What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

GCG and Boobs's 2012 NorCal Organic Outdoor: The Foothill Fetish

Very nice start you have here .. Good things to come for sure!

Love the ladybug harvesting .. Ive been releasing 100 ladybugs in my indoor garden every week to rid myself of pests

Im really interested to see how the Sensi Star does outside cause I heard it did well but I haven't been able to try it.

Best of luck to you this year guys!

boobs

child of the sun
Veteran
today I went and bought some straw to mulch some things. I mulched my vegetable areas and the ghost train haze's, the vegetables are looking great by the way I will post some pictures when I can.

I also got some earth worm castings. I thought I'd give it a go at brewing up another tea in an environment with a more controlled temperature. I didn't use the system I posted recently though because I didn't want to brew such a large amount. I used the same system I used to brew the last tea, which is basically a submersible pump in a 35 gallon barrel. After about four hours into the brew it appears that the pump is actually heating up the tea too much, the temperature was around ninety-two degrees Fahrenheit which is far from ideal.

UlqVy.jpg

http://youtu.be/Djes7O5UH4A

I used those earth worm castings, fish hydrolysate, molasses, kelp, azomite and some fulvic acid in this recipe.

In about an hour I'm at the six hour mark, I will try to take some microscopic pictures and video at that interval no guarantees though, this mendocino bock beer is getting to me. :whee:

oh yeah, and here's an update on the sour diesel:

picture.php

photo courtesy of GoldCountryGuy :)

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
how big are most of your starts right now? just wondering if a small 6inch clone still has a 3lb potential as of now.....i have a bunch of 3-4 footers that are nice, but my smaller 1-2 foot section got hit by broad mites pretty hard, contemplating scrapping them and sourcing new clones.

i like how you threw one outside already...i think im gonna do that, throw one of my 4 foot moms outside and see what happens. gonna hit her tough with nitrogen..

boobs

child of the sun
Veteran
Our bubba/og's which will make up most of our gardens are probably around one to two feet right now.

That Sour Diesel is around five feet tall and wide right now, I think we're going to black box her beginning of July.

here's a picture to remember her back maybe two months ago:

qGNlh.jpg

Update on the tea I'm brewing, took a sample to look at under the microscope at around the five hour mark, already lots of activity. I don't know if I'll be able to get a video up tonight though youtube is taking it's time uploading the other video. It's cooling down though now that it's dark out and I left the window near it open, hoping to be in the mid to low seventies for the next ten hours that'd be nice.

Edit: here's the video I wasn't sure if I'd be able to upload tonight or not... www.youtu.be/F573u7w8lNA

talktosamson

Veteran
how big are most of your starts right now? just wondering if a small 6inch clone still has a 3lb potential as of now.....i have a bunch of 3-4 footers that are nice, but my smaller 1-2 foot section got hit by broad mites pretty hard, contemplating scrapping them and sourcing new clones.

i like how you threw one outside already...i think im gonna do that, throw one of my 4 foot moms outside and see what happens. gonna hit her tough with nitrogen..

My rule of thumb is at least a foot in one direction or another or its not worth it. I threw out some 8-10 inch clones last year and they just could never catch up with the rest. I'm a big bubba kush fan but got my pre 98 starts a little late they are around 10 inches now with good side branching. So I'm going to plant 2x per pot, ive done it before and it made about the same amount as one vegged out for the right amount of time.

I pre planted one about a week ago, she was a big but scraggly purple kush. Its adapting just fine, but got its ass kicked on a 39 degree night 2 nights ago....going to give them another week or so in the shed.

OrganicBuds

Veteran
i have a bunch of 3-4 footers that are nice, but my smaller 1-2 foot section got hit by broad mites pretty hard, contemplating scrapping them and sourcing new clones.

Broad mites get taken care of fairly quick outdoors. If I were you, I would buy some lady bugs. Start hardening off your plants and introduce the lady bugs at this time. I would imagine the mites go away fairly quick. Might be better than tossing more mature cuts.

warthog

Broad mites get taken care of fairly quick outdoors. If I were you, I would buy some lady bugs. Start hardening off your plants and introduce the lady bugs at this time. I would imagine the mites go away fairly quick. Might be better than tossing more mature cuts.

yeah if you got mites indoors and through some ladies outdoors they will kick the little buggers off of em within a week or so.. i like to transplant into fresh soil if thats the case as well..

I put out my og/bubba clone at the end of may last year. It was only a couple inches tall. I got just over 3 pounds off of her. This year the clones are already all around a foot and i expect around 5 per plant.

I agree, great advice! :tiphat:

boobs

child of the sun
Veteran
Update on the tea:

I've learned that the submersible pump setup will not work, at least not in only a 20-30 gallon setup. It heats up the brew much too much. Last time I thought it was from sitting in the sun for the better part of the day, but this time it has been inside of a cool house and is still well over 90 degrees.

Surprisingly though there is quite a bit of activity under the microscope, definitely more than there was at the 5 hours mark.

www.youtu.be/WDB3HrYVT8g

I will brew up another one in the 100 gallon setup once this one reaches the 24 hour mark. I'm going to do that one inside as well, I will then use it to pre-tea the pots if I like the way it looks. :blowbubbles:
Oh, I've also been wondering if anyone has any experience dealing with clover mites... there's lots of them around my area, they ate some holes in my sunflowers leaves, other than that they haven't been a problem with anything really. Anyone know anything much about them?

here's a link to their wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryobia_praetiosa

Meet Flo, I selected her from a 10 pack from DJ Short. Can't wait to see what she has to offer outside.

Some mounds and pots on a nice evening.

Some pots.

Sensi Star in a large mound, heavily defoliated.

:dance013:

boobs

child of the sun
Veteran
Nice outdoor. Mind if pull up a bucket and watch?

nice to know more eyes are on us, hopefully that means more people to tell us when we're about to do something stupid. :laughing:

Speaking of doing stupid things, boy that hillbilly brew system I rigged up was a big joke. It overflowed on me several times, one side would drain slower than the other and since they were both being filled at the same rate you can imagine how that happened. I got close to dialing down the output so that one would fill slower to compensate but it just wasn't going to work. So... now my house smells like fish hydrolysate :biggrin: and I'm still without a working system. I was able to return all of that stuff and get my money back though...:bigeye:

oh, and here's the last video I took from that previous brew that I was documenting: http://youtu.be/pjNyQrJ1nZs

I was going to document the brew I did in that hillbilly rig but with it overflowing on me and with the pump turning off for some reason while I was sleeping there was no reason to.

:tumbleweed:

warthog

that is some beautiful property you got your hands on there goldcountry.. cant wait to see ya guys kick some ass.. when do you plan on transplanting?

M

mr.shiva

After about four hours into the brew it appears that the pump is actually heating up the tea too much, the temperature was around ninety-two degrees Fahrenheit which is far from ideal.

airstones do a pretty good job, I think with a bag for your compost you'd be good. Regenerative blowers are my favorite. I'm going to have to get a microscope, I like the digital imager.

boobs

child of the sun
Veteran
...when do you plan on transplanting?

Around the first of June I think.

airstones do a pretty good job, I think with a bag for your compost you'd be good. Regenerative blowers are my favorite. I'm going to have to get a microscope, I like the digital imager.

GCG has an air stone and pump, that's what I borrowed from him in the past to make the teas I've done. I think we might end up getting the microbulator.

GCG let me borrow his camera tonight, I felt like I hadn't taken many pictures lately so here are some things going on around my spot...

BIrwRh.jpg

Strawberries... :yummy:

fo0iqh.jpg

Vegetables...

CFTAD.jpg

Ghost Train Haze papa...
fCKMjh.jpg

The Western Jay couple that is nested outside my back door hatched their babies today, when I was leaving my house earlier I saw a bunch of hungry mouths. I will take some pictures and post soon (max of five pics per post...)

S

SeaMaiden

GCG, boobs, what straw mulch do you use that doesn't sprout? I used bedding straw last year, and it's apparently wheat, and it's apparently quite vigorous about sprouting. Been sprouting all since last summer. I like using rice hulls, but when it gets windy the rice hulls just blow away.