What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Official Hempy Bucket Thread

one Q

Quality
Veteran
^^?^^

Ive seen a hempy style container with an ebb and flow table. The containers were a few inches of perlite, then some coir, then organic soil. The soil was kept slightly moist with NO runoff and the table was flooded with plain pH water to just below the coir. THat's all I can recall.

T

TylerDurden

Hey Lord Doobie I have no experience in doing that so I cant answer
your question. I wish I could but I cant, sorry man.

green_tea I was actually thinking of doing this exact thing next time.
Just fill the bottom 2 inches with perlite and the rest with Promix and I think
it should work pretty well. Ive just seen a fellow grower who just started
using Promix and it has made a huge difference in the growth of his plants. I
figured since its a hydroponic medium that you should be able to use it in a
Hempy bucket but you would probably have to water it a little less than if
you were using a straight perlite/verm mixture. If you decide to try it Id like
to see some pictures :D

Theres no dumb questions yamaha_1fan but from what Ive read, I
think that using pumps and drippers ect. does take away from "the simplicity
of the hempy bucket", but if it works better for you, lets say because you
arent always going to be around at the right time to water your plants, then
why the hell not go ahead and try it? :smoke: I dont see why it wouldnt
work as long as you keep those reservoirs filled.

Heres a few pictures of my Kali-Dream and Hashberry, both 40 days into
flowering in 5 gallon Hempy buckets (70/30 perlite/verm.). Been feeding them
with GH 3 part nutes, a cal-mag supplement and sweet leaf.

Hashberry

Kali-Dream

Mr. Durden :joint:

Y

yamaha_1fan

I have never used or even really looked into buckets so I am just exploring everything right now. I have some plans for a bigger op and I want to do something different with my moms. I thought buckets would be the best option.

Hempys seemed nice as they have a margin for error in watering. However, there will be enough work maintaining a 20-40k op so automated watering would be nice.

I love HEMPY BUCKETS

I love HEMPY BUCKETS

I love Hempy Buckets

I usually keep my pH anywhere between 5.0-6.0. Usually ends up being 5.5, the girls seem to love it.

LUI

Apollo 11

Apollo 11

Apollo 11

Don't forget your CO2, cabs need CO2 love too!!!

Last edited:

jump117

Veteran
Perlite is perfect substrate 'cos it dryes fast, and opens air to roots,

vermiculite is the opposite, it keeps water forever, prevents drying and reduces air channels.

What is it for ? Imo using vermiculite is not wanted in this system. I gave it up.

AndreNicky

jump117 said:
Perlite is perfect substrate 'cos it dryes fast, and opens air to roots,

vermiculite is the opposite, it keeps water forever, prevents drying and reduces air channels.

What is it for ? Imo using vermiculite is not wanted in this system. I gave it up.

The vermiculite makes so u don't have to water as often

CO2 for your cab

CO2 for your cab

one Q said:
what is that and where to get it...

Plant Gro CO2 System

Taken directly from their website:

Plant Gro CO2 System

Release the natural beauty of your planted aquarium. The CO2 Natural Plant System helps you achieve beautiful, thriving live aquatic plants, and ultimately, a heathier aquarium. This simple to use system releases CO2 into your aquarium for up to 30 days. Employing a natural fermentation process for CO2 eliminates the need for inconvenient pressurized canisters. Easy to clean and restart. Complete system includes Fermentation Canister, a pateneted bubble counter/diffuser and 3 activator-stabilizer tablets. Each tablet set works up to one month.

Cost me $27. Well worth it IMO.

Lord Doobie

someone posted this:
HOMEMADE C02=
use 5 cups of warm water, then add 5 cups of sugar, let sugar fully disolve, then add 1-2tsp of yeast. it will start to bubble & ferment like making beer releasing co2

hth

paulobaca

I had been looking for vermiculite for some time and I was told by a guy at hydro store that it was banned for environmental reasons.

Does anybody know of a good substitute for a first time bucket grower? The ratio would be nice too. Sucks because I was really looking forward to trying the original method.

I'm ready to give this a try as I'm pretty bored of growing in dirt. One question I have is how much do you water each time? Since it runs out the bottom, how do you gauge when to stop?
Thanks and more questions to come, but it seems real easy. I was just about to buy some waterfarms, but this seems like the way to get ones "feet wet" when it comes to hydro, or a form there-of.
Do you have to worry about ppm or tdc?

AndreNicky

Hey greenisgold, I water till i get about 20% runoff of what i put in but it doesn't matter too much don't think its possible to overwater these things

jump117

Veteran
I think much runoff is better. Not just water but wash it through and you'll never see build-ups.

I've used timer 5min/3hrs + aquarium pump to water straight agro-perlit in my DIY system and never got build-ups.

Now I water my bonsai (perlit 2L) daily till about 10% runoff and every 10 days I get ppm 140-IN/ 1000-OUT.

T

TylerDurden

Hey greenisgold, I dont worry too much about PPM's, just listen to your plants and they should tell you if they need more/less nutes. For the watering, I give each plant about a gallon and a half each time I water which gives a pretty decent amount of runoff and I flush them with 2 gal. of fresh RO water once a week to make sure no salts build up. Its pretty much impossible to over-water though since the medium doesnt really hold much water and their main water source is the res. Hope this helps :D peace.

Mr. Durden :Joint:

Latest posts

Latest posts