What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Need nute for Perlite/Vermiculite Hempy

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Pretty much anything. But I suggest keeping it simple (KISS method) and using General Hydroponics Maxibloom.

DoDad

Pretty much anything. But I suggest keeping it simple (KISS method) and using General Hydroponics Maxibloom.

Thanks for the reply! I am using MB and having a problem. I thought I might try another to see if I had better luck. I need something easy like MB. what other one would you suggest I try?

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
The other popular all-in-one that is also used in the same manner is Jack's classic. I've never used it though. MB just works for me. What kind of problem are you having?

DoDad

I'm having bad problems. drooping leaves, shock, yellow variegated leaves and burnt tips.

I have other suspects like my tap water but it's been fine in the past.

My tap water is about PH 7 and the MB brings it down to about PH 6. That's still the same because I tested it today.

At first I thought it was shock from too cold water but even if I let it sit over night it still shocks the plants.

Something else could be wrong like roots too wet when I transplant from my veg pot to flower pot that the root sit in nutes.

I don't have a reliable ppm meter and plan on ordering one today. I didn't need one until lately. It could be that I'm just drowning my roots.

Attachments

• IMG_7635.jpg
    IMG_7635.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 23

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
I have found out the hard way; that virgin perlite/vermiculite mix works better with a nute soak, first. :)

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Have you looked at your municipal water quality report? Just wondering if there's some weirdness there. You might try using a different water source. But yes, you are exhibiting some nute burn AND some lock out at the same time. That almost suggests that there's a pH problem. Are you sure you can trust your pH meter? Have you tried liquid drops or test strips as a second opinion?

That said, if your pH is fine, then it's probably overwatering. But since you're using hempy buckets, that's kind of odd. It makes me wonder if maybe the perlite you used in the mix was too fine? Extra coarse perlite is the best thing to add to vermiculite for a hempy mix, in my experience. When the perlite is too fine (particles too small), such as the kind that Scott's sells, it can actually cause compacting and drainage issues.

DoDad

Have you looked at your municipal water quality report? Just wondering if there's some weirdness there. You might try using a different water source. But yes, you are exhibiting some nute burn AND some lock out at the same time. That almost suggests that there's a pH problem. Are you sure you can trust your pH meter? Have you tried liquid drops or test strips as a second opinion?

That said, if your pH is fine, then it's probably overwatering. But since you're using hempy buckets, that's kind of odd. It makes me wonder if maybe the perlite you used in the mix was too fine? Extra coarse perlite is the best thing to add to vermiculite for a hempy mix, in my experience. When the perlite is too fine (particles too small), such as the kind that Scott's sells, it can actually cause compacting and drainage issues.

I use the drops for PH and tested my tap again today and then tested my water with nutes and it was fine. This is my perlite mixed 3:1 with vermiculte.

Attachments

• vigoro-grow-media-100521091-64_1000.jpg
    vigoro-grow-media-100521091-64_1000.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 23

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
I use the drops for PH and tested my tap again today and then tested my water with nutes and it was fine. This is my perlite mixed 3:1 with vermiculte.
I recommend a weak nute soak for Vigoro.

That's what I am using now; because MG perlite/Sta-green vermiculite has disappeared around here.

Earlmarne

I run jacks and calnit through my ppks with perlite and mini hempy buckets.
Equal amounts with epsom salt when a plant wants it

U

Ununionized

You just overfed em some man.

Get some water pH'd, if you can and pour it in there and get that high salts water off that root zone so the plant can grow some more root hairs.

Get yourself a $9.99 PPM pen from Amazon or wherever, and you're golden. Those plants are way burned and it's part of life growing sativas, you burn em with what seems like perfectly reasonable amounts of nutes.

Cut that back, and right now - if there's a gallon of distilled water in your house right now, go and get it, and pour it all around that plant's roots,

to get some of the high salts off that root zone so the plant can start growing more root hairs.

If you wait till you have a pen no roots are gonna grow till you flush anyway. Flush that extra salts-hot water out of there.

IF you have to use tap, pour it over the roots and don't totally, totally flush the entirety of the salts water you have in their out.

You don't want to pH shock them by taking them from firmly acidic high salts water, to neutral, with only probably one main mineral in there calcium,as well as a little magnesium and maybe, some iron.

You really need pH'd water or you're gonna probably pH shock em.

Get a gallon of distilled or filtered water, - very low ppm, and do that. It doesn't matter if it's distilled or filtered, it's effectively the same as it relates to the task at hand, dilution of intense salts concentration on the roots,

just get those high salts off that root zone, so it can start growing some more root hairs.

Don't give it full light, when it's collapsing.
If it does collapse, shade it some.
Don't beat it up ya know?
When it's collapsing, drooping, the leaves are breathing out more water than the vascular system of the plant can deliver and sunlight fuels this outrunning of the water supply so - don't give em full sunlight when they're collapsing too bad, it's not real good for em.

When they're in full light, ya know, the water they breathe out, cools em - but if they're in full light and they sorta droop over, they're running a little water short; and if there's too much depletion, the cooling reduces and the leaves overheat and it's not best.

As you get a pH pen you're gonna be able to tell a lot better what's going on.

One of the VERY best things about a Hempy is if you f*** it up, a gallon or two of purified or properly dosed water and your problems are over; reload and go again. Don't despair, AT all.

