What's new

C.A.P. VSC-DNE Controller

shmalphy

Veteran
I got a few of these, and they don't seem to work all that well. I had to send them back to C.A.P. twice because they totally stopped working, and even when they return them, they don't turn the fan on all the way. Anyone know a better option for climate control? I like the idea of variable fan speed thermostats, is there another one that is more reliable?

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
I believe they stopped making these over a year ago. They obviously know they are crap. I ordered one from a well known shop and they sent two lol. I assume it was so they wouldn't have to hear from me when the first one broke. Didn't even bother hooking up the second one.

Titan makes one(Mercury 3) although it looks like the same so probably from the same Chinese manufacturer.

I have found a real variable speed controller but it's not cheap. That may be a good thing though lol.

cf1859a.jpg

Here's another one. Both of these can be found at Farmtek.:tiphat:

CR2155Ca.jpg

LeeROI

The Phason are serious duty stuff, I recall reading a FAQ saying the controllers might not work with smaller fans unless you get the one specced @ 8.5 amps. Lazyman loved his digital readout Phason hooked to a 14" fan (as I recall).

I've got my HVAC stuff stacked up in boxes, waiting for room prep. I'm going to try running a S&P TD200x (intake) in parallel with a S&P PV200x (exhaust), controlled by the MTC-4C.

Edit:
picture.php

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
Found the MTC-4C a few bucks cheaper than QC Supply.

160.00 at agrisales-inc.com

Looks like Farmtek is pretty pricey.

LeeROI

The MTC-4C has a jumper inside to allow complete shutoff.

[ From phason.ca ]

When the temperature is at or below the temperature set point, the MTC-3C operates the fans at the idle speed setting. When the temperature exceeds the temperature set point, the MTC-3C increases the speed. When the temperature increases 6°F above the temperature set point, the MTC-3C increases the speed to maximum.

When the temperature is at the temperature set point, the MTC-4C operates the fans at the idle speed setting. When the temperature exceeds the set point, the MTC-4C increases the speed. When the temperature increases 6°F above the set point, the MTC-4C increases the speed to maximum. When the temperature drops below the set point, the MTC-4C shuts off the fans (in shut-off mode) or operates the fans at the idle speed (idle mode).

shmalphy

Veteran
Sounds perfect...

It says it won't work with smaller fans... I am using 6" hydrofarm fans.. I think they draw 110 watts at 120v so less than 1 amp... I wonder if that is the problem with the VSC-DNE's, not enough draw?