You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Organic Soil > Compost tea with spent pot leaves

Thread Title Search
Compost tea with spent pot leaves Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-18-2018, 10:32 PM #11
Lapides
Rosin Junky and Certified Worm Wrangler

Lapides has a brilliant futureLapides has a brilliant futureLapides has a brilliant futureLapides has a brilliant futureLapides has a brilliant futureLapides has a brilliant futureLapides has a brilliant futureLapides has a brilliant futureLapides has a brilliant futureLapides has a brilliant futureLapides has a brilliant future
Any weed that I grow that doesn't get smoked ends up on the surface of my beds or in my worm bin. It's been this way for years.

If it were a vector, I probably would have had a problem before it wasn't part of a plant anymore.

Obviously if I had fucked up diseased plants, I wouldn't use the material.

Recycling Dirt Is Ridiculously Easy

The LEDs That Are Changing the Game
You can't stop me. I'm like a weed. I might disappear for a moment or two, but I will pop up somewhere else and will never stop growing.

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

Lapides is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:48 PM #12
Siskiyou

Siskiyou is a name known to allSiskiyou is a name known to allSiskiyou is a name known to allSiskiyou is a name known to allSiskiyou is a name known to allSiskiyou is a name known to allSiskiyou is a name known to allSiskiyou is a name known to allSiskiyou is a name known to allSiskiyou is a name known to allSiskiyou is a name known to all
I have been putting all unused plant material into my worm bin for several years. Every bit of root, leaf and stem eventually goes into the soil of future grows. One of my favorite additions to the bin is the "mash" or leftover bud and trim from making bubble hash. When I make compost tea, which isn't as often these days, the composted plant material is integrated into the EWC component.

I have also used the bokashi method to pre-ferment the plant material before adding to the worm bin and it works very well. Plant matter decomposes rapidly and worms really love bokashi treated compost and the effective microrganisms used for bokashi are healthy and useful additions to the soil.

I have also dropped leaves and chopped up stem pieces directly to the soil and let them compost in place over the course of the grow, serving as mulch and getting incorporated into the soil that way without any negative issues.

I have never just put uncomposted leaves into an ACT, however.

My soil is over 5 years old now and just keeps getting better.

Lapides knows what he's talking about.

Seeds, Soil and 16 Square Feet
Siskiyou is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:56 PM #13
DEATH BY SNUSNU

DEATH BY SNUSNU will become famous soon enoughDEATH BY SNUSNU will become famous soon enough
Use it all!
Stem
Trim
Ash
Even my resin clogs go back into my soil....the worms love that shit!
DEATH BY SNUSNU is offline Quote

Old 08-21-2018, 02:37 AM #14
MedResearcher

MedResearcher is just really niceMedResearcher is just really niceMedResearcher is just really niceMedResearcher is just really niceMedResearcher is just really niceMedResearcher is just really niceMedResearcher is just really niceMedResearcher is just really niceMedResearcher is just really niceMedResearcher is just really niceMedResearcher is just really nice
Pot leaves are stock full of nutrients, especially if you have a well fed healthy plant. Think of all the extra trace minerals and nutrients you feed the plant, ends up in the leaves. If your like me, your canna plants are more well fed than anything else in the garden. So the leaves are some of the richest green material you have available.

I chop and drop my cuttings outside. Mulch, nutrients, worm food, etc.... I think its beneficial, but I also do agree it can raise the risk for problems. As in, if you had something bad already present in your soil, it may speed up the process. As well, the fungus that you don't want to attack your alive plants, may thrive more in canna leaves and stems than compared to say alfalfa(this is just my theory).

I think if your nervous about it, a safer practice would be fully composting or EWC'ing the leaves away from the plants, then apply them to the soil. Myself, I am to lazy, and have to many clippings to collect, so they get chopped and dropped. Large stems, I will cut them up a bit. End of the year, I use a chipper. Chip everything we don't harvest directly on top of the soil. Worm food for the winter!

Back to the OP question.. in a compost tea. Personally I like my compost tea simple. Compost/EWC, Molasses, maybe some fish hydro slate, alfalfa and rock dust if I have it on hand. A purist, microbe tea.

My theory on the bubble hash water. Some of the nutrients are leeching into the water. So the water is like a light version of a nutrient leachate. Similar to soaking alfalfa over night and watering with it.

I think a FPJ, would work great. The leaves get fully digested, and fed back to the soil with increased speed. To lazy this season. I will give it a whirl next year.

Mr^^
MedResearcher is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:39 PM #15
Klompen

Klompen has much to be proud ofKlompen has much to be proud ofKlompen has much to be proud ofKlompen has much to be proud ofKlompen has much to be proud ofKlompen has much to be proud ofKlompen has much to be proud ofKlompen has much to be proud ofKlompen has much to be proud ofKlompen has much to be proud ofKlompen has much to be proud of
I have used it for mulch in the past. If you think about it, in nature the leaves from any given type of plant tend to fall to the base of that plant. Generally they are well-adapted to consume that mulch without issue. Some plants have some weird issues, such as tomatoes tending to blight from their own rotting fruit from the previous season, but most plants do not suffer anything negative from mulch produced by their lost foliage.
Klompen is offline Quote

Old 09-10-2018, 01:52 PM #16
Switcher56

Switcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud ofSwitcher56 has much to be proud of
All leaves that get discarded, get discarded to the compost bin. I recycle my soil (after cleaning) to a tub to be used outdoors, vice buying new soil. From there, the soil will de disposed of to a flower bed after it has done its deed.
Switcher56 is offline Quote

Old 09-10-2018, 02:36 PM #17
GOT_BUD?

GOT_BUD? is a splendid one to beholdGOT_BUD? is a splendid one to beholdGOT_BUD? is a splendid one to beholdGOT_BUD? is a splendid one to beholdGOT_BUD? is a splendid one to beholdGOT_BUD? is a splendid one to beholdGOT_BUD? is a splendid one to beholdGOT_BUD? is a splendid one to beholdGOT_BUD? is a splendid one to beholdGOT_BUD? is a splendid one to beholdGOT_BUD? is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwgdg View Post
I take lawn clippings weeds etc. Soak in big tub for few days giving a couple stirs everyday, plants go apeshit over it!!!
You, my friend, have unwittingly started down the path of Korean Natural Farming. You should continue down the rabbit hole...
GOT_BUD? is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:55 PM #18
707OGBUSH970

707OGBUSH970 is a jewel in the rough707OGBUSH970 is a jewel in the rough707OGBUSH970 is a jewel in the rough707OGBUSH970 is a jewel in the rough707OGBUSH970 is a jewel in the rough707OGBUSH970 is a jewel in the rough
They always go in my worm bin.
707OGBUSH970 is offline Quote