What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis could help alleviate depression and suicidality among people with PTSD

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
Thanks Weird, it's gratifying to see scientists finally catching up with the FACTS the rest of us could have told them 50 yrs. ago!;)

...... to bad they had to wait until it was 'safe' to come forward.:tiphat:

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I realized this 50 years ago but used : Weed (lots), LSD, Mescaline, alcohol (many types), speed (crystal and pills) and I've probably forgotten others. Starting in 1968 to date, except, now it's weed, a little alcohol (2-4 beers couple times a week) and a very occasional pill for back and shoulder pain . PTSD is a very 'different' type of disorder. I think back to high school (1965) when everyone was my friend and I was rarely 'on the couch'. Viet Nam was in the news, next I knew I was in Viet Nam (EDIT: the news was very political then (embellishing the bad of war, fake, if you will). Returning home there were fewer friends but still lived in the same little town. Why? If I lay off vaping for a day or two (not often) my wife knows by my 'attitude'. It changes to worrisome disregard to others and my opinions get pointed. I wonder why I argue too much.
Going to the local American Legion we were met with WWII and Korean vets that, because of the 'media', were hostile to us.

These were relatives and people we went to school with

PTSD is a bitch.Thanks Weird

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Thanks Weird, it's gratifying to see scientists finally catching up with the FACTS the rest of us could have told them 50 yrs. ago!;)

...... to bad they had to wait until it was 'safe' to come forward.:tiphat:

I replaced my psych meds with pot 30 years ago so from a perspective of thanks for something I already know I am on the same page.

However since it plagues veterans I thought it might be encouraging for them to see science supporting the use of cannabis and also acknowledging for those of us who opposed the law to preserve our own minds/lives confirmation that all along it was really the correct move even scientifically speaking.

Should society need science's confirmation to validate observable reality? I don't think so but not every one march to the beat of their own drum and feel fulfilled.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
I realized this 50 years ago but used : Weed (lots), LSD, Mescaline, alcohol (many types), speed (crystal and pills) and I've probably forgotten others. Starting in 1968 to date, except, now it's weed, a little alcohol (2-4 beers couple times a week) and a very occasional pill for back and shoulder pain . PTSD is a very 'different' type of disorder. I think back to high school (1965) when everyone was my friend and I was rarely 'on the couch'. Viet Nam was in the news, next I knew I was in Viet Nam (EDIT: the news was very political then (embellishing the bad of war, fake, if you will). Returning home there were fewer friends but still lived in the same little town. Why? If I lay off vaping for a day or two (not often) my wife knows by my 'attitude'. It changes to worrisome disregard to others and my opinions get pointed. I wonder why I argue too much.

PTSD is a bitch.Thanks Weird

:) glad you found value in it and thank you for your service.

I have ptsd, bpd and bp. Talk about experiencing trauma on steroids. I was born with it expressed so at least there was no modulation from normality to this.

This plant has such capacity to sooth the mind that for people who suffer from neurological disorders and other ailments that to associate guilt with use because of legal status is grossly ironic.

It was easy enough for me to justify because of the noise in my head but it made me an outcast my whole life. Had to be a double shit sandwich for those who served with pride to come back with trauma, to face public disapproval and be denied support from the VA if they smoke pot.

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
Alcohol is a depressant and leads to all kinds of negative side effects, pills have negative side effects for the most part, down to nicotine and caffeine even. Cannabis reverses all of these effects and reduces their use, at least

Gry

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Weird again.

YukonKronic

:) glad you found value in it and thank you for your service.

I have ptsd, bpd and bp. Talk about experiencing trauma on steroids. I was born with it expressed so at least there was no modulation from normality to this.

This plant has such capacity to sooth the mind that for people who suffer from neurological disorders and other ailments that to associate guilt with use because of legal status is grossly ironic.

It was easy enough for me to justify because of the noise in my head but it made me an outcast my whole life. Had to be a double shit sandwich for those who served with pride to come back with trauma, to face public disapproval and be denied support from the VA if they smoke pot.

