What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ice-tube cloner from WallyWorld

G

Pretty cool....

I hadnt seen the Diy thread before....

When I get some spare time I will see whats there....

Thanks for inclusion into such a prestigous group of diy'ers.....

Last edited:
G

I had a little change in plans so instead of 14 days here are the results after 10 days.....

I did not use a hormone on this plant.....

But I did foliar feed this batch with thrive alive red......

If they generally root this well in 10 days and stay this nice and green I would be pleased....

There will be another batch that follows using my more normal protocol.....

I may in fact turn to this as my standard process.....

Thats what I get for talking shit about clonex......

After 10 days in the cloner.... I gave the normal dynagro nutes at day 6.....

I may have to combine the experiment next time.....

Use clonex and foliar feed with thrive alive.....

I still love my clonex....

The leaves came thru less nice than the nonclonex group but them roots.....

wow......

The cloner will offer a challenge.....

show me a pic of 10 days that comes from any cloner in the same amount of time that you dont plug in.....

I love this thing.....

But I have a new toy coming.... an ebb and grow 12 bucket system.....

http://www.4hydroponics.com/hydroponics/Mnl/ebbFlo.pdf

The plant that will make its hydro debut in the new bucket system will be these LUI number 6 plants.....

They will be rinsed, wrapped in loose rockwool and continue their journey.....

Thank you for your kind attention....

Last edited:

bigbear62

Mornin Budley,WOW!!!! :yoinks: You made me spill my coffee.good roots on them babys!!!You have shone me the way.Thrive alive red as foiler spray?I must do research on this.You have showed that(for newbies like me)cloning can be done simply and easy.I am glad Pontiac put this in the link o rama.My respect and admiration goes out to growers like you,Skunk,Dan, Gp,Sputco,Pontiac and others here at ICMAG for doing stuff like this. :respect: :smoweed:

G

Thanks I appreciate that....

But I did make a mistake.....

I thought the roots were done in 10 days....

in fact it had only been 9....

I thought I started them on saturday but in fact it was sunday....

as the post with the experiment above proves...

=====================================
A really good way to tell they are done.....

when the roots bust out the bottom....

You can remove the little caps and see the roots at the end of the tubes...

The result of the experiment will in fact change how I use the cloner.....

Prior I had been removing the clones as soon as they had roots to feed them....

I think waiting for a better rooted clone makes more sense....

These are great to transplant too....

They are the same size as an index finger..... fill the container.... poke hole with finger.... transplant.....

One other note....

I have in fact played with bubblers etc.... and I so way prefer this method....

As a matter of fact Im going to use this device in my new ebb and flow bucket system..... KISS

I may also do an experiment using loose absorbant rockwool instead of vermiculite....

I expect equally good results that way.....

The Bling

no offense but i can go to the garden supply and get a plastic tray that has like 10 by 15 little pots for free they'll just give you a used one if you ask most of the time.

G

Over on OG the first wick cloner was made out of 2 two liter bottles....

I put up a thread and head was actually one of the first people to pick up the idea of wick cloning..... he posted several times to the thread.... but he immediately gravitated to perlite.... I use what I think works better I have both.....

My experiments a few years ago showed me that vermiculite is the better medium for cloning....

Head uses perlite.... he did back in the overgrow days as well.....

I use what works best....

In this thread I again tried perlite and again found that vermiculte performed better....

I have in fact read his thread and found that one significant problem that I dont have is tearing roots.....

Even with the small amount of dedicated perlite I also got tearing roots....

In his cloner that has to be a significant problem.....

Posters have said it is.....

They all run on the same principle.... as long as it works for you great....

If I were to run perlite it would not be in an open tub.....

jmo....

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yea my only point was that most of us already have perlite on hand and it would mean that we dont have to purchase additional items. Also I dont believe vermiculite is any longer available in california and possibly some other states. Correct me if im wrong but i dont believe vermiculite to be available like it used to be.

G

WIthout researching it....

What comes to memory....

Is many years ago the mine where most of the vermiculite came from also contained asbestos....

That mine was closed down....

the sources today do not have asbestos... that was particular to that mine.....

Last edited:

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No asbestos but hard to find at times

No asbestos but hard to find at times

HORTICULTURE

If you want quite a few bags (4 cubic foot bags) of perlite or vermiculite, we suggest you contact your local garden center or greenhouse, and see if they can help. Don't bother with the large box stores (Home Depot, Lowes, Wal-Mart) since they often stock only small bags, and may not stock any vermiculite. Garden Centers and greenhouse operations purchase materials from distributors who do stock and carry large bags of perlite and vermiculite, and they might help you and/or sell you materials directly.

You can also try regional chains or farm stores like Agway, Pennington Seed, Southern States, etc.

Flowers in Sqaure Foot Gardening ........Or, go to the internet and purchase from sites like:
7 Springs Farm
Home Harvest Garden Supply
Carlin Horticultural Supplies
Morton's Horticultural Products

Sometimes products like our Soilac (for use in outdoor gardens and for landscaping) simply are not available from horticultural distributors. For these grades of perlite, you might want to contact local masonry supply stores and ask for perlite (NOT vermiculite) masonry wall, loose fill insulation. It's usually dusty, gritty, and just what you want for your garden (the fine particles keep the clay loam soils from compacting, and hold significant amounts of water.)

