What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Proper amount of seeds for pheno hunt? How much is too much?

Limeygreen

Veteran
50 seeds should be decent, especially if you're just looking for a stand out female. 100 would be better, beyond that if you can't find a stand out from that, I would look elsewhere unless it's very special to you.

G

growhigh1233

i always select from 80 -100 regulars and 50 fems .........................i do them in trays with 24 rockwool cubes in ............ 4 seedlings per cube regulars (kill or remove the males)............or 2 seeds per cubde if there fems .................. i can easily have 2 of these small trays with over 50 females in each

i only do this for seed lines were im looking for specific traits ..........like searching for sweetness in a blueberry, sour , cookies ect !! .. after all ....what good is a bluebrry if it smells and tastes like haye ?

i dont grow like this when its a 'high specific' selection.............in that case they need more space and light to get good smoke samples to select mothers

picture.php

OldCoolSativa

Obviously the more the merrier, but I've had fun doing pheno hunts popping 10-12 seeds and flowering 6-7 females. I have to stay under my 12-plant limit but that's still enough to find and segregate the good plants from the also rans. I believe Nevil did his pheno hunts in batches of ~ 40 seeds.

Latest posts

Latest posts