What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Very high CBD strains, which ones?

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
elmanito said:
It is possible to breed a new strain with this variety but i had to find a strain which has a similar flowering time. Like i said earlier perhaps the Leb27 variety still contain the Bd/Bt allele.

Get your post count up, you've got pm. :wave:

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
I want some weed that doesnt get me high but tastes killer and gets eases my pain, is CBD what Im lookin for? If so which strain should I go with?
Would the longer I wait the less thc, more cbd Id get, and if so how long can I wait without the bud rotting or dieing?

Last edited:
E

elmanito

@Thule
Be patient.I can only do 10 posts per day according the message i get from this forum.

THC is not degraded to CBD but to CBN.You would have to find a high CBD-strain, like some hemp strains or some other landraces.:canabis:

Peace
El Manito

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Whats the difference between cbd and cbn? does cbn kill pain, or what effects DOES it have?

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
CBN is really good for locking your ass to the couch, allowing you to drool on yourself while munching Doritos. Other than that, it really has no purpose. Some folks want more body stone and allow their pot to get more amber. To me, the amber trics just make you more stupid. I guess it affects different folks in different ways.

Theoretically, in most land race populations of hash strains, there will be all 3 genotypes represented, BtBt,Btbd and BdBd. The BtBd will be hard to define by smoking as they are similar to weaker BtBt strains. The BdBd strains will be easy,as they won't get you stoned. It is just a matter of growing out enough seeds to find them(I hope). I am doing that now with the Mazar-i-Sharif and Sheberghan from Real Seeds. I will harvest in 5-6 weeks,depending on the strain. If I find a lady with pure BdBd genes, I have clones of all of them and I will make that one the basis of my breeding efforts. I have a hemp plant going now and hope it is a male. I will use it as well. A pure BdBd plant crossed with a pure BtBt genotype will produce all BtBd seeds. Then I will know that I have my med strain. It may taste like old gym socks, but it will have medical potential.

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
ngakpa said:
Hey Pops - think that was a miscommunication, I would expect the particular Parvati line I collected to be likely to have CBD, plus also the Malana, and Kullu and other northern ones... but not the Pahari

Thank you, my friend. Probably not a miscommunication. Just senility on my part. I appreciate the info,as well as all the help you have given to my project. I hope everyone who is interested in this CBD as medicine will consider getting some of your seeds and joining in the hunt. That is Real Seeds Company,folks! Good people to deal with!

E

elmanito

@Pops
You're not going to use the TLC-method to detemine the cannabinoid profile.
What sort of hemp strain you are using for the breeding project?:canabis:

Peace

El Manito

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
El Manito, I would love to use the Cannalyzer, but the Dutch don't seem to know how to set up a website that you can actually order from. I sent the company e-mails and they took a month to answer. They say that they ship to the U.S.,but want me to order 10 of the 50 test kits in order to get them. I have a couple buddies that want them, but I need 6-7 more. The kits used to be sold by a U.S. website for $420, but they went out of business. I can get them for around $3-350 by buying in bulk. That includes shipping and European taxes. The TLC will not show accurate % of cannabinoids, but will show presence and relative strength.

I am growing a Minnesota feral hemp left over from WW2. The hemp from that period was a fairly uniform strain,unlike previous hemp that had variable ratios of THC and CBD.

G

thank you very much pops, i didn't know it exist but do you think the test is accurate ?

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
I really don't know just how accurate it is. Supposedly, they made graphs of the stain size to judge % and compared them to GC/MS and they were close. For quite a while, some of the Dutch breeders were using TLC. I just want one to test for the different cannabinoids. I just want it to show the presence or absence of the cannabinoids. Any % I get will be a bonus, one I will not count on 100% accuracy.

When you measure for THC and CBD, you must also add in the figures for THCA and CBDA, as they turn into THC and CBD when you smoke it.

G

you are right, it will be a interesting tool, specially if you want to bred some plants. this is the only way we have....i think...thanks pops i will probably try it, i don't know if other icmagers have open a thread about that but it will be interesting i think, don't you ?
peace

Last edited:

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Pops said:
A pure BdBd plant crossed with a pure BtBt genotype will produce all BtBd seeds. Then I will know that I have my med strain. It may taste like old gym socks, but it will have medical potential.

Hemp lines don't usually average over 1.5% cbd. Crossed to a thc strain they won't give you that cbd buzz you're after. I've done experimental crosses of that kind before. Where hemp comes in handy is the bd/bd allele they all posses. The cbd levels are just too low in most strains, though there are exceptions. Are you using the feral hemp line?

