What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

White spots on my leaves

Gio88

Hi! This my autoflowering royal creamatic, 1 weeks ago these white spots have started to appear on the leaves, may this affect the future harvest? There a way to solve the problem? Thanks

Attachments

• B6514794-1903-4D4A-BCBD-5C58F0DF555F.jpg
    B6514794-1903-4D4A-BCBD-5C58F0DF555F.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 19
T

Teddybrae

Cobber, this looks to me like you have a Cal/Mg issue. The white spots may indicate a Calcium shortage. The veins in the older leaves may indicate a Mg shortage. This is typical of young Cannabis plants.

You haven't said how you grow ... but if you're in soil then Dolomite sprinkled over the surface of the soil ... NOT TOO MUCH ... only like sugar on a donut ... then water in and you will soon see changes for the better.

Otherwise the golden centre of the plant shows it is growing well!

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Hi! This my autoflowering royal creamatic, 1 weeks ago these white spots have started to appear on the leaves, may this affect the future harvest? There a way to solve the problem? Thanks
Some small insect damage.

However I agree and have come to believe that major insect damage may be the result of nutrient deficiencies.

My guess is the roots need more development, which itself also helps solve a lot of nutrient deficiency issues.

And they need a little epsom salt, both for the magnesium - which keeps the leaves nice and green and phototropic - and for the sulfur - which helps produce terpenes - which is one way in which weed protects itself against insect attack.

A little bloom food (0.2 EC to 0.4 EC maximum), a little epsom salt, and they should be fine.

And don't water too often. Roots grow better when the soil is a little dry.

Gio88

thanks for the answer! i'm growin indoor with light mh 150w , so i've to add magnesium a little bloom food (can i use biobizz bio bloom even if it's not on a bloom phase?) what can i use to keep away small insects?

ps i posted an update

Attachments

• IMG_0918.jpg
    IMG_0918.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 17

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
thanks for the answer! i'm growin indoor with light mh 150w , so i've to add magnesium a little bloom food (can i use biobizz bio bloom even if it's not on a bloom phase?) what can i use to keep away small insects?

ps i posted an update
Biobizz Bloom is great - the key is that it has relatively higher P levels than N levels.

As long as you get the roots growing, the plant can outgrow all the damage so far, pretty easily.

To discourage insects in the mean time, you can use neem oil as directed, and add just enough liquid dish soap to dissolve the neem oil in water. To really eradicate them, you can add drops of pyrethrin as directed (usually 10 drops to a quart). It is all organically approved, except maybe the dish soap (Castille Soap is completely organic).

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Insects LOVE deficient plants because healthy ones are tougher for them to munch on.

That said,
Those white spots look like light damage to me. Possibly a drop of water concentrated the light on a particular spot on the leaf surface.

Gio88

Insects LOVE deficient plants because healthy ones are tougher for them to munch on.

That said,
Those white spots look like light damage to me. Possibly a drop of water concentrated the light on a particular spot on the leaf surface.

it can be! thanks for your suggestions , i'll start to give magnesium and bio bloom to my plats and buy oil neem!

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Do not add epsom to your soil. It will cause lockout issues down the road.

If you suspect a Mg deficiency you can test by adding 1/4 tea spoon Epsom to a gallon of water and giving your lil plant(s) a foliar spray. If Mg is in shortage you will see the plants green up over the next few hours.

As for the Neem. You should determine if you or anybody else that may be using your buds is sensitive to it. It can cause detrimental health issues in sensitive folks.

Gio88

at home i have Magnesium pidolate , can i give it to the plant? where i can buy this epsom?thanks

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
420giveaway
at home i have Magnesium pidolate , can i give it to the plant? where i can buy this epsom?thanks

Get some epsom salt at the gardening center! Dont use the pidolate. No one knows what this will do. If you are not in the English speaking countries look for Magnesium sulfate (MgSO4). It has probably a different name than Epsom salt in other countries.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran

1. Magnesium Dipolate

No, nay, never. :) It has sodium dipolate in it. You should keep any concentrations of sodium far away from your plants. Just use natural stuff - epsom salt, maerl which you can put in tapwater or r/o water, and 1:3 parts of the maerl (magnesium lime) water and r/o water will clear up any magnesium deficiency.

2. The plant's damage.

The reason I think it is insect damage, is that

a) you can see very small dots within the dots of damage, this is typical damage caused by small mouthed insects muching on leaves and

b) the damage has distorted some leaves, which is typical damage you also see in mite infections.

My guess is that if you check the underside of any of the leaves, there is still something on it.

Last edited:

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
420giveaway
I see a lot little insects around the plant but I dom’t know How to keep them away! Anyway is it serious my plant can be ruined?

Which kind of insects? You should take pictures and show them!

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
How can solve it? With virgin neem oil?
1. Let the plant outgrow the damage.

By stimulating the root system with P from bloom food, you are allowing the plant to overcome any minor damage like this.

Also, cannabis is used to growing around lots of bugs. That's why it produces all these resin glands and terpenes. They're deadly for insects. They get stuck, stoned and absorbed by the plants, which like the pectins the insects are made of - same pectin endophytic fungi are made of (probably not a coincidence). Cannabis is one big Venus Flytrap.

However when they're very small, they are more vulnerable to insect damage. For instance fungus gnat larvae are only fatal for germinating seeds.

2. Identify the insect, and look up what their favorite environment is. Is is wet, dry, hot, cold, what's their temperature range?

If it diverges from cannabis' ideal environment, that's a clue to what may be wrong in the grow room.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You can use unscented dish soap mixed with vegetable oil and/or dilute alcohol for a lot of small insects.

The soap/oil mix will clog the insects spiracles (breathing parts) and they will suffocate.
Alcohol causes them to desicate (dry out).

Gio88

i've already ordered epsom salt and neem soil (who should arrive tomorrow) , today i will give water and biobloom biobizz! yesterday i haven't given water to the plant to dry the soil! thank for the help i hope i did everything right!

therevverend

Veteran
Epsom salts is a good idea. Might want to add a bit of calcium too.

I'm not seeing insect damage on the plant itself. I'm sure you're seeing Fungus Gnats. Little flies that swarm around the top of your soil. Infect the roots. Spraying neem on the plant won't eliminate the gnats because they're in the soil. Their eggs and larvae are in the soil so pesticides can't get to them.

Hang some fly paper right on the soil. See how many stick to it. Give you an idea how bad it is.

I haven't dealt with fungus gnats in a long time. I know there's better ways to get rid of them now, I just googled fungus gnats and a lot of products and videos popped up. You can look at other threads here, lots of other growers have this problem. Or look on the internet you'll find some great cures. There's a lot of organic biological controls that I'd try before resorting to chemicals.

Gio88

How and when do you suggest to use the neem oil? I read it should be mixed with soap and water is it right? 5ml /1L of water and used the morning or during the night? Thank you

Gio88

i found difficult mix neem oil with water! i shook it as much as possbile but seemed like residues were formed(in the water) m anway i also mix it with a tiny hint of soap! i hope it worked!

Latest posts

Latest posts