Again, if all else fails, then contact a local manufacturer. There are a lot more perlite manufacturers than vermiculite manufacturers, and the perlite producers can be found at The Perlite Institute. Unfortunately, there is not a readily available listing of vermiculite manufacturers since the Vermiculite Association membership is mostly mining companies and consultants, and most of the major manufacturers in both the United States and Europe are not members.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Ive checked on perlite in my local area and it is not available anywhere. I do believe Ive heard it is no longer sold in california. Although it is no longer contaminated if found on the market the history of vermiculite mining has turned off many distributors. Just thought this was valuable information and possibly a reason that h3ad chose perlite over vermiculite.

vta

Veteran
Hi Babba...Fox Farm has very fantastic perlite and it comes in a rather large bag, compaired to local garden centers. Also, I live in SoCal and have no problem getting vermiculite. We use it mostly for our seedlings. Let me know if you want the location.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great well maybe its the big box stores that have a problem with it :) No thanks never use it vta :) It holds alot of water and would only be good for the use above imho

G

I get the big bags of both verm and perlite at my Lowes....

but I can say that this is not the case for all Lowes stores.....

could be cause I live in hicksville......

Point well taken on the use of vermiculite.... While I throw my used vermiculite in my mixes....

I dont really need it for anything but cloning.....

Last edited:

Dan42nepa

I would like to give a testomonial to budleys cloner. My first attempt at cloning a few weeks ago. I took 3 cuttings each of 6 plants and was gifted some damaged cuttings of sour diesel which looked like they wouldnt survive. I put them in budleys cloner with vermiculite.. and had 100 percent success. All are thriving. I had read alot.. and considered so many cloning solutions but decided on this one. I'm sure others work very well but i am happy with this one...

bazooka

No green thumb here

No green thumb here

Budley - Using your cloner for my second attempt at cloning. (First try in rw 2.5 made it out of 15) 16 days and no roots. I do see one w/ bottem looks like it is swelling. I am now thinking it might just be a variety of mj that takes longer to clone. I have done everything you have said right down to the little plastic sword.

Questions:
What water temp do you recommend for the res and should I replace the water given how long it takes me? How often do you foliar feed w/ thrive alive red?

Oh yea, I couldn't find fine vermiculite so I put the regular vermiculite in a food processor to make it fine. The temp on the left is air and the temp on right is the res temp.

darthvapor

could I use the chunky fox farm perlite. Wouldnt the chunky stuff provide more air pockets. I just got gifted some distressed mothers, (cali-o,powerplant,mango,bubbleberry, and spicyjack). Im nursing them back to health and trying to learn to clone when they are healthy enough. Im in the frisco bay area and am a med patient with a card. If anybody wants to give me a personal cloning lesson I can trade genetics (I have $3k worth that I purchased in amsterdam from gypsy and reeferman) Im sure I got something you like or I could just pay you.

G

bazooka said:
Budley - Using your cloner for my second attempt at cloning. (First try in rw 2.5 made it out of 15) 16 days and no roots. I do see one w/ bottem looks like it is swelling. I am now thinking it might just be a variety of mj that takes longer to clone. I have done everything you have said right down to the little plastic sword.

Questions:
What water temp do you recommend for the res and should I replace the water given how long it takes me? How often do you foliar feed w/ thrive alive red?

Oh yea, I couldn't find fine vermiculite so I put the regular vermiculite in a food processor to make it fine. The temp on the left is air and the temp on right is the res temp.

It looks like your temps are too low....

Your air temps are in the upper 70's....

The last time I was at the hydro store I tried to find a thermometer and they didnt have anything I liked....

Temps for the medium should be in the upper 70's....

My cloning shelf feels warm to the touch....

Whats going on with your lighting and the lid??? In the pics above yours where dan has a shoplight and large tote he is about a foot away with the lights.... thats about right... you just dont want them right on the plants....
I dont think they need the lid....

Where I have my cloner is with my veg plants... there are two shelves.... my cloner is on the top shelf in the winter.... the floros from the bottom shelf keep the cloner warm.... that is what I think you are missing... that warmth that I have....

I think your pic shows 70 or 66 degrees???? I think you want 76 to 80 degrees.... temps make a big difference....

I loved the sword btw....

I still love clonex.... as far as feeding since mine were in for only 10 days....

I fed once..... Im assuming the bottle there is clonex???

In spite of the fact you dont have roots... the cloner has really done its job... its kept your clones for more than 2 weeks... I have never let the cloner go that long... ever....

Last edited:
G

darthvapor said:
could I use the chunky fox farm perlite. Wouldnt the chunky stuff provide more air pockets. I just got gifted some distressed mothers, (cali-o,powerplant,mango,bubbleberry, and spicyjack). Im nursing them back to health and trying to learn to clone when they are healthy enough. Im in the frisco bay area and am a med patient with a card. If anybody wants to give me a personal cloning lesson I can trade genetics (I have $3k worth that I purchased in amsterdam from gypsy and reeferman) Im sure I got something you like or I could just pay you.

Happy to help any way I can.....

ON overgrow I discovered that my old cloner a wick cloner using string and two liter bottles worked for me like a charm.... others using coarse grade were not having as much luck...

Im of the strong opinion that fine works way better... not cause of the air but because of the consistant moisture against the stem....

If you want to clone.... start with a bottle of clonex.... post any questions and Im certain you can get some help....

Once you get the environment right cloning is really easy....