What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How would you arrange 36 plants over 4'x24' space?

mikeross

What's the best way to utilize this space and plant count? 12 rows of 3 plants? 18 rows of 2 plants? a mix, 2 pots in one row, then 3 pots in the next row... continue this pattern?

Veg time is not an issue... Have 6 weeks to veg if I really need too.

mikeross

Haha nice to see you here. I've been off the forums for about a decade. Way back then you helped me a lot with my MPB setups. Time has changed and on to bigger and better things.

Its not 8sf.. its 4 feet by 24 feet. Actually that's just one row. I have 2 rooms, each 15'x28' with (3) rows, 4'x24' in each room... so total is 6 rows. Gonna run 12 or maybe even 15 Gavita 1k's per room.

I've settled on this layout... its gonna be 12 rows of 3 plants, per 4'x24' raceway table. Same spacing as the photo below. Photo was taken from Issack "8k coco grow". https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=343017

picture.php

He's running 24 plants over 16' and I'm doing 36 plants over 24', so same layout exactly.

I'm gonna run pure Canna Coco, Jack's, open 1/4 lines, multi-feeding.

Now, in the journal above Issac crushed it in 2 gallon pots. I'm going back and forth between 2 or 3 gallon pots for this setup. He's running fabric pots and I will be using hard pots.

So what you think... should I run 2 or 3 gallon pots? My gut is telling me go with 3's but my brain is telling me 2's.

Last edited:

Lyfespan

4'x24' only one way for that

2 columns x 18 rows in 3 gallons pots

trellis is, break them till filled in and flip it

Lyfespan

Haha nice to see you here. I've been off the forums for about a decade. Way back then you helped me a lot with my MPB setups. Time has changed and on to bigger and better things.

Its not 8sf.. its 4 feet by 24 feet. Actually that's just one row. I have 2 rooms, each 15'x28' with (3) rows, 4'x24' in each room... so total is 6 rows. Gonna run 12 or maybe even 15 Gavita 1k's per room.

I've settled on this layout... its gonna be 12 rows of 3 plants, per 4'x24' raceway table. Same spacing as the photo below. Photo was taken from Issack "8k coco grow". https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=343017

View Image

He's running 24 plants over 16' and I'm doing 36 plants over 24', so same layout exactly.

I'm gonna run pure Canna Coco, Jack's, open 1/4 lines, multi-feeding.

Now, in the journal above Issac crushed it in 2 gallon pots. I'm going back and forth between 2 or 3 gallon pots for this setup. He's running fabric pots and I will be using hard pots.

So what you think... should I run 2 or 3 gallon pots? My gut is telling me go with 3's but my brain is telling me 2's.

3 columns will crowd you fast, and leave gaps on the rows

2 columns and 18 rows leaves you room both directions, plus no reaching

mikeross

3 columns will crowd you fast, and leave gaps on the rows

2 columns and 18 rows leaves you room both directions, plus no reaching

Doesn't (18 rows of 2 plants = 1.3'L x 2'W footprint per pot) and (12 rows of 3 plants = 2'L x 1.3'W footprint) equal to the exact same SF per plant... just arranged differently?

My math says the numbers are the same... in theory it doesn't matter which of the two layouts I choose, so the question now comes down to pot size.

You're suggesting 3 gallon? My gut is telling me go with 3's too but I'm reading journals of members getting 8oz plants out off less than 2gal pots with multi-feeding.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I don't have anything super helpful to add, but I do know cloth pots can wick up a lot more of the overflow water back into them if you are using any sort of drainage tray under them. The hard pots don't really do that.

mikeross

I don't have anything super helpful to add, but I do know cloth pots can wick up a lot more of the overflow water back into them if you are using any sort of drainage tray under them. The hard pots don't really do that.

Definitely a good point but in this case drainage isn't going to be an issue. For each 4'x24' table, the pots will be sitting on corrugated roof panels that flow into a 4' wide gutter at the end of the table. A 3/4" hose from the gutter goes down into a drain. I typically don't do more than 5% runoff and that's only during 1st and last feed of the day... anything in between gets no run off.

DunHav`nFun

LMAO.....Ok.....shoulda known Bro.....Guess my old ass is goin blind and too used ta the kids and their tent grows.....lol.....anyways......Looks like you`ve been keepin busy and yeah I guess it`s been a minute since you`ve been around huh ?......so....

Yeah....multiple feeds with smaller containers gives more gas exchange in the rootzone and makes for some serious weight once dialed.....HGO usedta pull 8 oz Chem D plants come harvey on the regular once dialed.....Think I remember he got up to 6 feeds per lights on , but he was usin Euro sized "Liter"pots that weren`t quite 1 gal IIRC....they were small....but....just remember....the smaller the container , the more support will be needed to keep them bitches from fallin over during late bloomage.....that said.......

I`d say 2 gal pots and dial in the feed sequences to all but no runoff if yas employ H&G`s Drip Clean @ 1ml per gal , and since you already decided on the 3 rows of 12 , great minds think alike.....I miss Issack.....Good grower livin in paradise......my kinda shit......anyways.....Gladta see yas back around my buddy.....Make shit happen and don`t be a stranger......Take care and......

Peace.....DHF......:ying: .....edit: saw where you already do low and no runoff in the last post.....

Lyfespan

Doesn't (18 rows of 2 plants = 1.3'L x 2'W footprint per pot) and (12 rows of 3 plants = 2'L x 1.3'W footprint) equal to the exact same SF per plant... just arranged differently?

My math says the numbers are the same... in theory it doesn't matter which of the two layouts I choose, so the question now comes down to pot size.

You're suggesting 3 gallon? My gut is telling me go with 3's too but I'm reading journals of members getting 8oz plants out off less than 2gal pots with multi-feeding.

i personally run 5 gallon fabric pots with my coco, fed once a night, during stretch i block the drains and let them drink as much as they want

also on the 2 col. VS 3 col, i say fuck reaching into work that middle col any time i can get away from it, oh and that choke out factor on a 3 VS 2

Fixer

I've beet trying to cram six plants in 5 gal cloth pots into 4'x8' tables. Two plants across the 4' dim and three the other way. It gets crowded.

Latest posts

Latest posts