What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I suck at cloning. That's not a question but this is

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I know what that feels like bud you're getting there though having how many rooted successfully?
we all have it at some point anybody who says different is a liar.
I've got it now! The same thing as last grow but the what fixed that problem isn't working this time pissing off something chronic.
Dyna-gro seems to have a lot of good products what do you use as your base nutrients?
I have two so far I would consider a
Blank+_066fb3ee131beb9aed6088300e75b326.png
. Out of the other 6, 5 of them are looking good, 1 of them I don't think is going to make it because it's so tiny. It was the smallest cutting, only like 3 or 4 inches and it's not doing good. The other 5 are putting out small leaves at the budsites so they are growing still. :woohoo: I also LST my bagseed indica and really opened it up. It's growing crazy bushlike, I have high hopes for this one. It was also the fastest seed to plant I have ever seen, so I'm thinking of cloning it and trying to resex it for some pollen.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Oh and right now my nutrients are just whatever is in the soil, I haven't been running pure coco the last 2 runs. I have leftovers of Canna A&B, PK13, and Boost, as well as potash, fish meal, blood meal, and dolomitic lime leftover from supplementing my outdoor grow.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I lost 2 of the ones that were looking good. I went in and the soil had dried out :( It was the two in hard sided pots. All the ones in jiffy pots and fabric pots were fine, I guess they could soak the water back up the bottom. Lesson learned. I had a problem with my first watering of Happy Frog is what happened. It got dried out a bit and I'm not used to soils with high peat content.

cone

At least you have some brother, The fabric pots do tend to hold a bit of water obviously plastic holds nothing.
How big are your cuttings at the moment?

If you can get hold of these over the pond I highly recommend them roots grow through the fabric within a matter days after repotting starting air pruning fast & the plants grow crazy I'm well impressed!

The light brown material seems to let the roots grow through a lot easier than the black ones, in fact, I can't remember seeing a single root coming through.

Smart Pots
picture.php

1st August
picture.php

6th August
picture.php

Roots
picture.php

Roots
picture.php

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
At least you have some brother, The fabric pots do tend to hold a bit of water obviously plastic holds nothing.
How big are your cuttings at the moment?

If you can get hold of these over the pond I highly recommend them roots grow through the fabric within a matter days after repotting starting air pruning fast & the plants grow crazy I'm well impressed!

The light brown material seems to let the roots grow through a lot easier than the black ones, in fact, I can't remember seeing a single root coming through.

Smart Pots
View Image

1st August
View Image

6th August
View Image

Roots
View Image

Roots
View Image
That looks awesome bro, is that a bonsai mother? It has to be with texture that woody. I dunno if you saw other thread, but I just got happy frog and it's got a lot of peat in it and I was having issues watering it the first few times, that's what I'm blaming those 2 dead ones on :( There might be a sliver of light for 1 of them though! All the leaves went brown and wilted, but a new set of tiny leaves started right in a branch crotch. :woohoo: And I'm actually using a brown 20 gallon bag for an outdoor plant that got moved out late in the season.

cone

That looks awesome bro, is that a bonsai mother? It has to be with texture that woody. I dunno if you saw other thread, but I just got happy frog and it's got a lot of peat in it and I was having issues watering it the first few times, that's what I'm blaming those 2 dead ones on :( There might be a sliver of light for 1 of them though! All the leaves went brown and wilted, but a new set of tiny leaves started right in a branch crotch. :woohoo: And I'm actually using a brown 20 gallon bag for an outdoor plant that got moved out late in the season.

No mate it's just a cutting that grew really lanky so it was stripped, Grown under a single HLG550 till everything else got sorted, planted into the 7 gallon pot then grown under a single HLG550 when temperatures permitted & 4 cobs running at 50w each when it was too hot then trimmed to grow lateral nothing special brother.

No I didn't see that thread, Peat moss (If that's what it is holds a lot of moisture) I kicked that in the head long ago.
If there's a sliver of light it's better than being in the dark.
Sweet a couple of new leaves means it ain't dead.
20 gallon should allow for a great root mass= bigger yield.
you should get an excellent monster with a 20-gallon pot.
Keep me in updated AP

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
No mate it's just a cutting that grew really lanky so it was stripped, Grown under a single HLG550 till everything else got sorted, planted into the 7 gallon pot then grown under a single HLG550 when temperatures permitted & 4 cobs running at 50w each when it was too hot then trimmed to grow lateral nothing special brother.