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
Thule, that is not always true. Many hemp plants have lower total cannabinoid levels than drug strains, but relatively high levels of CBD(6-14%). Most hemp lines have less than 1%THC, but higher levels of CBD. Even so, it will be necessary to cross a hemp line with a drug strain, and backcross,making selections, to raise the total cannabinoid level and ,perhaps, add favorable terpenes, as hemp may not have the same terpene combinations for flavor/smell and whatever else terpenes add to the mix.

I have added a couple articles that some of you may wish to read.

http://www.genetics.org/cgi/content/full/163/1/335

http://www.amjbot.org/cgi/content/full/91/6/966

I have a strain that I have bred that has high resin levels and good THC potency. I will use a male sweet Diesel to cross to a BdBd female,if I find one. I will use the hemp plant, if it turns out male, on a SD female to raise cannabinoid levels. I will then take the seeds,which will all be BtBd, grow some out, and cross a BtBD with another BtBd. The results should be 25% BtBt,50% BtBd and 25% BdBd. Hopefully,I can ID a BdBd male by smoking several males and come up with a line that has drug strain levels of cannabinoids and terpenes, yet contain mostly CBD.

BTW, there is also a rare BO allele(possibly a mutation of the BD allele), which produces primarily CBC. It is found in certain French hemp lines. At this time, no known medical use exists for CBC.

E

elmanito

@Pops
I know one of the guys who's running the website cannalytics.The website is from the company http://www.alphanova.nl/.Its better to send an e-mail to this address, perhaps you have faster answer.

TLC is a method for identification of chemical constituents of a plant.There are several US laboratories who also use this method for identification, specially for the supplement-industry.With this method you can analyse the Cannabinoid profile but it is not specially a method to calculate the different Cannabinoids.I certainly know they have also used GC/MS for their product, because of their contact with the Agricultural University of Wageningen.
How accurate their method is you should ask.

Feral hemp from Minnesota,:woohoo: thats a collectors item.Can you give more detailed info about this strain.Flowering period and time, height, foto's etc.

This link http://www.rexresearch.com/hhusb/hh2cul.htm#HH29 is a very interesting one about to multiply your Cannabinoids in your drug-medical strain.

@Thule
Like what Pops had said is that are hemp strains with a much higher profile in CBD than 1.5%.I don't know if you have the Marijuana Growers Guide from Mel Frank and Ed Rosenthal.There are some research graphics in this book which shows that certain strain do contain CBD-levels of 2-4%, even from Lebanon. :canabis:

Peace

El Manito

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
El Manito, I have e-mailed AlphaNova and they are very slow to respond. Their website is set up very poorly. You have to register to do business with them, and being from the U.S. is not an option, though they said in their e-mail that they ship to the U.S.. Unfortunately, you cannot set up an account on their website and cannot order. They do not tell you prices. If they simple allowed international money orders,instead of having to make bank transfers,leaving a paper trail, they could have a lot more business.

I really don't know much about the feral Minnesota hemp strain I have. Hemp was outlawed in 1937 in the U.S., but our government had to convince farmers to grow it again in 1942 when the Japanese took over the Phillipines and Malaysia, eliminating all materials for rope. The hemp seed supplied was from a very homogeneous source, while hemp grown before that had come from various sources. Sam the Skunkman or Zamalito would know far more about that than I.

Last edited:
E

elmanito

@Pops
Their testkits aren't cheap.The XL-kit is €348.98 ($450.20).You can do 52 tests with it for THC,THCV,CBD,CBC,CBN etc.The price is incl VAT, but this counts only for Dutch residents, not for you or someone else outside the Netherlands.The price is less 19%, but i have noticed that it will be difficult to do payments if you live outside the EU.

About the feral hemp strain.
If the Obama-administration allow US farmers to grow low THC-farmers for food or other uses you can do business in the US.Be carefull with the strain you have.

Peace

El Manito

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
El; Manito, I doubt that the U.S. policy will ever be intelligent enough towards hemp to allow us to grow it, even though 2 states have passed legislation. Once again, the Feds ignore the wishes of the states and the people. The DEA has a bidget of $2.5 billion and 12,000 employees. They won't ever admit that hemp has value,much less the drug strains. Our drug Czar has a total budget of $19 billion. Drugs are big business for drug lords, the Government and the prison industry. We are victims of all three.

Latest posts

Latest posts