What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Very Desperate! Please Help with advice

AloeRuss

Crown Jewel of the Legion
ICMag Donor
PLEASE READ MY LONG, DESPERATE POST.
I posted few days back but since then I eliminated some things, so here is a revision.

I been growing in this one room for over 6 years. Normally I’d bring clones in.
I would soak 4x4 grodan cubes with RO water (I also would use runoff water that my AC produces) adding:
2 ml Flora Micro
1 ml Flora Gro
1 ml Flora Bloom
5 ml Cal Mag
Get my PH to 5.5 and soak cubes for about 45 minutes.
Insert clone plugs into cube holes, carefully cover any spaces between cube and the plug so no light is hitting roots.
Set the cubes under 400 w HPS light.
My Temperature normally 76-78; Humidity 55-60.
Normally 100 percent would survive and in 2 days they all would be beautifully vigorous pulling their leaves towards the light.
I did and repeated that for approximately 35-40 runs with usually great outcomes.
——————
Two month ago I brought set of clones. Did the above action.
Day 2 my AC broke. I moved 70 4x4 grodan cubes into spare room mostly used for storage that has regular light and small ac unit and kept them there. It took me 4 days to fix the AC. The tech also washed my coils with a chemical from a spray can at that time.
I moved all plants to my bloom room. They sat frozen for about 4 days and then took off. 5 days in however I started noticing a rot on some where the stalk touch the cube. I never had a rot in my life and was slow to react. In 3 more days every plant was infected.
So I had to discard.
——————————
I washed the room and noticed that AC runoff water I collected is foaming up. I used about 3 gallons of plain water to wash coils again, and stopped use of runoff water altogether.
I did the action described at the top.
Plants froze for about a week without any signs of life but then I started noticing same rot ring.
Since I been purchasing the clones from the same guy I decided not to waste any more time. Discarded the plants and purchased a new set from another seller.
—————-
Before I brought clones insight I did following. Replaced RO filter, washed everything I could rich with bleach.
Soaked cubes and planted the clones.
Two days in they started looking beautiful. Vigorous, hungry for light.
Me in all my wisdom decided to do preventative maintenance. I mixed some 32 % hydrogen peroxide with ro water. ( 10 parts water 1 hp) and literally dripped 2 ml on the each stalk where it touch the cubes.
Locked the room and went to bad.
In the morning it all went to shits. Vigorousness - gone; straight up hungry leaves- gone.
No rot showed up yet but by now I expect the worst.
————
I need to know what u guys think of this. Please.

Attachments

• 4968A114-8A9B-4C56-A9CD-B7062250B25F.jpg
    4968A114-8A9B-4C56-A9CD-B7062250B25F.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 83D4C252-568F-4A30-91C0-5431802356A4.jpg
    83D4C252-568F-4A30-91C0-5431802356A4.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 20
  • C7EC1F11-CC1B-4F22-8C10-F023851474E7.jpg
    C7EC1F11-CC1B-4F22-8C10-F023851474E7.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 23

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
I didn't see they were already rooted. Maybe the AC has filters that need cleaning too? Usually rot is the consequence of too much moisture or humidity.

Last edited:

AloeRuss

ICMag Donor
They all had roots. Not huge but naive and small but that is normally a good start.

I do not see rot forming yet. Maybe they will come around.

Iffy

Nil Illegitimus Carburundum
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi AloeRuss,

Dude I've been exactly where you are now and it sucks. I grew NFT Hydro and lost 2 x 14 plant grows to a very similar root rotting issue. No matter how much I cleaned everything it would come back and infest my res, even used a powerful 'viricide' which kills everything. I had to throw everything out in the end and buy all new gear. I was told it was the brown/black slime and for which there is no cure. I think it actually came from the building the growroom's in, as it is an old building which is full of spores. It would even infest and choke the airstones through the air pumps.

I've switched to growing in organic soil due to this but it's so slow, it's driving me mad.
Hope you sort this issue soon mate. Maybe individual hydro pots with separate reservoirs would isolate your plants, so that the infection doesn't become systemic and wipe you out.

Regards,
Iffy :tiphat:

AloeRuss

ICMag Donor
God that’s horrible. This room worked for me for so long and suddenly this.

