Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Marijuana Strains and Breeding > How do the 90s and early 2000s elites stack up to today’s hype strains?

Thread Title Search
Click for Cannapot - buy cannabis seeds
How do the 90s and early 2000s elites stack up to today’s hype strains? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-14-2018, 02:10 PM #21
wvkindbud38
Elite Growers Club

wvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to all
I think when you degrade women, or have somebody with 5-6 names. I dunno how you can x something 5 times on each side and have a strain named all that stuff. It gets weird trying to keep track of this x this x infinite. And I don't wanna have something that offensive, lol some of these strains I'd like to run but I've definatly have to tell my wife a different name for a few strains that I've seen. I just can't believe or understand why somebody would name a strain of weed some of these things.

Back to the topic I'm sorry. That WW in the 90s was definatly good. And like I said the OG(SFV) I really liked. I'd second a fine selection of the older WW and OG(SFV) gene pool. If you found the right WW from 92-99 or so. And the original SFV OG. Some of the better Bluebery from 90s....DP had a good pheno around 99-02....the branchy pheno. I never found anything from Dr S except some great males that I wish I'd collected pollen from outta the first True BB released.

I'm making a comeback !!!!

WV's headin' outdoors 2018 grow

REAL GORILLA SEEDS 9 Strains !!!

Seedsman Fem Collection !!!

Female Seeds Critical Sour & Chem OG !!!

KC Brains Cristal Limit (fem)

Outdoor grow threads & album pics coming soon !!!!!

realgorillaclothing.com

WVs Outdoor Critical/Chem grow !!!
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=354027

WVs Outdoor RealGorilla strains
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=355383
wvkindbud38 is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:24 PM #22
beta

beta has much to be proud ofbeta has much to be proud ofbeta has much to be proud ofbeta has much to be proud ofbeta has much to be proud ofbeta has much to be proud ofbeta has much to be proud ofbeta has much to be proud ofbeta has much to be proud ofbeta has much to be proud ofbeta has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by theJointedOne View Post
This might get scoffed at but blue dream clone was game changing, from a growers perspective.
To be honest I'm still super impressed by Santa Cruz Blue Dream if it's done well (10 weeks+). Perfect breakfast herb.

The only reason it's not more popular now-a-days is that it had its reputation ruined by fakes and knock-offs. I'm never letting go of this cut, and that's coming from someone who also grows plenty of modern elites (TK, GMO, Chem91, etc...)
beta is offline Quote

11 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:33 PM #23
beta

beta has much to be proud ofbeta has much to be proud ofbeta has much to be proud ofbeta has much to be proud ofbeta has much to be proud ofbeta has much to be proud ofbeta has much to be proud ofbeta has much to be proud ofbeta has much to be proud ofbeta has much to be proud ofbeta has much to be proud of
I'm less interested in what people think they remember about old herb since we tend to romanticize the past.

More interesting would be someone who has an old school cultivar that they can do a side by side comparison with modern cultivars.

Otherwise we're just dealing in worthless, nostalgia tainted memories.
beta is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:40 PM #24
green404
Banned

green404 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen404 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen404 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen404 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen404 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen404 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen404 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen404 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen404 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen404 is a glorious beacon of lightgreen404 is a glorious beacon of light
I think many people have rose colored glasses when remembering 90s weed.

In the 90s I smoked a lot of weed from Nth Cal, Oregon and Colorado. Skunk, Northern Lights, Blueberry, and in the 2000s lots of OG. It was good stuff, much of the focus was on bag appeal people wanted crystal “nugs” that looked good and did not fall apart as bags got carried around.

Now days top shelf weed has to raise above 100s of strains. The standards are much higher. Right now everyone and their dog is trying to make their own strain many are ok, personally I am not interested in just ok weed it's bland.

I love trying all sorts of crosses, hybrids, etc. Many are very nice but only some have the special magic that make them great. We have bigger collection of special magic then we did in the 90s. Good strain grown by a good grower. A couple I keep going back to Golden Goat, Durban Poison, BruceBanner, GSCs, Ogs, GG4, Cheese

Every generation wants to look back with rose colored glasses. I have listened to hours of the "Weed in” Viet Nam, Colombian Gold, “one hit” “kids these days”, bla bla bla. The truth is good weed has made major advancements and is much better today.
green404 is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:07 PM #25
Mikell
Dipshit Know-Nothing

Mikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond repute
Everytime I find a new type I like it is the same story.

Take for example Orange Cookies Wedding Cake.

Smells great, tastes great. Why? The Orange Cookies. Why does that smell great? Cali O.

I'd rather have Cali O, ya'll can keep the hype.
Mikell is online now Quote

9 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:37 PM #26
Lester Beans
Frequent Flyer

Lester Beans has a reputation beyond reputeLester Beans has a reputation beyond reputeLester Beans has a reputation beyond reputeLester Beans has a reputation beyond reputeLester Beans has a reputation beyond reputeLester Beans has a reputation beyond reputeLester Beans has a reputation beyond reputeLester Beans has a reputation beyond reputeLester Beans has a reputation beyond reputeLester Beans has a reputation beyond reputeLester Beans has a reputation beyond repute
Weed back in the day got me HIGH and it made everything fun.

