What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Flushing

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
If you harvest and still have a "green plant" isn't it a sign of chlorophyll in your leaves?
Yes, yes it is. Even when the sugar leaves are yellow/tan/gold and dry, the flowers still have green in them. Just not so much it's a harshfest when you quick dry. Your flowers should smoke clean, smooth and tasty when simply dried. Not much chlorophyll at all.

Drewsif

Some grows leaf is nasty while the calyx is delicious. Always a rating metric when selling herb of several competent growers in the past. I'll even pluck your hairs and vape em. They have their own sweetness.

End users quantify these qualities without really acknowledging it, leaf calyx and hair are three vastly different products blended together, each with their own contribution. Is bad tasting leaf a function of nutrient buildup? Wicking of environmental contaminants which resin caked calyx are protected against? Chlorophyll?

Funny one used to be able to be that picky about now-retired growers: Leaf taste, how it ground, and how it held its flavor and potency (always coincides) after a 10-15 minute decarb at 400f. There was nothing else to judge by outside of personal preference. That realm of quality doesn't exist to 99% of today's users. I strive to be that guy who's herb tastes just as good and hits just as hard after 20 minutes in the oven. Has nothing to do with genetics.

R

romanolescro

with a good bud you can even smoke the big leave with no resin on it and you will finish with a clear white ash
the key is giving the right quantity of nutrients, cut the N on the end and if you can give some days of plain water

but like i said previously i used to rinse to much and make sugar leaves yellow
its bad

if properly fed you can even get away without giving plain water at the end
but its a plus to do it

Douglas.Curtis

Yep, even the fan leaves smoke clean. They don't taste very good, lol, but they smoke to a clean ash. :)

Personally, I only do a 5 day plain water flush with hydro. At this point I've already tapered the nutes slowly and the sugar leaves are dying. 5 days of pure r/o usually ends up with a ppm of around 300. :D

Wow...lots of different input....I've been working a ton over the past few weeks so haven't been back to read.
I've always flushed with water ph'd to 6.2. And usually give it a heavy watering/flushing until I see runoff numbers dropping to a lower number.
The majority of the time my stuff burns really nice with a super white ash with this method. 2 of the 4 strains I grew this time didn't seem to burn quite as well as I'm used to with a bit darker ash, and the other 2 burn amazing. And everything got the same flush. I don't think I had any bud rot or mold, so not sure what's happening.
Do you guys let your plants dry out completely (where leaves start to droop a bit) before harvest?
Do some strains just not burn as good as others no matter what you do?

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
D.c., have you posted your feeding schedule before? I would love to learn.
You say you stop feeding n- when?
If you have time, I would love to learn more.

Douglas.Curtis

The majority of the time my stuff burns really nice with a super white ash with this method. 2 of the 4 strains I grew this time didn't seem to burn quite as well as I'm used to with a bit darker ash, and the other 2 burn amazing. And everything got the same flush. I don't think I had any bud rot or mold, so not sure what's happening.
Different plants have different needs. The darker/harsher burning plants were overfed, if everything was the same.

The issue with plants which are great at phytoremediation (cannabis is great at it, yes), they look wonderfully healthy while they pack away excess elements where they won't flush out. Not even 2 months of plain water will flush these elements out, they're locked in very well.

D.c., have you posted your feeding schedule before? I would love to learn.
You say you stop feeding n- when?
If you have time, I would love to learn more.
The link in my sig explains the full pH swing I use. This allows 600ppm to 750ppm nutrient levels under a 1K hps, on a .5 conversion ppm meter. (HM brand)

insomniac_AU

My personal opinion with flushing is I'm basically looking for the plant to not be dark green. 2 weeks works for me in hydro. Here's the effect of 2 weeks flush.

Day 42 (start of flush)

picture.php

Day 56 (after 14 days flush)

picture.php

axle2u

hey bro let me bring my 2 cent

i spent some time before being satisfied with my buds

always looking for that clear white ash .. linked to flushing
with organic nute it will be less flagrant but with hydro if you give too much nute and dont flush .... black hard ash ... even shinny sometimes lol

with organic you wont really notice if it isnt well flushed. the only way to know is to roll a spliff and taste ... if you get headache after a big one there is salt left in the bud ...

let me tell you how to flush in soil

first you must not give too much nutrients during bloom ... if nute company tell you 4ml/liter, only give 2 and see
end of bloom when you notice bud are maturing cut mostly the N too

and the key is not to switch quickly from water+full strenght nute to just water

you must decrease the feed .. exemple

week 6 : 2ml of bloom 1ml of grow
week 7 : 1ml of bloom 0.5 of grow
week 8: 0.5 ml bloom 0 of grow
week 9/10: pure water

if you do this your bud will taste great

and no you wont loose on the scale, if you flush like i say you will notice your bud will explode at the end ... with nutrient till the end not realy ...

in hydro its pretty the same but you can do it without flush because you can controle the drain of your watering ... and always give the right amount

ex: 1.2 ms in and 1.1/1.2 ms on the runoff, you're in the sweet spot, and doing this way yes you can get away without flush and your product will still be good ...

your plants must not finish dark green !! that N will kill your taste !! fan leaves must fade ;) but you must flush the P, k etc too ... so plain water is important at the end

peace my friends
hope im understandable, my english is far from good :p

your English is just fine, thank you

Latest posts

Latest posts