What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Funk Lab

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
I wanted to have a thread here where I could put together some of my photography, projects, current grows, clone testing, selections, preservation projects and essentially what's going on here. Otherwise sometimes information gets lost through hundreds of threads and topics, so it's hard to keep it at hand. Plus I like bringing memories back from the past grows from time to time as well!

It's been a long time around and I feel I'd like to share the journey with all the good friends and aficionados that have been inspiring me as well. That's how the Funky Lab idea came to my mind, it will be the place for both the stinky plants and the funky-ass vibes too.

A place to share and enjoy beautiful plants, the passion for exotic landraces, traditional heirlooms and rare plants, oldschool vibes, discussion and exchange on info about breeding, R&D and preservation but also photography of course, good music (mostly funk, jazz, soul and so on), lifestyle, art, travelling, nature, culture or anything else. I wasn't sure about where to open the thread but because I will mostly focus on sharing Cannabis photography here, I feel this is the best room to fit it.

I've been messing around my camera for a few years but I've never found the time and inspiration to start photographing plants or macro photography. Since I'm currently freelancing as a writer and working on my own Cannabis educational website for the Spanish and Latin American community, I've found that the time to start was now!

I'm messing around with a small domestic photo studio, using mostly the setup I was using for portrait photography:

-Light modifiers: strobist style softbox, umbrella and also reflectors, poly boards and other useful DIY modifiers.
-Wireless flash triggers.
-Sturdy Tripod with a decent ball head... camera+100mm lens are heavy as shit!
-An old 10MP Canon EOS40D body with a decent macro lens (Canon 100mm 2.8 USM).

That's all about it so far, I'm keeping it simple at the moment and will focus mostly on lighting and composition before upgrading anything else, as I think that's the foundation of good photography.

Big ups to all the good friends from ICMag that I've had the pleasure to know and learn from during this almost 10 years! Many things changed since then but the passion for growing and sharing is the same if not more! ;)

Time to start rolling now...

I love fall and autumn colors so I want to start with one of my favourite head-stash plants, the Lilly from Delicatessen. I love the looks, the happy effect and the fruity taste resembling so much to yummy pinneapple candy.

Love at first sight, I really hope more people from outside Spain will give this beauty a try soon!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Vibes.

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Speaking about with fruity flavours I've just remembered about this nice Blueberry cut I'm loving, true blueberry muffin terpenes. Only drawback is how stretchy she is! I will soon test a different Blueberry sativa cut from a friend and have several F13 F2 seeds at home that I might explore in the future.

I've always loved DJ Short's genetics because of the beautiful colors and distinctive qualities but I always wanted to find more sativish leaning and energetic phenotypes. Blueberry Sativa, Blue Dream and Blueberry hybrids were always more interesting for me.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Like for example hybrids between tropical extreme sativas and DJ's lines like for example this amazing hybrid from a good old friend and sativa lover, who crossed a nice and trippy Highland Thai from Real Seed Company with some of his purple Flo males. Many people also loved the Highland Mexican X Blueberry by Chimera. Maybe some day...

Highland Thai X Flo by Van Vulpen. VV, bro, where are u at??:

picture.php

Peace.

t99

Veteran
Looking forward to this! Always enjoy your pics, knowledge and opinions on breeding and cannabis!:tiphat:

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's about time, brother!
I love the DJ crosses, hope to get into that area of my seed stash in the coming yr.

Keep 'em coming!

(I'm jealous of such nice photography gear!)

chronosync

Well-stoned member
Cool idea for a thread! Im a bit of a photography buff myself, nice pics man. Looks great.

Keep it funky

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Let's get darker here... Peyote showing off! Loving the aromatic terpenes, soapy but still with that common earthy/cocoa/coffee background from the Bubbas.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Ollie

Veteran
Hey MustaFunk,

Great with some positive vibes and all !

Looking forward to see the behold strains unfold within great pictures.

Big up

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Frosty as it can be!

picture.php

picture.php

Let's bring some dopeness here, this guy has some greenthumbs but on the guitar!:

[YOUTUBEIF]EMuyV5jSKl4[/YOUTUBEIF]

[YOUTUBEIF]9BDDe7mgr_0[/YOUTUBEIF]

:tiphat:

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oi, that PP looks beautiful. Good camera work as well.

Stoked to follow along :)

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice jams...good trimming music!
I was just playing Jimmy Smith's 'Root Down' disc while trimming the other day, groovin' along to that B3. :)

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Does the Peyote purple smoke well? Potency? Just a beautiful plant, almost black!

She doesn't have the flava and potency of the Pre98 but it's an interesting strain for sure, distinctive too besides you need to grow numbers and look for top production and potency. Anyway it's always nice to have some colour around the tent between all those green tops, isn't it? Always loved full black plants and this year I've had plenty of those by chance! :biggrin:

I'm testing atm 8 females from original Bubba Kush F2 seeds sourced from Katsu Bluebird himself. Will take pics from the best looking plants as soon as they get closer to harvest time, been too busy lately. They are smelling heavenly so far and two specific ladies have already caught my eye! ;)

Peace.

nachilloo

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hoooola Mustaa, wow :woohoo:, tagged cabronazo ijij. Amazing pics and models ;D :peacock: will come around for sure.
Un abrazoote
n

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Hi Mustafunk,

Subscribed! Glad to see this thread of yours. Looking forward to your future posts.

ThaiBliss

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Hi Mustafunk,

Subscribed! Glad to see this thread of yours. Looking forward to your future posts.

ThaiBliss

Hey bro good to see you around! You must think I've let myself into the dark side with all this commercial hybrids lol! I've been messing around with a tent this winter and I've loved growing all this ladies and testing coco for the first time. Many friends love this kind of gear but my true love is still 100% with landraces though. To be honest I get too lazy and sleepy when I'm smoking this kind of potent hybrids but the terpenes are just another level of dankness.

A few years ago I've decided to focus full time on keeping documenting and preserving heirlooms, I'm already too involved to give up! I've been digging the crates lately and there are loads of seeds in need that I don't want to see dissapearing. The outdoor season is about to start and there are exciting plans going on preservation wise, mostly tropicals but some old hashplants too! ; )

Also wanna keep cleaning and testing some strains like the Senegal Casamance and Angolese Malanje or hybrids as the Lambsbread/Vietnam Black, Zamal/Jamaican, Congo/Mexican and others we've done. As well as exploring other exotic cultivars from all over the world. I have a senegalese friend who just came back there for holidays and will source me with a few interesting beans he have been scoring lately.

I've chosen to focus on African genetics though, because coincidence or not, I love smoking them and they were all around me during this last few years, so my collection has been growing since then. I feel they are part of our cannabis history here in Spain. They have the high I love while being quite stable sex wise and a bit faster than extreme "late Xmas landraces" as the Thais, Cambodians, Indonesians, Colombians or the Zamals. You need half a year only to test them and it's just crazy!

This are some pictures from our Angolese diamba cultivar, imported from Malanje village and tested the past season outdoors in NorCal by Chomba64. Thank you guys, it was amazing to see her full potential under the sun! Hopefully we'll go for the 4th generation soon, as she still needs a bit potency and terpenes selection to make her true qualities shine! ;-)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php