What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ready to give up! (spider mites)

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Next time take pics and upload here before you make any decisions!

I have soil mites in my worm bin and soil pots all the time, its a good sign in my experience and do no harm to the plant. Be prepared to deal with every pest at least once or twice, then when you realize how much work it is to clean up and fix the problem or start over you will gladly put in the effort for a IPM or proper environmental controls.

Ive had mites a few times in my early days, powdery mildew for the last year, and thrips this summer ( which was actually easy to get rid of)

Smoke_A_Lot

ICMag Donor
Veteran
People might say i freaked out & took too much drastic measures.. But let me share with you all a short story:

I was living with my EX of 4 yrs on & off, her Uncle was an old Italian migrant who spoke broken english. He owned a 2 story house, 3 bedroom apartments on each floor - Me, the Ex, her uncle lived upstairs, a few of her family lived downstairs. They had about 5 outdoor cats, the numbers always grew because they always got pregnant. The uncle & family never got the cats fixed or really looked after them (ways of the old country? idk). But the cats all got fleas & the WHOLE HOUSE was infested from the basement to the attic. They'd go away when it got cold, return when it got warm. Exterminators didn't help, bombing the place didn't help. I used to be covered in bites, they'd be on my clothes when i went out, you'd see them hopping out of the corner of your eyes, be eating & look down at ya bowl & see 1 or 2 that jumped into ya soup/cereal or cup of water you were drinking - point blank it was a LIVING NIGHTMARE.. So it's something deep in my pysche when i see lil creepy crawlies on things.

Last edited:

Iffy

Nil Illegitimus Carburundum
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi,
Here's an excellent 'organic' solution for pest-control, even good for spider-mites I'm told;

1 oz Peppermint Oil
1 oz Rosemary Oil
2 oz Neem Oil
1 oz Unscented detergent
2 Cups warm water

Mix together and shake vigorously to emulsify and mix into 5L of water, creating your high-strength base. Dilute to 4% for a foliar spay. In use, care must be taken to completely soak the infected plant/s with the solution, making sure to spray under all the leaves and stems. Sheet-off the soil surface first, to avoid too much being absorbed this way.

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Iffy

Smoke_A_Lot

ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is exactly what they look like, if my description wasn't enough:

[YOUTUBEIF]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gN4ndtVIgu0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/YOUTUBEIF]

Here they are up close, mine are still very small maybe coming out of the larvae stage.

[YOUTUBEIF]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZxlqxQTPv9g" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/YOUTUBEIF]