What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

$200 DIY Greenhouse

Warped1

I'm a victim of fast women and slow horses
Veteran
Looks good to me, can't wait to see it in action. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but won't you still have around 16' in length after you add your back end?

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
thanks warped and yes, you are correct. 16' long x 12' wide...

4 foot wide middle walkway. 4' beds on either side...

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
Simple and effective. Thanks for posting all the construction details as well.

-Funk

GP73LPC

Veteran
a couple more updated pics...

2nd end wall covered in plastic and stapled in place.

picture.php

and the two additional ribs added, as well as a 2" PVC center beam. this was not included in the cost in my original post. however it is needed in an environment of snow and heavy rains. the plans i am following did not have this beam originally. his hoophouse caved in. he rescued it and added the center beam. we have real heavy thunderstorms and even some snow so it was best for me to add it...

picture.php

i knotched the end of each end of the 2 inch PVC so it would rest nicely on each end wall. not to mention the end walls are about 1.5" taller due to the way the pvc bends when screwed to wood vs. over rebar stakes in the ground.

anyway, next is the top !!! :dance: :dance013:

GP73LPC

Veteran
here is how i knotched, fit and screwed the center beam on the end walls.

picture.php

picture.php

then screwed from the inside out and used bailing wire to secure the center beam

picture.php

then in covered all joints in tape in preparation for the top sheet of plastic.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

finally, i added ropes to provide more support for the plastic and to help it flap in the wind less. hopefully this will add to the life of the plastic...

Thank You DOUBLEJJ and your COSTCO GREENHOUSE THREAD for the rope idea !!!

picture.php

looking inside...

picture.php

the ropes...

picture.php

plastic top is next. probably won't get to it til next week.

got a race tonight, going out to grab a bite to eat also, the nfl kicks into full gear tomorrow and i have 3 fantasy teams...

GP73LPC

Veteran
The original plans called for 1 x 2's as the ribs. i choose to use 3/4" PVC.

However, i just now realized my PVC is on the outside of my hoop and the plans call for the 1 x 2's on the inside. So basically I could have some slight puddling during rain, but I really don't think it will be an issue.

However if if does become an issue I can move the PVC ribs to the inside of the hoop...

I'm gonna leave it 'as is' for now.

GP73LPC

Veteran
getting close to completion.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

still needs the other side tied down and the ends rolled and stapled.

doors and raised beds will be added in the near future...

oh yea, and i have a 12V DC fan. gonna get a solar panel to operate it. a friend of mine has one on his chicken coop, works great...

:wave:

Warped1

I'm a victim of fast women and slow horses
Veteran
The greenhouse looks great. I might have to try one sometime.

GP73LPC

Veteran
i really don't know. that is what they had at home depot (6 mil) and the white is also what was used in the plans i am following.

i don't think it will affect too much ;)

t33to

i really don't know. that is what they had at home depot (6 mil) and the white is also what was used in the plans i am following.

i don't think it will affect too much ;)

Aye, it does look pretty bright in there anyways. Report back with your updates!

GP73LPC

Veteran
oh i will keep this thread going until i have something growing ;)

GP73LPC

Veteran
thanks Rumer.

i can't grow our beloved ladies right now, so some veggies will love it first.

that's ok, it will help me work out any kinks with it.

i also still need to connect my rainwater collection system with the greenhouse :good:

Latest posts

Latest posts