What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What Plants Hide MJ Best?

I would say that if you just simply have a massive outdoor garden growing a variety of things including Marijuana there is going to be serious doubt in anyone's mind that somewhere in there that there is anything suspicious, especially if you know a little bit about different types of plants. You would probably bore them more than get them suspicious depending on the plants and then they leave and back to your grows, eh?

slender

sunflowers and corn mix for close to the house. see the weed?
View Image

look close in the middle. I should't have topped it but I was concerned that the top would give it away.
now it's getting creamed.
View Image

see how the bamboo stakes give this Forum cookies away in my swamp guerrilla?
View Image

small branches or large dead trees are free and blend in much better.
View Image

View Image

did some more research into stealth this guy has it down. Corn, blackberrys, sunflowers. should do the job. unless they utilize helicopter thermal vision. and the plants give off too much heat which they easily would... :abduct:

corky1968

Veteran
I saw some huge 4 foot common thistle plants a few days ago.

Staghorn sumacs were also present on the hill tops and some grow quite tall.

Both those plants would probably render some camouflage from above.

This is a Staghorn sumac and the red seed flower buds on them even looks like a big cannabis bud in shape.

rhuty2693w.jpg

redlaser

Veteran
1). tall woody stemmed broad leafed weeds:. heard some called horse/pig weed.

2). trees: duh? let me elaborate. when clearing an area if you don't saw thru the entire trunk of a tree when it falls over it does not usually die. it cracks on the cut part but the uncut trunk part stays intact ( vertical to horizontal) and that part supplies enough water and nutrients to keep the tree alive. the branches will all shoot upwards. you can aim the fall in most cases unless the tree is on a slope or leaning in a certain direction by cutting at the opposite side of where you want it to fall. the lower horizontal branches will keep the felled tree up off the ground. the best cover imanginable 'cause you get long horizontal cover up high enough that you can't see over the horizontal tree and the tree is now low enough not to block sunlight. also, you can't get thru the long horizontal tree. it's an effective long ground brricade.

I was just out in one of my areas couple days ago and it is a great way to hide your plants .

3). rephrase your original question: how can I adjust my plants so that the indigenous vegetation hides my plant? Insert two pronged irrigation stakes into the ground and tie your plant down to go horizontal instead of vertical.

you really cannot effectively hide a late flowering bright green plant that's 8'-12' tall after the weeds have died (brown) in middle-late October. this is also now deer hunting season. how'd you like to be brought into town draped over the front hood of some redneck's pickup truck "The Deer Hunter" style? :)

texas bra those puppies; round 'em up and head 'em out ( horizontally).

if you think about it, it's really stupid of us outdoor guerilla growers trying to hide very tall (vertical) bright green plants when most of the surrounding vegetation has gone brown.

HORIZONTAL FOR STEALTH.
Lot's of good ideas in this thread but this post is hard to beat for guerilla growing. Practical experience giving out gold nuggets of wisdom at it's finest.

redlaser

Veteran
I saw some huge 4 foot common thistle plants a few days ago.

Staghorn sumacs were also present on the hill tops and some grow quite tall.

Both those plants would probably render some camouflage from above.

This is a Staghorn sumac and the red seed flower buds on them even looks like a big cannabis bud in shape.

View Image

I know of some guys that were going to college and doing an internship studying the tannin levels in dried sumac. They had a uhaul and they were driving all around Iowa getting samples from ditches and wherever i guess, recording where they got it to study later.

Iowa highway patrol pulls them over and thinks its cannabis and takes them to the station. lots of hemp in the ditches and apparently some people harvest it and the cops of course bust them. Looks nothing like sumac, hemp buds are wispy in Iowa, pollinated from the get go so they don't develop any size like a sumac cola.

Supposedly they got out of it once their teacher explained what was going on over the phone but they held them most of the day.

scourouhi

There are some plants on the island i live that look a lot like cannabis . I don't know their name .They grow to very tall and wide bushes if they get enough water . They don't drop their leaves either .

