What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

General Hydroponics announces sale to Hawthorne Group / Scotts Fertilizer

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Many ingredients and raw materials come just from a very few suppliers ;) . Spinosad is quite new and it wouldn't astonish me if the patent is still holding and they are the sole manufacturers...

DrFever

Veteran
Wow,,,, i sit here and wonder why everyone is sooo against Monsanto , when i can see for instance.... huge problems in the not so far future , Drinking water,,, look at California.
Right now, did you know that probably in less then 10 years Texas will be one of the first states to run dry .. And everyone is crying over some business... Sorry that is just lame .
With the population of what over 7 billion ????? how in the hell you going to feed them
Organically that will never ever happen EVER. Although organic Does in fact use Chemicals do ward off pests.
The land , animals suffer you need more land to farm Organically to even come close and yet you will easily still be 30 - 40 percent less harvest one bad year and what ???
You will get to see first hand Family and friends starve to death ... Cause as things become less available , Value increases imagine 20 bucks for a loaf of bread ...
Its bad Enough United states has been eatting up the costs of the goods keeping prices down but if and when the Big wake up call comes ,,, And trust me its coming .. Expect food and gas to spike up 50- 60 percent where it is at now in the rest of the world How many people die every day from starvation now???? in the world I tell you 1 person every 4 seconds
Everyone is easy to blame or point a finger at someone for causing something rather then say hey WTF caan we do to make it Work .
most all soils are depleted in the world and where its still good ???? farm land are being sold did you know Saudi Arabia is buying up Africans farm land at a crazy rate .
Bottom line as drought continues all over USA its only going to get worse harvests
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToY4eeWsdLc

We need companies like Monsanto to make drought resistant seeds that harvest wait till end of this year with possible price increase cause of the drought happening in CALI.

Granger2

Veteran
But you know that BASF, Bayer Crop Science, Dow, Monsanto, and Syngenta are the big five in agrochemicals? DuPont and Monsanto are just the leading seed manufacturers. DuPont is a lot more present in the everyday life, such as nylon stockings... and they are way up the Toxic 100 (Wiki link in German because the English one lists no companies). Good luck avoiding them or were you ready to trash your computer, your cell phone, your car, your house, your wife (she might love cloths and cosmetics and certainly would mind going out without them... ehh... going out of what, without a house?), your life, your everything??
OO,
You're being ridiculous. -granger

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Organically that will never ever happen EVER.

It will and it must. Small scale, local, family farms. Every family with a small backyard garden that offsets their seasonal purchases - will be MANDATORY.

Although organic Does in fact use Chemicals do ward off pests.

Not true. I don't.

The land , animals suffer you need more land to farm Organically to even come close and yet you will easily still be 30 - 40 percent less harvest one bad year and what ???

The soil in many places is decimated by the over application of chemicals. The death of the rhizosphere is exactly what causes dust bowl conditions. Organic farming is JUST AS productive as ANY chemical method...if not more so as the field health increase year to year.

We need companies like Monsanto to make drought resistant seeds that harvest wait till end of this year with possible price increase cause of the drought happening in CALI.

This is the most absurd statement of all. Drought resistance is a result of proper organic matter and tilth. The healthy of the plant is reliant upon the health of the soil. The LAST thing we need is the companies responsible for how we got in this mess to "save" us from it.

My responses in bold - I've NEVER seen anyone so against organics on this site as you are. It's like the freedom of it offends you...lol.

What's sad - is so many of your claims have absolutely ZERO basis to substantiate them. It would almost be funny if I didn't know you were serious. You need to re-educate yourself on what it is you think you know about organics...because you are WAY off base.

It's funny. My veggie garden looks better, yields more nutritious and flavorful food than every farm field / commercial greenhouse in my area. I NEVER ONCE spray with ANY chemical or pesticide or fungicide or herbicide, etc. Not even labeled / approved organic treatments.

TRULY HEALTHY plants are naturally resistant to disease and are unattractive to pests...

All that aside - if we really cared about the world and starvation - our current agriculture methods ARE ENOUGH to feed the whole world. All we have to do is stop eating cows and the grain used to feed them could feed the world.

dank.Frank

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
All that aside - I saw this type of move coming from Scotts / Miracle-Gro.

A couple years ago an offer was made by the same corporation to purchase my NSPB: FLF formulation...

I laughed at their offer then and I'd do the same today. But it was foreshadowing of things to come for sure.

dank.Frank

DrFever

Veteran
My responses in bold - I've NEVER seen anyone so against organics on this site as you are. It's like the freedom of it offends you...lol.

What's sad - is so many of your claims have absolutely ZERO basis to substantiate them. It would almost be funny if I didn't know you were serious. You need to re-educate yourself on what it is you think you know about organics...because you are WAY off base.

It's funny. My veggie garden looks better, yields more nutritious and flavorful food than every farm field / commercial greenhouse in my area. I NEVER ONCE spray with ANY chemical or pesticide or fungicide or herbicide, etc. Not even labeled / approved organic treatments.