No I didn't see that thread, Peat moss (If that's what it is holds a lot of moisture) I kicked that in the head long ago.
If there's a sliver of light it's better than being in the dark.
Sweet a couple of new leaves means it ain't dead.
20 gallon should allow for a great root mass= bigger yield.
you should get an excellent monster with a 20-gallon pot.
Keep me in updated AP
The peat problem was it was drying out, and it's kind of hydrophobic so it's a real pain to re-wet it. I got some yucca extract and slowed down my watering and it seems to have worked. That crazy that plant looks like a bonsai mother! Are you gonna flower that one out? And yeah the other 2 outdoor are direct into the ground, but it's like breaking cement there is so much clay content so this last one just went into a huge fabric pot. I got a timelapse setup of the other two, they are looking rad!
outdoor.gif

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
You can kind of see the third plant in this shot. It was an indoor clone mother so it's kind of "viney". The arms don't have super strength yet. This was actually it's first day at the new site. Had been outside for over a week, but that week was 1/2 rain.
picture.php

Mengsk

Your plants look great. They could use stakes and/or trellis. I'm not sure how well this works outdoors, but check out LST which you may have already. I would usually do this early on, certainly in veg not so much flower, but if you pinch or very carefully bend but don't snap the stems/branches, they will thicken and get stronger maybe shortening the node space in the process. Pulling the branches over horizontally opens up the lower growth tips to light effectively increasing the canopy or plant size. You could train the top of the plant down, perhaps as much as several feet lower in height, and you won't hurt or damage anything in fact it'll probably be a little more stable.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Your plants look great. They could use stakes and/or trellis. I'm not sure how well this works outdoors, but check out LST which you may have already. I would usually do this early on, certainly in veg not so much flower, but if you pinch or very carefully bend but don't snap the stems/branches, they will thicken and get stronger maybe shortening the node space in the process. Pulling the branches over horizontally opens up the lower growth tips to light effectively increasing the canopy or plant size. You could train the top of the plant down, perhaps as much as several feet lower in height, and you won't hurt or damage anything in fact it'll probably be a little more stable.
Thank you for the kind words bro! It's hard to tell but all 3 of those plants have been topped :) Two are also in tomato cages for lateral support, I forgot it for the fabric pot plant and it will be getting one this week. They were all 3 clone mothers I was keeping in a tent while I got the hang of cloning and now they are outside living it up. I was planning on stringing up an A-frame above them either with wood from the site or some pvc piping. Then tying the branches that need the most help up to the A-frame.

MrBungle

I have no Idea why I never had roots showing through the black pots unless the material was different back when I used them.

It's possible ya got better at your craft, or perhaps your environment is better suited these days for the roots to survive a bit longer outside of the pot..

Because I remember early on using smart pots I saw the roots popping out of the fabric, then for a good amount of time I didn't see the roots pruning themselves, as often.. but I recently did some upgrades, and set up a small tent for plants that I'm prepping for flower.. when its all closed up, the humidity bumps up a bit with the heat, the plants love it, and the roots go wild out of the smarties...

cone

The peat problem was it was drying out, and it's kind of hydrophobic so it's a real pain to re-wet it. I got some yucca extract and slowed down my watering and it seems to have worked. That crazy that plant looks like a bonsai mother! Are you gonna flower that one out? And yeah the other 2 outdoor are direct into the ground, but it's like breaking cement there is so much clay content so this last one just went into a huge fabric pot. I got a timelapse setup of the other two, they are looking rad!
View Image

Peat moss drying out quickly unusual for moss it normally holds water like a sponge might be a different kind of peat moss I used it was a long time ago.
Could you dig some silica/builders sand into the ground or perlit & or vermiculite to help break it up some?
Then again if you solved the problem no need to mess about ignore me I'm babbling on.
Both plants look very healthy, As Mengsk mentioned some training would help thicken the stem & bush out.
What I did with the BM mother was tied a piece of string to the very very top & slowly bent it over 180 degrees.
Yes the BuKu will be flowered up along with a Purple Stardawg that's outside at the moment it doesn't cope with heat as well as the other strains, Alien Rift, Blue Sherbet & Sherbet Dab seedlings are loving it though.
Purple Stardawg is looking a little like the BuKu just not as thick growth that's due to the light, I have pictures but don't want to hijack your post.