You mean you replaced everything in your? Like lights, trays, ac, etc. everything? Did it help?

green404

Seems like a big factor could be the change in temp due the the AC going out. Maybe some funk started growing in the different condition and took hold in the room.

If that were the case it might go away after a life cycle due to the temps getting cooled back down. But it might mean letting the room sit bare for 30-days +

Another factor ? did the AC have a filter that got opened and possible spread spores around the room ?

Good luck.

Mengsk

Is that a flood table? You can try a different medium, I've found 1/3 each of coarse perlite and 2 premium organic mixes like ffof and coco in fabric pots makes a decent hybrid that should work good with salts and ok with organic ferts. Perlite will hold the least water and coco holds the most. You can wash everything with 3-10% bleach or 3-30% h2o2 or ethanol or iso. The clones themselves can be submerged in a weak bleach or h2o2 briefly IIRC. Not sure if this will eliminate systemic infection but it's an extra step. If you get a larger nutrient profile from the soil they may develop better resistance to infection. I know a fully dialed hydro room can be pretty much sterile but that sounds a little more fragile too. Check the temperatures air, reservoir A/C fans etc before another round. Your long success might also mean the A/C or some other component is seeing wear? ^ temperature ^ moisture = mold etc.

AloeRuss

ICMag Donor
No. This ac doesn’t have a filter but ac part that insight had to be dismembered completely.
This whole mess put me on 60 days hold so hopefully it’ll be over sometime soon.

AloeRuss

ICMag Donor
Is that a flood table? You can try a different medium, I've found 1/3 each of coarse perlite and 2 premium organic mixes like ffof and coco in fabric pots makes a decent hybrid that should work good with salts and ok with organic ferts. Perlite will hold the least water and coco holds the most. You can wash everything with 3-10% bleach or 3-30% h2o2 or ethanol or iso. The clones themselves can be submerged in a weak bleach or h2o2 briefly IIRC. Not sure if this will eliminate systemic infection but it's an extra step. If you get a larger nutrient profile from the soil they may develop better resistance to infection. I know a fully dialed hydro room can be pretty much sterile but that sounds a little more fragile too. Check the temperatures air, reservoir A/C fans etc before another round. Your long success might also mean the A/C or some other component is seeing wear?

I normally water by hand but I current situation I have to work with water once in 4-5 days
I noticed some of old old old dried up leaves that turn to dust on touch under the table where I can’t easily reach.
Could that be a cause?

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G `day AR

Fusarium - google it .
The ring around the stem just above the medium is a tell .

Next sign is yellow lower leaves that don`t drop . Even though there are sufficient nutes .

The heat spike would be the cause .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

AloeRuss

ICMag Donor
G `day AR

Fusarium - google it .
The ring around the stem just above the medium is a tell .

Next sign is yellow lower leaves that don`t drop . Even though there are sufficient nutes .

The heat spike would be the cause .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

I thought of that but figured that it would go away on my second or at least third try.
So what I have now is plants that are stunned and not growing but NO rot ring on day 7.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
I thought of that but figured that it would go away on my second or at least third try.
So what I have now is plants that are stunned and not growing but NO rot ring on day 7.

G `day AR

Its in the mother passed to the cuts I guess ?
I battled it a few years back . Had me baffled for a while .

I found the plants recovered in the sun . Though they didn`t thrive .

Best to cull and start again . The infected plants give off spores .

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=i&...aw27tvySSv1WC1pqXEhO_Zuz&ust=1536630496829503

Great White inoculate could help .

https://agronomie.info/en/2017/07/15/trichoderma-harzianum-bioagent/

Chitin too . Chitosan and chitin are known to be potential elicitors in plant defense responses, and have proved to stimulate chitinases and formation of wall appositions in tomato plants (Benhamou and Theriault, 1992).

https://agronomie.info/en/2017/07/15/fusarium-wilt-tomato-control/

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Mengsk

All of that stuff I posted is partially because I don't have much experience with rockwool although it certainly works for many people. I agree the heat spike is the most likely cause and what I was getting at is maybe your A/C or something else needs to be replaced, you mentioned washing it a couple of times maybe it's time for an upgrade.

AloeRuss

ICMag Donor
Thanks guys. I am still in a search for a solution.
I think my next step should be taking a plant tissue to the lab.