Weed today makes me dumb and useless. It's more of a lethargic stone than a creative high. I don't care about looks, thc percentage, names, etc. I care about a happy positive creative UP effect. And that's really hard to find.
Lester Beans is online now Quote

11 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:42 PM #27
wvkindbud38
Elite Growers Club

wvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to allwvkindbud38 is a name known to all
All this higher standards stuff didn't reinvent the wheel so to speak.....a NEW form of weed/seeds didn't gravitate down from the heavens. The modern weed has been made-crossed outta all the early 2000 stuff from what it appears.

I've never cared about bag appear and all that dispensary stuff. If it looks like shit but was good weed then that what it was. Only commercial guys should care about bag appeal.....at least they used too. I think because we have all these labs testing all these levels and terps and all this stuff. It kinda makes some guys feel like the weed is 10x better because it's lab tested. I'm sure these medical strains are great, but just because it's lab tested doesnt make everything we see a report on terps/ THC is all "top shelf".....it all come from all the stuff us old timers nostalgize over lol

I'm making a comeback !!!!

WV's headin' outdoors 2018 grow

REAL GORILLA SEEDS 9 Strains !!!

Seedsman Fem Collection !!!

Female Seeds Critical Sour & Chem OG !!!

KC Brains Cristal Limit (fem)

Outdoor grow threads & album pics coming soon !!!!!

realgorillaclothing.com

WVs Outdoor Critical/Chem grow !!!
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=354027

WVs Outdoor RealGorilla strains
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=355383

Old 08-14-2018, 06:51 PM #28
wvkindbud38
Elite Growers Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by green404 View Post
I think many people have rose colored glasses when remembering 90s weed.

In the 90s I smoked a lot of weed from Nth Cal, Oregon and Colorado. Skunk, Northern Lights, Blueberry, and in the 2000s lots of OG. It was good stuff, much of the focus was on bag appeal people wanted crystal “nugs” that looked good and did not fall apart as bags got carried around.

Now days top shelf weed has to raise above 100s of strains. The standards are much higher. Right now everyone and their dog is trying to make their own strain many are ok, personally I am not interested in just ok weed it's bland.

I love trying all sorts of crosses, hybrids, etc. Many are very nice but only some have the special magic that make them great. We have bigger collection of special magic then we did in the 90s. Good strain grown by a good grower. A couple I keep going back to Golden Goat, Durban Poison, BruceBanner, GSCs, Ogs, GG4, Cheese

Every generation wants to look back with rose colored glasses. I have listened to hours of the "Weed in” Viet Nam, Colombian Gold, “one hit” “kids these days”, bla bla bla. The truth is good weed has made major advancements and is much better today.

Most of those strains are 90s and/or pre 90s....Durban, Cheese, even these OGs and others listed are sourced from the ear.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:09 PM #29
Home-Grown

Home-Grown will become famous soon enoughHome-Grown will become famous soon enoughHome-Grown will become famous soon enough
I have always thought the hype about grass getting stronger, was establishments propaganda for demonizing and creating fear!

For just a dollar a day, you can save one little pothead.
Seriously, if we find perfection, it will be nothing new!

Old 08-14-2018, 07:11 PM #30
MJPassion
Observer

MJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
I'm less interested in what people think they remember about old herb since we tend to romanticize the past.

More interesting would be someone who has an old school cultivar that they can do a side by side comparison with modern cultivars.

Otherwise we're just dealing in worthless, nostalgia tainted memories.

^^^THIS!^^^

I remember just out of High School ('91 or so) getting bags of some stuff that was being called Alien Green Bud. I'm quite positive it was one of those elites that was renamed & it was being grown a few houses down from me by some folks that had just moved to town. I'm pretty sure they were blowing the house up because about every 3rd or 4th month the entire neighborhood was skunk smelling city. Getting hold of that bud was some fantastic times. It only happened right after harvest then dried up again for the 3 to 4 month wait. It was better than great weed yall. It was the best going around the area at the time.
Fast forward about 10 years later, after tech school, I started a little grow of my own. It was bag seed from some awesome mexican fluff I had purchased in Phoenix. In a QP I think I found a half dozen seeds or so (I don't recall exact details) and saved them. After I had taken a new job and got my first (way too big for me) apartment, I decided I was going to plant some seeds. From those seeds I grew 2 plants, finishing & harvesting one while the other continued growing. That first harvest I didn't even get to sample because I knew nothing about drying & curing buds and they molded in the jar. DOH! That second plant... I still wish I had that plant today. I knew nothing about making clones either. It was as potent and as tasty as anything I've had thus far.

IMO, Today's varieties are not any better than those of yesteryear. I believe we've maxed out potency and folks have realized that potency is not all the hype it's cut out to be. Now the aim is for terps, as well as potency.

The Old School cuts that have been around for 25+ years are definitely the bread & butter of the industry. More folks flock to those seed varieties than any others, from my point of view. Myself included. The fact of the matter is, Those cuts are proven. I think the real test comes down to:

Are the folks that are breeding with those Old cuts smoking the new new or are they consuming the 25+ year old nostalgic cultivars? the answer to this question should be the answer to the OPs question.
MJPassion is offline Quote

5 members found this post helpful.