What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ALOE VERA REPRESENT

MagicChef

Hey ya'll... :joint:

Been into indoor/outdoor gardening for a while but still am amazed by the Aloe plant. So many uses. Post up your shots of Aloe's big and small.

Here's mine...

S

SeaMaiden

Cain't find me camera! Mine's so thick that I need to get several pots to break it up into. To the A to the L to the O to the V! Or something like that... sorry, I got excited there for a second.

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I can't find the good camera at the moment, but I'm growing some aloe plants for my wife. She cuts off pieces to grind in the blender, then strains and mixes with green tea powder and a few other things. It's supposed to help keep her skin looking young and fresh. I don't know if it's the aloe, but something's working. She could easily pass for someone 10 years younger. What other uses does the plant have?

After growing cannabis for so long, I'm amazed at how little effort it takes to grow aloe. I have mine in pots on the deck out back. They went maybe 2 or 3 months without water this summer, and they look as healthy now as they ever did.

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's a nighttime shot from my phone's shitty camera.

picture.php

This C99 is funny. Usually when I'm high I have thoughts like, "I should go do x, y, and z. Fuck it, I'll do it some other time." With C99, I start thinking that and 5 minutes later it's done. Just like that, my first aloe pic. I popped my aloe pic cherry tonight. I should quit posting.

trichogg

What's up magic, I have spoke to you before bro. Don't know if you remember me, but I do have a killer aloe plant that is huge. I'll get pics up in my photos later. I don't have my camera now so I been postin with my iPhone.

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
So you keep yours outside? Or just for summer? What temps can they see with no harm to plant?

Mine have been outside for a year now. They don't get tons of direct sunlight, and I've only watered a few times. They get some water from the rain, but not much at all in the summer months. They're in an organic soilless mix I used for one of my cannabis grows. 30% perlite, 30% coco, 30% peat moss, and 10% worm castings. Also with 1 tbsp/gal each of dolomite lime, blood meal, and bone meal.

I have no idea if that's a good soil mix for aloe; I just had it lying around. I've really put almost no effort into this compared to my indoor cannabis garden. The plants seem very healthy, though. They've more than doubled in size in the last year. They would probably grow much faster under optimum conditions. If I get a house with a back yard at some point, I might try planting them in the ground. My wife says her old outdoor aloe garden in Florida did great on its own without any real work.

It doesn't freeze here in the Bay Area, and it doesn't get that hot in the summers. I'd probably do some research to see if they could survive freezing temps if I lived in a colder climate.

S

SeaMaiden

So you keep yours outside? Or just for summer? What temps can they see with no harm to plant?
They can take occasional freezing temps, but nothing long term and not much lower than 32F.

Mine melted when I forgot it out on our back deck last year, but cleaned off the dead (melted) bits and it came back just fine. I'm about three hours east of the Bay. California coastal regions will have no problems whatsoever with potted or in-ground aloes.

I have yet to ever see an aloe show deficiencies or preferences or dislikes for ANY type of mix I've put it in. Growing cannabis is nothing like growing aloe, if it were then we wouldn't have much need for all the "what's wrong with my plant!?!" threads.

paulo73

Convicted for turning dreams into reality
Veteran
I love the Aloe Vera.
One of nature best medicines.
I will take some shots of mine any day soon.
I´m trying to collect a few different kinds of it.
Only got 5 so still got a long way to go ;)

MagicChef

Right on, a bit of interest... :joint:

I hacked a big arm off yesterday, basically fillet'd it, stuck it in a jar and into the fridge. My hands have been dry as a mo-fo lately so I rubbed some down, worked like a charm.
Some of the arms on mine appear to have small rusty coloured scales on the plant. You can scratch them off fairly easily but appear to be feeding on the plant...
Any ideas? Ill try to post a pic soon...

MC

trichogg

I told that I'll be back.. Mind you that's a 15gal blueberry pot next to it.. This thing is a monster, I had some leftovers from a tea brew and this aloe plant drank it so quick and obvisouly loved it..

Attachments

• 346403247.470631.jpg
    346403247.470631.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 13

jarmon

Its awesome stuff, so easy to grow and to propagate, at my last house I had metres and metres of them after 6 years of living there. Theres a lot of other interesting aloe species aswell most of them arent as useful but make good ornamentals and flowers. I've collected a few but there are so many left that I want to grow. I have a few pictures of different types of tree aloes from southern africa somewhere I will see if I can find them. In the mean time here is a spiral aloe I saw in Lesotho
spiralaloe.jpg

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
aloe doesnt require a whole lot of nutrients,and only during the spring and summer when its growing actively,during the winter you should only water enough to keep the roots from drying out since they generally rest during the winter

oldguy

The aloe is great medicine! I always keep one around for cuts and burns. But thats about it. Remember growing up and grandmother made us eat it daily. That was something in it self altogether. Still here so I guess it can be used internally. Taste like shit though!

F

Franky4fingers

Aloe does best in filtered or half day lighting. Water it sparingly..... too much will stunt growth as it stores water efficiently naturally