but hope it helps

_Dude

You should target a setup that will pay for itself and let you leverage into something bigger when you get the hang of things. That way you can set up a primo grow with way less than 20K so you have some jingle left in your pocket if something goes wrong.

I advise a simple setup. I started with recirculating DWC and wished I had done something simpler after I switched to flood and drain (ebb and flow). Build what you can yourself to save money. With my setup, the only thing I have to buy from grow stores is nutes and lights. Everything else is DIY/Wally World/Home DePot.

In other words, learn to grow first. Keep it simple. When you have the skill to go bigger, you won't need to ask such open-ended questions because you'll have plenty of ideas.

I mean you haven't even told us your grow space yet.

And going hydro is going to do you more good than adding CO2 to a soil grow, I think.

Last edited:

_Dude

Assuming a sensible setup and genetics, your yield will come down to your cultivation skills and nute regimen. In other words, what you could do with 10,000 watts, another guy (not necessarily a grow god, either) maybe could do with 2,000. Not saying you suck, just saying. So I don't see the sense of worrying about 10lbs this, 10lbs that. Run some grows and see what you get! Once you get to a gram a watt (very doable for experienced, reasonably smart growers from what I understand - I sure as shit ain't there yet), you can yield 10 lbs every 2 months with 5 1k HPS lights (plus more for moms and vegging clones if you want a perpetual grow) and an 8 week strain.

dotblunt

Save at least $15K of that until you get a good system dialed in perfectly. Once it works, expand in a modular fashion.

Thats my .02 cents.

clones-R-us

yeah buddy i know what im doing, im good at soil.... i have a small room now 5x5, and i got it all dialed in. I have never done a big grow like im looking to do, i want a 16x16 foot room. im going soil first and ill be using a 4x4 ebb and flow system on the side to get a hang if it. So far ive got 6 1k lights, i nice size AC, 2 large in-line fans, (sunleaves type), 5 4x8 tables, and a few other meters and stuff like that.

_Dude

Well shit, you don't need my advice then! Just fire them 6 1ks up and you'll have at least ten elbows, if not in the first, then definitely the first two harvests.

Good luck!

_Dude

But the question WAS "what would I do". Hmmm. Maybe a comparison grow SOG vs. mini-bushes, and see how each strain does in different hydro styles (SOG vs. MB flood and drain, SOG vs. MB drippers, etc.)?

And you'll love hydro, mang. Flood and drain is like falling off a log.

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
clones-R-us said:
yeah buddy i know what im doing, im good at soil.... i have a small room now 5x5, and i got it all dialed in. I have never done a big grow like im looking to do, i want a 16x16 foot room. im going soil first and ill be using a 4x4 ebb and flow system on the side to get a hang if it. So far ive got 6 1k lights, i nice size AC, 2 large in-line fans, (sunleaves type), 5 4x8 tables, and a few other meters and stuff like that.

So what is it that you need 20 grand for? You have more than enough right now to do what you need to do.

eyes

Veteran
figure on .50 grams per 1000.1 gpw is obtainable but there are so many factors that can effect that.

og dmc

So what do you need. Sounds like you had it all figured out already. Get ready to work your ass off, thats my advice

clones-R-us

thanks for the info. i figure ill be working my ass off. my 5x5 garden is some work. so this will be a challenge. Thanks to all or you guys and gals on icmag for all the great help. ill keep you all posted with pics and info.

facelift

This is the money you could be saving if you grow
Veteran
It would be easier to provide customized info based on your situation.

Pick up a 20x40 foot shipping container. Set by rear of house. Run power from breaker box to shipping container. You'll now have an 800 square foot addition to your house to use as you please. These containers can be had for as little as $2000.00 and can be modified as a living space.

If you're good with a cutting torch, or know someone who is, you can cut holes for windows. After that frame the inside, and place your windows. You can always section of an end to use as you new grow room.

i didn't know they made 20x40 shipping containers.all ive ever seen are the 8x20,8x40,8x5?and the new 10x10.now it would be something if you get a container like facelift said but bury it in the ground .you will need to weld some barce's to the inside with some 4 or 5in angle iron a 1/4in thick or some boxed steel the same size,about every 5 feet.also you will need to put some vapor berrier paint on the out side and bottom or you can go buy a spray in bed liner machine and coat the whole thing but thats just some basic's that go with burying a container,im sure you can figgure out the rest if you was going to go that route or not.just a idea.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
That's like power-pimpin' a newbie on an online game.

