What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cover crop/living mulch/companion planting ahead of time?

MelonFarmer

Hi, first time posting here. First of all thanks to everyone who has helped so far with their posts and threads over the years. I have grown 1 plant to harvest outdoors and am about to harvest 2 indoor, so total amateur still.

My question is about pre planting companions and living mulch before my seedlings are ready. When do I plant my companions?

I have my pots and soil ready to mix and fill. I'm going to plant some living mulch, barley, alfalfa, oats and some clover. I also have some vetch but I don't want to crowd the pots so I might skip that one. I haven't popped any seeds yet and I want bigger plants this year so I'm still about 2 months from the girls going in their final pots (starting indoor then moving out after last frost), should I mix my soil and plant my companions now so they are established when the girls go in and bugs will have time to settle in ahead of time. Or wait until the girls are ready?

Thanks to anyone reading.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I'm confused, are you doing cover crops in pots? They are more for ground grows, to reinvigorate used soil and to prevent weeds sprouting if using as a mulch. As for companion crops, I have only used alliums, but I put them outside at the same time as my plants so everybody is growing together, because alliums tend to keep pest bugs away. From my understanding there are 2 main types of companion crops. Crops that will keep the bugs away, and ones that act as bait to pull the bugs to those plants instead of your marijuana. What you use depends on what you are trying to attract and what you are trying to keep away. Wikipedia has a good list of plants that synergize, and I fucking hate that word.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_companion_plants
They won't list marijuana, but if it says "tomatoes" it probably is a good companion to marijuana. :tiphat:

T

Teddybrae

Preparing Your Bed

Preparing Your Bed

Hello

Keep going by all means but two months is hardly enuf time to prepare your soil. A longer time is required for best benefits. Start earlier next time.

I don't know about green crops but perhaps you have enuf time to plant some peas or beans then hoe them in before planting your Cannabis.

Here's a pic of a Sheet-mulched Garden Bed. the mulch is Lucerne hay chopped finer with a lawn mower. It was put on six inches thick. The date it was put down is on the attached photo.

I had to put LOTS of Dolomite on to generate speedy decomposition. Today there is still lucerne mulch which has not decomposed ... altho the soil tilth has become amazing and will be excellent to plant in later this season.

Good luck with yr Grow!

picture.php

troutman

Seed Whore
Vetch is too jungle wild I think.

Normally, cover crops are planted like right now till late September. :tiphat:

I'll be planting red clover next month once it cools down a little. :)

Just plant the cover crops outdoors this year and transplant your seedlings into it next Spring.

MelonFarmer

I typed out a big reply but it got deleted cos I wasn't logged in, doh.

In summary, I planted a mix of seeds including the above list and clover but I've decided to just compost over it once they've established a little. I'm going to plant all the accumulators , including chamomile and comfrey separately and chop them down for mulch later. Until then I'll use lucerne mulch and spent brewers grain.

Teddy, what other soil prep should I do next time? The soil I have was purchased online and they claim it doesn't need to cook or anything like that, just be mixed in equal parts with coco and an aeration amendment, I chose rice hulls.

Thanks for reading and replying. I'll post some updates later on when they sprout.