TRULY HEALTHY plants are naturally resistant to disease and are unattractive to pests...

All that aside - if we really cared about the world and starvation - our current agriculture methods ARE ENOUGH to feed the whole world. All we have to do is stop eating cows and the grain used to feed them could feed the world.

dank.Frank

Quite frankly Dank you are probably talking about your indoor garden ???? put your organic plants outside to the elements and see what happens :) with out any pesticides and see what happens :)
Lets go one step further what organic farmers use for compost SHIT from live stock well its scientifically proven that grains do not have the same nutrient value as previous harvests 20 - 30 years ago.. Hence why Soya beans are added even in the food for humans
And to be honest in today's Ranches they supliment there cows with bare min supplements vitamins , steroids and Fill ( Saw dust ) literally so ,,, the cows that a grazing ,,, First off are eating grass that has less nutrient value ..But the problem is these so called organic ranches is they harvest 40 - 60 percent less what happens in winter when they run out of feed ,, and buy feed from farmers that have shit loads more hey in there bins,, Chemically fed.
When you buy your manures how sure are you that that cow was fed organics
Marketing has come a long way to misleading people into believing that something is ... When in fact its not .... Anyways
so shit has less nutrient value when put back into soil you have less actual nutrients so adding more compost means what ??? you need to add more compost ,, And in turn you need to add more compost ,,, this leads me to next Question
When is to much compost to much ,,, how many organic growers growing weed actually get a soil test done Do you Frank ???
Cause i think there is a fine line when adding compost to much compost means that any species of plant will not grow a big root system it doesn't have to look for nutrients there fore like my father once said when the wind blows your corn over cause of to much nutrients in your soil from over composting...
Now with many tests scientifically speaking in large agricultural fields organic vs chemical nutrients ??? who do you think is winning ??
If you were to do a side by side same strain you think your organic grow would come out on top ?? in YIELD, or quality Don't fool your self NPK is NPK when you break it down, to a science.
Its a chemical compound ,,, Only difference is one has to be broken down for plants to use it other is readily available :biggrin:

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No. My veggie garden is not an indoor garden...

I've never sprayed anything on my outdoor canna plants either. I've never needed to.

You're using the term compost wrong. Again, just proof to the fact your understanding of not only organics...but even the terminologies leaves much room for expanded understanding. Enough said.

I love how you always spout science but NEVER provide proof of your own statements. It's all just rhetoric. You hate organics. End of the story.

dank.Frank

Snype

Veteran
Thats interesting.....you do know whos pocket thats going in.....right?????

Just curious

I don't get all caught up on these types of issues like some people here. I just want my trusted formula that I've been using for many years. I'm scared that it will change so I'm protecting myself. No one else is going to protect me better than me.

DrFever

Veteran
I think Burnt rope is onto something i also do not think they will change the recipe anytime soon ... they my tweek it i mean really You may not like Monsato but with there science and testing possibly in the MJ field they may know stuff like what the government has in store for this in upcoming years there like any business getting the jump on everyone else

catalyte

Veteran
saw this coming in a way...

another reason for me NOT to use GH!

roundup is one of the worst chemical products in the world and there is no reason for anyone who grows medical cannabis (and cares about the health of their family) to support such a diabolical company.

HiFiGanja

98% of growers won't care and its been known in the industry for a long time that GH was going to be Scott's. Seems the only one that didn't know was Big Mike and once again he want on to his anti GH rant. Best part is if he put all that ranting effort into pumping less AN BS, AN might be sell a bit more than GH 20-1 win in sales over AN.

Where do growers go to when other products don't work for them, they go back to the roots which is GH.

I personally don't give a flying fuck about any of the manufacturers including GH but you can't deny GH is the most stable brand when it comes to less BS from advertising, no changing the labels every year, no renaming products every two years ie F1 is called Golden Goddess.

They did an awesome job on creating the brand, burning it into peoples minds and keeping that image stable for decades.

Last edited:

DrFever

Veteran

Attachments

• IMG1153.jpg
    IMG1153.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 13

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
No more GH, once present stores of CaliMagic run out (my CalMag of choice). Pure principle. Miracle-Gro caused an old friend to get very bad cancer. It was in Her water supply, due to previous residents on the 50 acre property. They were asshole growers pouring Miracle-Gro directly into the well. And using it to feed the plants on an early 70's Gonzo Mendo grow scene. She moved in to the house later, after the occupiers were arrested, and the land had became a preserve. No one told Her about the Miracle Gro in the well, and She drank from it for years. Hence the Cancers.

Several operations later, She;s OK. But, it sits poorly with Me.

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
Same boat as you snype.. stock up now or move on... i got multiple 6gals of each but think its time to work a new brand in.... ces is supposedly very similar made by disgruntled exgh lab workers...

catalyte

Veteran
New Millenium Nutrients are supposedly formulated by ex GH chemists too... i hear it is very good. Better NPK ratio's for cannabis than the good 'ol GH Bloom and Micro combo at 2-1 ratio that people have been using for decades....