When they get burned like that and they're a little skinny leaved sativathey don't really recover real fast so get that distilled water in around those roots asap and then get a pen and start mixing some mild nutes,

Peace on yas and yes - it's worth it to go to the store or look around the house for some distilled water, spend that two bucks, get the gallon water, and pour it into the plant's root zone right now.

At least, in the opinion of my therapist who I consult and consider responsible for anything I say.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
I'm having bad problems. drooping leaves, shock, yellow variegated leaves and burnt tips.

I have other suspects like my tap water but it's been fine in the past.

My tap water is about PH 7 and the MB brings it down to about PH 6. That's still the same because I tested it today.

At first I thought it was shock from too cold water but even if I let it sit over night it still shocks the plants.

Something else could be wrong like roots too wet when I transplant from my veg pot to flower pot that the root sit in nutes.

I don't have a reliable ppm meter and plan on ordering one today. I didn't need one until lately. It could be that I'm just drowning my roots.

G `day DD

Get a powerful loupe or USB microscope and have a look under your leaves .

I think you have microscopic mites .

You may not be able to see mites . You may see their eggs and the damage and scarring on the under side of the leaves that shows up as those yellow flecks on the top side of the leaves .
The ends of the leaves turning to one side and non symmetrical leaves where one half remains under developed and hooks to one side . Are signs .

Look up broad and russet mites .
If suddenly the plant is struggling and seems to have a nute deficiency when your using inert medium and full range nutes it probably is some thing attacking the roots or mites .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

DoDad

You just overfed em some man.

Get some water pH'd, if you can and pour it in there and get that high salts water off that root zone so the plant can grow some more root hairs.

Get yourself a $9.99 PPM pen from Amazon or wherever, and you're golden. Those plants are way burned and it's part of life growing sativas, you burn em with what seems like perfectly reasonable amounts of nutes.

Cut that back, and right now - if there's a gallon of distilled water in your house right now, go and get it, and pour it all around that plant's roots,

to get some of the high salts off that root zone so the plant can start growing more root hairs.

If you wait till you have a pen no roots are gonna grow till you flush anyway. Flush that extra salts-hot water out of there.

IF you have to use tap, pour it over the roots and don't totally, totally flush the entirety of the salts water you have in their out.

You don't want to pH shock them by taking them from firmly acidic high salts water, to neutral, with only probably one main mineral in there calcium,as well as a little magnesium and maybe, some iron.

You really need pH'd water or you're gonna probably pH shock em.

Get a gallon of distilled or filtered water, - very low ppm, and do that. It doesn't matter if it's distilled or filtered, it's effectively the same as it relates to the task at hand, dilution of intense salts concentration on the roots,

just get those high salts off that root zone, so it can start growing some more root hairs.

Don't give it full light, when it's collapsing.
If it does collapse, shade it some.
Don't beat it up ya know?
When it's collapsing, drooping, the leaves are breathing out more water than the vascular system of the plant can deliver and sunlight fuels this outrunning of the water supply so - don't give em full sunlight when they're collapsing too bad, it's not real good for em.

When they're in full light, ya know, the water they breathe out, cools em - but if they're in full light and they sorta droop over, they're running a little water short; and if there's too much depletion, the cooling reduces and the leaves overheat and it's not best.

As you get a pH pen you're gonna be able to tell a lot better what's going on.

One of the VERY best things about a Hempy is if you f*** it up, a gallon or two of purified or properly dosed water and your problems are over; reload and go again. Don't despair, AT all.

When they get burned like that and they're a little skinny leaved sativathey don't really recover real fast so get that distilled water in around those roots asap and then get a pen and start mixing some mild nutes,

Peace on yas and yes - it's worth it to go to the store or look around the house for some distilled water, spend that two bucks, get the gallon water, and pour it into the plant's root zone right now.

At least, in the opinion of my therapist who I consult and consider responsible for anything I say.

Thanks for all of this I'm on it. I ordered a meter on amazon as you said and will flush and have raised my lights.

I have 3 gallon hempy buckets of the perlite/verm 3:1 mix . How much water should I put through them to make sure they are fully flushed?

U

Ununionized

The first time you lean & drain then re-pour, by drizzling the water around from the top, you're gonna stop all burning.

Would another lean & refill-to-drain, do better?

With that second wash you'd be [edit: hopefully] emphasizing the chemical signal to the plant overall,
trying to enhance kind of ion signaling,

by washing as much plant material,
with as pure a water dose possible,
more than relieving poisoning,

but then water's comparatively cheap,
trying to send that signal as clearly as ya can is therefore relatively cheap,

I would do it again.

It's gonna slow em down to repair and seal those vascular feeds where the cells died, so coddle em by trying to manipulate the environment. Mist them, and with distilled or filtered only for the time being since they've been nitrogen burned, keep the temps really in line, keep the humidity up some, don't dry em out with excessive fanning, chilling, etc. don't treat em for anything...

Last edited:
U

Ununionized

You can replace all that ion signaling bull with ''wash em good'' if ya want to lol I'm just sO stoned.

I surrender to anybody who blurts out "I call BuLLSHooT on that!!!''

\o/

EvergreenState

I use Advanced Nutrients ph perfect micro, grow and bloom with distilled water. Easy to use, no ph problems and very fragrant, flavorful buds.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
Floranova Grow and Bloom at 1- 1 1/2 tsp. per gallon , Floraliscious + throughout the grow , epsom salt if needed. Adjust pH as needed.
I usually give them a squirt of cal/mag at the beginning of the grow but rarely need to use it more than once or twice .
That's it.

Latest posts

Latest posts