I’ve had depression since pre-pubescence and developed PTSD and anxiety in my 20s. Always knew pot helped but felt like I was just a loser “weed junky” for most of my life because that’s what society around here thought of people that find marijuana helpful at age 12 and 13. Ironically this attitude that I was already fucked is what lead to more addictive behaviours. I really only ever needed a puff once a week or two for depression before I started feeling MORE depressed about being branded a loser.
Thanks for posting this. I can attest first hand that cannabis does A LOT to reduce suicidal thoughts associated with PTSD and depression.
Saved. My. Life. Period.
Many times.

YukonKronic

Among 24,089 eligible respondents, 420 reported a current clinical diagnosis of PTSD.

You guys see that? 420 pops up in the funniest places...

watts

ohms
Veteran
Don't forget to choose healthy foods with plenty of nutrients each day and detox heavy metals from your body. I don't think people realize this enough when it comes to their health and brain.

ARTofMAKINGfire

Grinding extra.
Veteran
Great thread dude.

I feel as though I've been replacing psy meds with cannabis for many years as well. I was prescribed Paxil in the late 90's and took it for a week... and secretly stopped.

My father and I actually went on at the same time under the recommendation of some quacky psychiatrist. It was funny because we both ended up stopping and found out a month later when we both admitted we had secretly not been taking it. lol.

I think the over prescribing of psychotropic medications is unreal in America. Most recently my daughter was almost victim when she had an episode (as many teen age women do) and ended up in the emergency psychiatric ward. In less than 24 hours of observation they had decided to try PROZAC. Which has its benefits, but certainly also its RISKS! I objected strongly and told my daughter not to take anything they try and give her. I was adamant and told her my reasons...

I'm not of the opinion that these medications have NO good uses... I believe they are helpful in certain situations for certain people for a certain amount of time. But I also am against them being pushed like common commodities in the name of profit.

Many doctors believe the suicide crisis we have in this country is being fueled by the over prescribing of these meds. Of course I'm sure a doctor who is profiting tens of 1000s or more from them annually will not have this opinion. Especially with the fake seal of safety and guise of legitimacy the FDA provides with their approval.

Until of course someone can prove in court they are harmful and sue the manufacturer...
By then however they've already made off with many billions of dollars... even after they have to pay out 2 or 3 billion in damages. Then they pull the product and say OOOPS...

This I would like to point out... cannot happen in the case of vaccines! The formation of the Vaccine Injury Court in the USA prevents vaccine manufacturers to be held accountable for any damages their product cause. This is what prevents any incentive for them to make BETTER PRODUCT OR VACCINES that DO NOT harm people. Not to be too controversial or tangent bound... This court has paid out several BILLION since its formation... how could that be if vaccines are "safe and effective" as the CDC claims??

Anyhoe.
I haven't been diagnosed but I'm pretty sure I have PTSD.

Cannabis is my life force. When I'm not cultivating I am truly lacking in my existence...

THANK YOU MOTHER EARTH FOR THIS PLANT!

St. Phatty

Great thread dude.

I feel as though I've been replacing psy meds with cannabis for many years as well. I was prescribed Paxil in the late 90's and took it for a week... and secretly stopped.

Good for you.

I have a niece who decided to become a nephew.

They are giving him/her terrible cocktails of meds.

Testosterone, anti-depressants etc.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
It can for some,it replaces Valium for me..Buy Sativa's can have bad effects on some with PTSD..I have seen it a few times..So strain dependant...Yeehaw cannabis is special plant deserving respect

YukonKronic

It can for some,it replaces Valium for me..Buy Sativa's can have bad effects on some with PTSD..I have seen it a few times..So strain dependant...Yeehaw cannabis is special plant deserving respect

Ya this. I used trippy sativa shit plenty but it definitely could have been worse... I mean.. you know.. if I wasn’t already feeling as fukt as possible... once I was as low as low goes the weird headfuckery of intense Sativa land was a welcome distraction.
To each their own... I owe a shitload to the support of my family (Love you Daughter of mine!) and my therapist.
But also my Garden.... but seriously Therapy and emotional support is important AF.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
A friend of mine is pretty messed up after doing Iraq and Afganistan. IMO the shots they gave him are probably the reason, but PTSD is real. I gave him my old digit Volcano, and make sure he has all the good meds he needs to get through, at cost. One of his unit buddies he brought over so I could meet is the same. They are on 100% disability now, in what should be their prime. Physically OK, mentally messed up

Pot is good for you. Both of those guys strongly believe so.

Last edited: