What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

weed causing heavy heart beat

ghostmade

Veteran
I just want to say that this tread has opened my eyes and has made me feel alot better.im going through evrything on this tread but you all have literally changed me for the better! I am so happy thanks

MrAwder

I skimmed the thread and not sure if it was mentioned, but what about caffeine? I am a heavy coffee drinker but every now and then certain times mixing strains and coffee/caffeine can make me notice increased & heavier heartbeat.

Another possibility - is he also a grower? If so, is he using Hot Shot No Pest Strips in his grow? These have been linked to chest tightness and irregular heartbeat in cases of over-exposure. I only know because I had this reaction after using them to decontaminate my space a while back.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
it is an unfortunate fact that cannabis use CAN contribute to a higher heart rate, I have seen it many times myself. if you are also subject to an irregular heartbeat on occasion, it can be scary. I avoid all known sativas for that reason, & this is why I am searching for a balanced THC/CBD indica/high % indica hybrid. this would kill more birds per stone, if you will pardon the expression...

snuggles

I only get a higher heartrate from certain strains, f.e.: Double Dutch (Serious Seeds).
What I have noticed is, that i get no such symptoms when smoking hash/bubble/etc.
Only when I smoke weed and only with certain strains.

castrau5

I'm a 10 year smoker and came across these symptoms before and so has a few of my friends. It all started around 2011 in San diego when everyone and there brother decided to be pot growers. I would buy from dispenceries that would buy there pot from some bad growers. The medical field is unregulated and the weed wasn't getting tested for pesticides, mold, etc... And some bags I would buy would burn black ash, crackle while smoking, flame up for no reason. My research at the time told me that there was to much of a sweetener in the plant that wasn't flushed out. So I stopped shopping at dispenceries and found a solid connect that I knew wasn't growing weed to kill me. All symptoms have stopped and I smoke an ounce per week all different strains but grown with care.

2 Legal Co

Veteran
I get just a mild version of what he's experiencing. Smoking is what seems to do it, and with me also, it is non strain specific. (I grow hybrids AK47, W Russian, Jilly Beans, Sour Diesel, and last but not least an old Hippy strain known as Oregon Grape.)

I've found I don't experience the problem if I make canna butter, and bake cookies.

I smoke very little anymore, and when I do it's almost always from a bong. By the bye, my blood pressure also elevates a bit when it happens. Much like when i'm in pain.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
The only variety which gives me a raised heart beat is Durban.I don't have a deficiency of potassium, since i drink loads of coffee, eat a lot of bananas, apples, chocolate etc.My thoughts are or some kind of terpene is causing this or perhaps THCV.

Keep on growing :)

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Interesting. I've experienced this a few times, but never really thought about it much. The only strain I can say caused similar symptoms was Congolese. The dry sift or BHO will make anyone's heart race like a jack rabbit.

waveguide

Veteran
Stating the commonly accepted fact that cannabis can bring out latent psychoses when used in excess is not "blaming weed for society's issues," it is having a realistic stance on a complex issue.
fyi, society is not sane. hth.

"commonly accepted" does not mean sane.

"used in excess" should tell you that society isn't sane, that there is already a problem if something is being used in excess to treat it. as you say, "latent" means that shit is already there. thank god weed give people an excuse to confront it! you don't even need to finish your sentence when you're caught making excuses to qualify your accusations against weed.

because,

the "complex issue" is society's denial of it's own perverse, distended, brutal and profound insanity. that's a "realistic stance", accepting that the gestalt of cultural contrivancy and imposition summates to something less than cosmopolitan excellence experientially for your average trendsetting punter.

take a look around in the news and tell me if you see any signs of sanity, i'd like to know.

you don't need to make excuses for the fact ("commonly accepted" or otherwise) that society is pure, unmitigated hogwash, that assholes get paid to denigrate weed and attribute all sorts of ills to it, and express that the "fragile psyche" is allegedly "subject to influence" from anything we may wish to disfavour, that most of what we "believe to be right" is due to authoritarian reference, or that fearful sheep regurgitate what they have been told in order to avoid being singled out for their beliefs.

i truly love this kind of thinking. what are you going to blame weed for next?

jd4083

Veteran
fyi, society is not sane. hth.