The place is full of them ,most common weeds over here .

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Sometimes the best camo is having a plant grow right out in the open lol seriously

this is a potted ECSD seriously root bound and fading and even with all the bamboo stakes it blends in with good old nature.
picture.php

one of the buds.
picture.php

ECSD in ground looking much greener.
picture.php

up close it looks and smells like weed.
picture.php

jtk707

We used to hang red Christmas ornaments on plants to make them look different back in the day when it was illegal in California . Chopper flew by a few hundred plants spaced out over 40 acres a few times . So maybe just camouflaging your plants will work

Mexican Marigold, Tagetes minuta: This species of marigold grows very large and does not flower until early fall, maintaining its resemblance through the summer months. Like other marigolds, the leaves are somewhat fragrant and repel many pests including whiteflies, many caterpillars, and even rabbits!

tagetes_minuta.jpg

10149.jpg

If you are looking for something to mask the smell, try Devil's Claw (Proboscidea parvifolia). The plants are easy to grow from seed, are very drought resistant, have no pest or disease problems, and can be grown in wet or dry climates. Its only requirement is to be grown in a mostly sunny spot. They bloom from mid summer through early fall, and are intensely fragrant, with a smell that is rather unpleasant, something like smelly gym socks. The fragrance will discourage passers by and mask the smell of even the most fragrant weed strains. As a bonus, the young seedpods are edible as an okra substitute, and the dry seedpods have many uses.
Proboscidea%20parviflora,%20Devil's%20Claw%3B%20Jeff%20Davis%20County,%20Tomahawk%20Trail,%20Limpia%20Creek,%20Texas%202014-07-26-X2.jpg

St. Phatty

Monster blackberries can be both a shade cloth and a camouflage.

If I was in a suburban setting, I would use a variety of plants.

E.g. eggplant has a branch structure sort of like Cannabis. With big eggplants hanging off it sort of draws the eye.

Also there is a '3 sisters' thing in gardening, I think it's an American Indian thing. Beans Squash Corn. I know beans and corn can get big enough to offer shade etc.

for camouflage, how about small to mid sized Norfolk Island Pine. should go well with sativas, maybe not so much with the dense indica bush trees

for ground level visual screening, possibly grow a crop of hops. Put up a perimeter of 15 to 20 foot hops plants, three to four deep. short of a fly over, nobody is going to see a thing there. even with a fly over, the plants may mix in well especially if spread out in the inner area of the hops field. just have to be careful not to shade them with the hops. apparantly planting and growing hops is a lot of work though. but the craft brewers in your area will love you

blackberry/hops is best combo let the hops grow on top of your bBerry bushes and it will be a wall of green until october.
always using a cover crop under OD plants too.

DjKinetics

I know it's already been mentioned but Marigold is a great Plant to hide cannabis between, aswell it repels pests.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
From the air, reflectance spectrum of pot is very distinctive and unique to all but one plant. Soybean! So if you're going corn, back off and place it on the edge of a soy field with trees as your backstop. Another bonus is that you don't have to worry about a silage harvest and loose your grow. They harvest soybean as a seed crop, and usually last (before the snow flies).

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
did some more research into stealth this guy has it down. Corn, blackberrys, sunflowers. should do the job. unless they utilize helicopter thermal vision. and the plants give off too much heat which they easily would... :abduct:

It's the Reflectance Spectrum they're looking at. Not heat.

Easy7

Veteran
I wouldn't grow in or around or even near plants that look like cannabis. That's basically going to draw more attention and not detract.

I'm still sticking with autumn olive. They grow tall and wide, fast over the years. Have two inch thorns that keep people and critters out. Thick foliage that grows thick to the ground, to cover from top to bottom. Also a dark shiny leaf that is light green on the bottom and the color patterns cover cannabis a bit better. They also put N in the ground, supposedly.

Plus the berry is the highest natural source of lycopene. As well as fiber. They look like poison so it also keeps dumb dumbs away.

Latest posts

Latest posts