MrBungle

I figure I better post up a pic to show the crusty old black smarty full of roots

its a 2 gal...

Attachments

• IMG_0292.jpg
    IMG_0292.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 20

cone

It's possible ya got better at your craft, or perhaps your environment is better suited these days for the roots to survive a bit longer outside of the pot..

Because I remember early on using smart pots I saw the roots popping out of the fabric, then for a good amount of time I didn't see the roots pruning themselves, as often.. but I recently did some upgrades, and set up a small tent for plants that I'm prepping for flower.. when its all closed up, the humidity bumps up a bit with the heat, the plants love it, and the roots go wild out of the smarties...

As far as the environment goes it's probably worse if anything, I used to use air-cooled reflectors that isn't possible with the 550's & cobs.
I these LEDs that use Samsung LM561c top-bin chips can lead to prolific root balls so that could play a major factor.

I will get a smaller black pot stick a plant in with the others we will soon find out.

Mengsk

In lieu of posting a tutorial (burning daylight!), apparently this honey uncapping roller is not very good for perforating reflectix unless I were to sharpen all the nails I suppose. Ended up pinching a few thumbtacks together instead. Good hand exercise, like crumbling herb
smile.gif
Whether I finish the rest of the smart pot covers or save it for next time I'm not yet sure. The idea here is to make watering easier, removing the covers is a bit of a hassle but so is this. I also hand water using flexible tubing as in a siphon. I think these pots might be perfect in a crowded ebb and flow, recirculating automated once or more a day and a pond filter or open cell foam media should keep any soil pieces out of the works. Drip looks great when done properly but it also looks so complicated sometimes. With drain to waste you're trying to optimize irrigation or reduce runoff I suppose you could say. With a recirculating reservoir I could potentially use lower salt concentrations or even organic bubblers and res changes can feed the organic outdoor garden. However the environmental management or keeping the grow area clean might be considerably different, in other words more risky or more maintenance. Drip and cubes is like set and forget for the entire grow pretty much all new and disposable everything as it were open the plastic bag set it up and wait 7-9 weeks. Different effect environmentally, economically.

Attachments

• roller.jpg
    roller.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 16

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I have no Idea why I never had roots showing through the black pots unless the material was different back when I used them.
Was it the soft, non woven kind or the plasticky, woven kind of pots?
Peat moss drying out quickly unusual for moss it normally holds water like a sponge might be a different kind of peat moss I used it was a long time ago.
Could you dig some silica/builders sand into the ground or perlit & or vermiculite to help break it up some?
Then again if you solved the problem no need to mess about ignore me I'm babbling on.
Both plants look very healthy, As Mengsk mentioned some training would help thicken the stem & bush out.
What I did with the BM mother was tied a piece of string to the very very top & slowly bent it over 180 degrees.
Yes the BuKu will be flowered up along with a Purple Stardawg that's outside at the moment it doesn't cope with heat as well as the other strains, Alien Rift, Blue Sherbet & Sherbet Dab seedlings are loving it though.
Purple Stardawg is looking a little like the BuKu just not as thick growth that's due to the light, I have pictures but don't want to hijack your post.
I guess peat moss is good at holding water, unless it dries out, then it actually is hydrophobic until it becomes damp again. The outdoor ground is gonna get conditioned a lot. I amended it for this growing season, then when I harvest the plants I will be sowing hairy vetch and winter rye in the plot. That should hopefully grow over the winter and in the spring I can till that into the soil or leave it on top for a green mulch. Looking at this plot as a long term investment. That plant on the left doesn't need any thickening up I think :D I will try to grab a picture next time, but I'm pretty sure it's stem is almost the size of my wrist :D I'm worried about the branches holding the buds up, but I have a plan for an A-frame that should work. I had to do that string trick to my indoor autos that first grow, they just kept getting bigger and bigger. And dood throw some pics up if you want. This thread is off the gdamn rails I think. It's technically in the "growing questions" forum. It's my fault really. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts