What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis edibles and infection recovery

MedBelgUsr

Hello,

When I get a cold ( flu, bronchitis, etc ), if I take some cannabis ( I never smoked and I dont vape, I just take edibles ), I'm nearly convinced that it is delaying my recovery ...

Am I the only one to experience that ?

Cheers
Vincent

N.B. : Trust me, I'm 100 % pro cannabis and I have neurological disease that will always have me take some till I'm 6 feet under, but it wouldnt be fair to blindly see cannabis as "good for everything" medecine if indeed it influences negatively the reaction of your own immune system when you get an infection ... so I hope to trigger comments.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Can marijuana help with colds and flu? The substances that fight the flu and strengthen the immune system are known as flavonoids. They are found in all plants. The cannabis plant contains flavonoids that are not found in other plants. This is what acts as part of the anti-inflammatory effects of the cannabis plant. If you are getting sick a lot, it means your body is lacking in the important flavonoid department.

Marijuana can help fix that imbalance. The plant helps to protect blood cells from rupturing, as well as increasing the body’s vitamin C supply. Cannabis is known to have anti-inflammatory properties and it also acts as an antioxidant.

When sick, it is not recommended that you smoke marijuana. If you smoke it, you are only going to irritate your throat and lungs further and you may end up getting worse. Medicate yourself against flu and colds by ingesting cannabis through edibles or by taking a little cannabis oil. You can also make marijuana infused tea, which helps you to sleep and feel better.
http://www.medicalmarijuanaupdate.com/2016-04-08-how-marijuana-can-help-with-flu-and-colds.html

jtm

Some kind of shaman
Veteran
I always use colloidal silver for colds (or other infections), in large quantities rather (100-500mL/day), with very good results, being an antiviral and antibacterian.
However, at some moments, I tried to use medicines to alleviate some symptoms, like cough: cannabis or opium (this being the best). After such a bad time, I was on opium then (small doses, only 20-50mg/day), when I ceased opium, well, what can I say is ... you don't want to know what I got from my lungs/trachea: all the shit wich was needed to be expectorated in a couple of days!
The same thing is true for other categories of medicines, even natural, like antiinflamatory medicines, wich partly or mainly mask the problem. Cannabis is in this category, an antiinflamatory medicine, so...

A better answer to your question, is that THC, at least in some dose, seems to be an immunosupresant, not an immunostimulator. I quote from a study in this direction:

"Marijuana cannabinoids present us with a double edged sword," [...], because they can cause increased susceptibility to [...] infections, but they can also open the door to opportunities to treat disorders where a suppressed immune system is beneficial, such as arthritis, multiple sclerosis, lupus and hepatitis.

The same is true for many herbs, not only for cannabis. There are not many miracle medicines on this planet, good for all (even the adaptogens are good to alleviate or cure many health problems, but not all of them, I mean, one adaptogen herb for all diseases, you got it...).

So, for colds, use rather vitamin C, black cumin oil, colloidal silver, keeping cannabis for after. Eventually, if needed for a mood lifter, but I would say this is all it can do in the case of infections.

Oh, one thing, for skin infections, there may be something else, when combined with the mentioned remedies (and many other, like propolis or calendula extracts, etc); this way it may be something else, because it may act directly like an antibacterial, at least in some cases.

Galaxy420

Hello,

When I get a cold ( flu, bronchitis, etc ), if I take some cannabis ( I never smoked and I dont vape, I just take edibles ), I'm nearly convinced that it is delaying my recovery ...

Am I the only one to experience that ?

Cheers
Vincent

N.B. : Trust me, I'm 100 % pro cannabis and I have neurological disease that will always have me take some till I'm 6 feet under, but it wouldnt be fair to blindly see cannabis as "good for everything" medecine if indeed it influences negatively the reaction of your own immune system when you get an infection ... so I hope to trigger comments.

you will find those beneficial effects from wild land race genetics high in THC-v. reports are showing THC-v to be the new antibiotic of the future. I've seen a patent for CBD-v killing cancer too

MedBelgUsr

you will find those beneficial effects from wild land race genetics high in THC-v. reports are showing THC-v to be the new antibiotic of the future. I've seen a patent for CBD-v killing cancer too

Thanks for the tips.

Would you know a good strain to grow that would be high in THC-V ? This year I have grown feminized Durban Poison from Dutch Passion ... it was crap to put it straigth ... the phenotype of the 6 plants ( from the same bag ) were all different ...

On a side note, am I the only one to wonder if there are still good breeders ? and not commercial websites where employees post under each strain : "oh it's so great", "best strain ever", etc ....

MedBelgUsr

A better answer to your question, is that THC, at least in some dose, seems to be an immunosupresant, not an immunostimulator. I quote from a study in this direction:

"Marijuana cannabinoids present us with a double edged sword," [...], because they can cause increased susceptibility to [...] infections, but they can also open the door to opportunities to treat disorders where a suppressed immune system is beneficial, such as arthritis, multiple sclerosis, lupus and hepatitis.

That's an interesting study you're quoting, if the effect switches from immunostimulator to immunosupresant based on the dosage, it would make dosing correctly very hasardous ... I wonder if, based on the response of [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Galaxy420 , avoiding "common" THC and go for THC-V wouldnt be something to try ... but like I mentionned : how to be sure we're still sold the right strains/seeds ?

Thanks for your reaction :)
[/FONT]

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I'm just getting over the flu (10 days
sneezing.gif
) but the first signs were a soar throat.. I took some (a decent dab) decarbed rosin and put it on the roof of my mouth and let it dissolve, helped tremendously. Took care of my throat and my head..:biggrin:

Galaxy420

Thanks for the tips.

Would you know a good strain to grow that would be high in THC-V ? This year I have grown feminized Durban Poison from Dutch Passion ... it was crap to put it straigth ... the phenotype of the 6 plants ( from the same bag ) were all different ...

On a side note, am I the only one to wonder if there are still good breeders ? and not commercial websites where employees post under each strain : "oh it's so great", "best strain ever", etc ....

that would be the thing- you would have to go to the country that the wild land races are found and get stock there.... supposedly breeders have gotten some of those genetics to breed into their seed lines but as to thc-v remaining in the lineage??