"commonly accepted" does not mean sane.

"used in excess" should tell you that society isn't sane, that there is already a problem if something is being used in excess to treat it. as you say, "latent" means that shit is already there. thank god weed give people an excuse to confront it! you don't even need to finish your sentence when you're caught making excuses to qualify your accusations against weed.

because,

the "complex issue" is society's denial of it's own perverse, distended, brutal and profound insanity. that's a "realistic stance", accepting that the gestalt of cultural contrivancy and imposition summates to something less than cosmopolitan excellence experientially for your average trendsetting punter.

take a look around in the news and tell me if you see any signs of sanity, i'd like to know.

you don't need to make excuses for the fact ("commonly accepted" or otherwise) that society is pure, unmitigated hogwash, that assholes get paid to denigrate weed and attribute all sorts of ills to it, and express that the "fragile psyche" is allegedly "subject to influence" from anything we may wish to disfavour, that most of what we "believe to be right" is due to authoritarian reference, or that fearful sheep regurgitate what they have been told in order to avoid being singled out for their beliefs.

i truly love this kind of thinking. what are you going to blame weed for next?

You seem to be taking this pretty personally for some reason. I appreciate your position, but if you want to respond to my post please respond to what I actually said and not what you perceive me to have said. This entire post is useless based only on the last sentence -- "what are you going to blame weed for next?" I already stated my opinion, quite clearly said that I am not "blaming weed" for anything, explained that point, and I have science on my side. How about you?

Somewhere in between all of this flowery and entirely unnecessary verbiage there might be a valid point, but all I'm seeing is someone who does not want to accept the 100% factually accurate statement that I made, which is that cannabis -- in certain people -- can bring out certain latent psychoses. Yes, "latent" means they were already there lurking and all it took was a psychoactive substance (in this case, cannabis) to bring it to the surface. Explaining that many substances, including cannabis, can bring these issues to the surface is not blaming cannabis, it is providing factual information to explain something that is commonly understood by the scientific and medical community. It is not a slight on cannabis, it is not a thinly-veiled attack on cannabis, it is not a statement that weed makes people crazy, it is not disinformation from the enemy as you apparently seem to view anyone who does not hold to your exact, specific beliefs -- it is simply the fact of the matter. You can fight it all you want, but you are demonstrably, unequivocally wrong.

I'm sorry that this does not mesh with your worldview and that information contrary to your deep-seated beliefs is apparently frightening to you, but here in the real world we take the negatives with the positives to form a balanced, objective opinion.

Let me ask -- do you believe that cannabis has negative effects in conjunction with its positive benefits? How about with heavy, chronic use? You'll note that I am not asking if the pro's outweigh the cons -- for many people they do. I am specifically asking if you believe that there could conceivably be any negative effect as a result of using cannabis. What are your thoughts?

edit- oh, and maybe try responding to the points in a civilized, intelligent fashion instead of attacking the messenger with $20 words that you clearly have a tenuous-at-best grasp on while simultaneously ignoring the actual points being made. Learn to divest emotion from intellect if you want to be taken seriously in an argument.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am pretty sure like others that some sativas can give you a speedy high to the point where sleep is quite a trial and when that sativa hit comes on with rapid heartbeat etc then its understandable that some people can interpret that as something nasty,,,,,same as when you get a hard hitting indica,,,,,so easy to mistake a panic attack for something much more serious,,,,,
when I have very potent indicas or sativas I just take it a bit more easy and not "cake" the spliff up and make sure I don't smoke on an empty stomach....all those old recs do work,,,,,,
best of luck,,,peace and regards s2

waveguide

Veteran
here in the real world we take the negatives with the positives to form a balanced, objective opinion.

"if a guy in a white coat tells me something good, i then accept if he says something bad as well"

look i am telling you, you need to get your ass to the thinking stuff store and buy one of them epistemology thingums pronto.

Pony+Cake+009.jpg

pony. freaking. cake dude.

yes there are medical studies i have seen raise in blood pressure absolutely heart beat issues no surprise. i love the plant but wouldn't risk my life if the person feels it contributes to a disorder any disorder stop.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You seem to be taking this pretty personally for some reason. I appreciate your position, but if you want to respond to my post please respond to what I actually said and not what you perceive me to have said.......

Hah, fucking love it. You're very much on point.

I wouldn't spend too much time responding to his nonsense. Just another tin hat troll that thinks their brand of batshit crazy is more than just malarkey between their ears.

That reply is special sauce though. What kind of kick to the head produces that?

Rinse

Veteran
The only variety which gives me a raised heart beat is Durban.I don't have a deficiency of potassium, since i drink loads of coffee, eat a lot of bananas, apples, chocolate etc.My thoughts are or some kind of terpene is causing this or perhaps THCV.

Keep on growing :)

Interesting, Dj short on Durban:

"All of the South African herb that has made it to market that I have tried has been a bit too powerful and speedy. I always get that heart racing effect similar to the Jamaican. There are, however, very many people who enjoy a good carnival ride herb, and Durban is a very powerful choice, indeed...The high was intense and strong but not notably enjoyable, so the Durban was dropped from any further breeding work."

How would you compare Durban effects to Lesotho? :)

ghostmade

Veteran
I am pretty sure like others that some sativas can give you a speedy high to the point where sleep is quite a trial and when that sativa hit comes on with rapid heartbeat etc then its understandable that some people can interpret that as something nasty,,,,,same as when you get a hard hitting indica,,,,,so easy to mistake a panic attack for something much more serious,,,,,
when I have very potent indicas or sativas I just take it a bit more easy and not "cake" the spliff up and make sure I don't smoke on an empty stomach....all those old recs do work,,,,,,
best of luck,,,peace and regards s2
Hmmm a quite of few of weed induced anxiety attacks.have been on an empty stomach.I know it's all psychological, but maybe doing some physical things will help with it. I hate taking these god damn xanax.I'm taking the smallest dosage possible only after having a panic attack.i just dont want to deal with pharmaceuticals.but its the only way to get through the day.shit i used to smoke 3.5's all day.no I barely smoke anything.which is a good thing.but i just want to enjoy smoking again.
With out feeling the terror of my mortality.or dwelling on the existence of existence.its a state of mind tbat can drive a man crazy.
anymore tips so weed dont hit you the wrong way will be appreciated

snuggles

Hmmm a quite of few of weed induced anxiety attacks.have been on an empty stomach.I know it's all psychological, but maybe doing some physical things will help with it. I hate taking these god damn xanax.I'm taking the smallest dosage possible only after having a panic attack.i just dont want to deal with pharmaceuticals.but its the only way to get through the day.shit i used to smoke 3.5's all day.no I barely smoke anything.which is a good thing.but i just want to enjoy smoking again.
With out feeling the terror of my mortality.or dwelling on the existence of existence.its a state of mind tbat can drive a man crazy.
anymore tips so weed dont hit you the wrong way will be appreciated

Taking meds wouldn't be my choice either.
Nevertheless....what I've found out from experiences with other hallucinogens is that I have to deal with the issues in my life.
There's no point in pushing these issues away, and thinking everything is gonna be allright.
Every "negative" experience I have had with those drugs has had a good reason behind it. And the drugs show me that something needs to be dealt with. If I keep ignoring those issues, the "negative" experiences will persist or get worse. "Set and setting" goes for weed aswell, in my book. So these experiences in drug induced states are not really negative for me, they show me that there's ish to be dealt with and that I'm not where I should be.
Don't blame the drug.
Now with all that said, of course there are strains that go well with my chemistry, and strains that don't. Since everyone is different, it is different strains for everyone, aswell, IMHO.
Greets