What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Green Acres - Yosemite Foothills

jbarsk8

Hi all. Quick history. Been reading on overgrow and selling ounces since i was in highschool. They shut down overgrow and i came here. I always loved the plant. Always had a passion for it, intensely. As life progressed i worked many restaurant type jobs while running a few lights in hydro setups and dumping all of my product to coworkers. Relocated from the far reaches of alaska to the bright lights of vegas. Life changed when i met one man, way way up in the sticks on the 101. When i went to his 250 acre ranch my life changed forever. I then, for the first time, knew that i could grow product that could be on the same level if not better than my measely indoor setups and could be done with the sun. Minimal overhead except of course the material expenses and such. Dont get me wrong, those expenses are huge but quite a few of them are one time deals and then just maintaining. I worked with this old man, got to know his product, saved my sheckles and bought my ranch. Best move ive ever made. I will never sell this place. Fully off-grid. Mile long triple gated driveway. 2 artesian springs. The work has been endless. It doesnt stop, but its what i love to do and could never (would never) do anything else. Self taught self trained, learning as i go. Many things seem over whelming and most of the time once completed i find myself saying, "that was it?"
Hope some old friends may chime in or drop by. Lost contact with some folks over the years due to unfortunate circumstances....thats the rough reality in this business. Best to be safe. Big shout out to my buddies in the mountain ranch area, you know who you are, we need to hook back up. Pics to come, ask questions, talk shit, rant, whatever.

Last edited:

jbarsk8

Couple hoop house shots, DIY pvc and gh plastic ive used for prob 3 straight years

Couple presidential ogs doing pretty decent considering recent transplant and mid to upper 30s lastnight

jbarsk8

The stuff many dont think about. Rough hard ass labor, better know how to at least swing a pick axe. This 2" mainline i ran has made a world of difference with my gravity fed pressure as well as volume of water i can now deliver effectively and timely.

jbarsk8

I popped about 40 beans. Sfv og x afgoo, tahoe og x afgoo, and some Yum. Was hoping to have lots more but thats just how it goes sometimes. The sfv og and tahoe do great in this climate so i will be getting cuttings taken today from the mothers to supplement the rest of the garden with. I have lots of dirt but need to ammend it. Not sure yet if i wanna do planter boxes, mounds, or smarties again but they are only 200s and that seems so damn tiny. Gophers everywhere but my full term garden is on bedrock. They cant burrow from the ground but worried mounds may look so delicious they make the 100 yard dash and dive in those things from the top. Thoughts?? Lots and lots to do and time is ticking. That bitch named mother nature doesnt seem to wait around for anyone.

jbarsk8

Nice work... A fellow Alaskan here. I'll be checking this one out for sure. Nor Cal all the way

Good for you to drop in. My "career" started in Ak and although ive lived many places, i truly feel alaskan. That place is very special. I still think about maybe going back and starting something up there. Numbers where i was from, are incredibly high compared to anywhere else ive been in this country.

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
You're living the dream! One of these days I'll retire from my day job and do like you're doing. Life in the big city is not getting any easier, but I'm hoping I can bug outta here in 5-7 more years. Thankfully, I can grow in my yard, but I hope to spread my wings someday and have a real farm.

Good luck to you and I hope you have a great season!

HB.

jbarsk8

You're living the dream! One of these days I'll retire from my day job and do like you're doing. Life in the big city is not getting any easier, but I'm hoping I can bug outta here in 5-7 more years. Thankfully, I can grow in my yard, but I hope to spread my wings someday and have a real farm.

Good luck to you and I hope you have a great season!

HB.

Hemphrey I appreciate that. I still pinch myself sometimes, but don't get it wrong, this life isn't for everyone. Work work work and more work but the best part is, it's all for yourself and your family. The stress is on you, the rewards, the loss....very exciting. I understand the city, and it is not the life for me.

You too man, I resonate a lot with what you are saying, will be following for sure it looks beautiful and such an amazing area down there!

jbarsk8

You too man, I resonate a lot with what you are saying, will be following for sure it looks beautiful and such an amazing area down there!

I appreciate that, thank you. Ya I will do my best to portray this thing accurately, and for me, that means things aren't always perfect. However, they do get done, and we will come through in the end...it's all about how you finish, not about the bumps you have along the way. Many people get derailed and actually scared when they feel resistance or feel something difficult, daunting maybe. Just gotta keep chugging along.

Nice. Setbacks are what (eventually) make us stronger more knowledgeable farmers. I know how it goes been dealin' with 'em all year...er...years :)