I'd definitely change my rules to "How much can I grow with only $1K"

and then scale it up from there.

If you start out with "Ok..... I have $20K" you're going to blow most of it on crap you'll end up not using.

You say you want 10lbs. and it sounds like you have most of the lights and equipment for it.

Make sure you have your heat and odor controlled and go from there.

And yeah, if I had my own land I would definitely take this opportunity to bury a shipping container and run power to it properly. Sick grow room opportunity there.

M

moses224

Exactly you end up buying all the bells and whistles that are way over priced and half you can do yourself. I would maximize what I have spend $500-1000 and put the rest away. You sound like this isnt your first rodeo so get it going and then tweek from there

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
here you go: all costs are overestimated, and a reserve fund provided....

20x10 ft. SEALED room (electric = approx 4500 KWhours per month [not sure what you pay per KWhour] )

Electrical Panel -----------------------$1000
40,000BTU AC ------------------------ $4000
[10x] Adjust-A-Wing large reflectors--$2000
[10x] Switchable 1000W ballasts ------$2000
[10x] HPS bulbs - -----------------------$1000
[10x] M.Halide bulbs --------------------$1000
CO2 tanks, controller, regulator ------$1000
Panda Plastic - -------------------------$100
[6x] wall-mount Fans - -----------------$300
[25x] 54Gal. XL Rubbermaid Bins-----$400
(or 200 3gal pots)
600CF of BlazeOneUp's soil mix-------$700
Random Expense Reserve - -----------$2000

Total expenses = $15,500 + electricity

BONUS: no ducting, exhaust fans, or hole-cutting necesary

************************************************************************************

two 10x10ft. SEALED rooms: (electric = approx 4500 KWhours per month [i'm not sure what you pay per KWhour] )

Electrical Panel - -------------------------------------------------$1000
Flip-Flop box ------------------------------------------------------$300
[2x] 15,000 BTU AC (one for each room)-----------------------$1000
[10x] Adjust-A-Wing large reflectors (5 for each room)-------$2000
[5x] Switchable 1000W ballasts ---------------------------------$1000
[10x] HPS bulbs - -------------------------------------------------$1000
[10x] M.Halide bulbs - --------------------------------------------$1000
[2x] CO2 tanks, controllers, regulators (one per room) --------$2000
Panda Plastic -------------------------------------------------------$100
[8x] wall-mount Fans (four for each room) ---------------------$400
[25x] 54Gal. XL Rubbermaid Bins---------------------------------$400
(or 200 3gal pots)
600CF of BlazeOneUp's soil mix: ---------------------------------$700
Random Expense Reserve ---------------------------------------- $2000

total expenses = 12,900 + electricity

BONUS: no ducting, exhaust fans, or hole-cutting necessary

either one of these setups will yield 10+ lbs on the first run, and up to 15+ LBs after being dialed in

very low maintenance, water with plain tap water every few days throughout the cycle, no need for nutes. using SOG style your grow will be about 60 days start-to-finish...

You're Welcome! now get building and post some pics!!!!

:rasta: :rasta: :joint: :joint: :rasta: :joint:

Last edited:

tobaaaac

NEARTHEBEACHBOY said:
i didn't know they made 20x40 shipping containers.all ive ever seen are the 8x20,8x40,8x5?and the new 10x10.now it would be something if you get a container like facelift said but bury it in the ground .you will need to weld some barce's to the inside with some 4 or 5in angle iron a 1/4in thick or some boxed steel the same size,about every 5 feet.also you will need to put some vapor berrier paint on the out side and bottom or you can go buy a spray in bed liner machine and coat the whole thing but thats just some basic's that go with burying a container,im sure you can figgure out the rest if you was going to go that route or not.just a idea.

What I want to know is, "What do you tell the guy running the backhoe?"