What's new

I Found Mites! Help Me Please!

4-H

I have between 13 & 20 days until my girls are finished. I was doing a close examination & I noticed mites have set up camp on my girls! With such a short time left in flowering, I am not sure what the best thing to do is. I have einstein oil, neem oil, chi, & some of that new spider mite control juice, but I am scared to use any of this stuff so late in flowering! What do you guys suggest? The mites have not done a whole lotta damage as of yet, but I know they are itchin to start ripping in! Please help!

I was thinking that I might make a very weak tea with einstein & neem oil & drench them after lights out tonight. Would this be a good thing to try or not? If I spray with neem this late in the cycle, can it be washed of by spraying with water or will the taste of the finished product be ruined? I really need some advice here! Any info would be very helpful! I hate the damn mites! Thank You! 4-H

Dr. D

Veteran
i think the best thing u can do now is leave them...remove the worst infested leaves..i wouldnt use anything that late in flower.
They shouldnt do too much damage by harvest time, they may just attack the smaller lower leaves(i had this recently with plants in flower)...peace

4-H

hEY DR. D! Thanks for the reply! I jumped the gun & did spray the bottom of the plants so if they try to crawl up, they will get a taste, but I tried to stay away from the buds! I hope I did anyway! Will giving a water drench at this point help me at all if I got neem all over the buds or should I just let them be? Thanks for the quick response! Peace

4-H

I think I screwed the pooch when I introduced an infected clone into my room! Boy do I have alot to learn! hehe

Dr. D

Veteran
yeh i probably would clean it off with a little water in a couple of days but be careful not to wet ur buds..then id leave them and get ur self some mite predators im gonna start using them soon..i see people having good results with them

R

Ronley

the cheapest and Best way to elliminate them is:

Get the MOST potent strongest Chili peppers that you can find, (about 5 or 6)
2 cups of water and blend them all up,
Strain the chili/pepper water and spry onto the leaves, and dont worry if they get onto the buds, It does no harm to the buds at all.

Apply the chili water every couple of days for about a week until the mites are gone.
it works like a charm... Completely organic and does no hatm to the buds or plant.

BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO GET THE CHILI SOLUTION INTO YOUR EYES AND WEAR PLASTIC GLOVES OR COVER YOUR HANDS WHEN APPLYING THE CHILI WATER. OTHERWISE IT WILL BURN YOUR HANDS.

This Tip I got from Wernard Positronics seeds.

Really it works very very very well, cheap, effective, non does not destroy your plants/buds/.

G

yes it is best to have a small area for all new plant's, a place the can stay for a few weeks as you treat them. A nice weak tea helps to be sprayed on all new commer's.

Isolate all new plants until you know they are clean and healthy.

Now about spider mites, a real good clean up is needed after harvest, 8 cups water to 1 cup bleach makes a nice cleaning agent, spray every thing down and clean all items and this should eliminate any survivors, most survivors will be on other plants, so if you have a vegy area, start treating those plants now, at least I would.

A Q tip dipped into rubbing alcohol works, a fungicidale sulfur based soap, or even the neem oil or einsteen solution shoudl work. The wet Q tip can be ran on underside of leaves killing egg's and adults. The Q tip works well to wipe off web's and to collect adult mites.

Now how to help slow down the outbreak of them, maybe even keep them hidden until harvest, run a much cooler grow room. Low's down into 60's and high's in low 70's if possible, yes the bud will grow just fine still, but the mites will not flurish. They do hatch around 72 degree's, get real active when it is warmer and near 80 degrees they go madd, so the cooler the better. Just keep after cleaning them up and all should work out just fine.

I am dealing with the same issue right now again with about the same time frame as you. I have a real bad problem with bring the damn mites home into my garden.

How do you keep them away, preventive steps, and follow them.

stay safe and grow the same way.

realhigh.

4-H

Thank You for the advise Dr. D! I too am thinking about scoring some lady bugs or predator mites for the future! Ronley, Thank You, that is some great info to have & worth a try! Thanks for getting back to me so quick you guys, it really helped! Peace, 4-H

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
Lets unscrew that pooch...

Lets unscrew that pooch...

A no-pest strip will easily solve your problem at this point in time of the grow..
Trade names include Apavap, Benfos, Cekusan, Cypona, Derriban, Derribante, Devikol, Didivane, Duo-Kill, Duravos, Elastrel, Fly-Bate, Fly-Die, Fly-Fighter, Herkol, Marvex, No-Pest, Prentox, Vaponite, Vapona, Verdican, Verdipor, and Verdisol.
Trade names used outside of the U.S. include Doom, Nogos, and Nuvan.
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=16322

Least Toxic Pesticides
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=16335
Insect Control: Horticultural Oils
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=16274

Welcome to the forums here, the Search function will many times provide information/ pertinent knowledge as needed. :)

Happy Gardening, next time perhaps Neem those puppies (alien clones) right away because you can and be sure to quarantine them as a standard garden "vector" control procedure.

:cool:

Last edited:
G

i just used some predetory mites for the first time ever a couple of weeks ago and the rezults are outstanding!!! i think i will start adding them at the start of every new cycle in the flower room they are so good.
1000 predetors cost me 15$ including delivery.
they come in a plastic container u have to roll a few times and then just open and put next to the effected area,i did just that and i swear with in a few hours after they came out of their frozen state i had full blown war in the room and for the next few days i just counted more and more courpses of red mites.they finished them all and i think the predetors moved outside and now hopefully are multiplying in great numbers in my vegteble garden.
i realy recomend using them.

p.s-i forgot to mention the predetors are called-PHYTOSEIULUS PERSIMILIS

Last edited:
G

The no pest type strips will not eliminate the problem, I have been growing with mites for some time now.

The do help alot in preventive measures to an infestation of mites, but it does not remove them from the garden.

These no pest strips do kill ladybugs in seconds, so need to make a choice, and they also do damage to preditor mites, so one can do to much and kill all good they are doing.

The preditor mites do best in a heavy vegy cycle into early floral stage, but the 12/12 cycle is not prime for them and they will slowly hypernate or die off on you, so what does this mean, late into flowering the mites will come back, how bad is all dependent on prevent steps.

Remember once the room is truly clean, well the only mite that gets back in there is by hitching a ride.

If the grower will put out the effort and do it, well they can grow with mites and have a very nice harvest of tasty bud.

Key points of control, all the time, but one has to have them under control going out of vegy stage into floral stage so the plant will produce and develope nice bud's.

The one thing I have discovered with running a much cooler floral stage is that my strain has gotten about 2 weeks a head of its self, not a bad thing as I do need it to finsih up for me so I am clean for the holiday's, but it was not expected.

There is alot one can do that is more harmful than good when trying to kill the mites, so think of your body, what do you want to use on your plant.

Want a cleaner mite free bud, when it is harvest time, cut the branch off so it has some bare stem, hang it up side down, now in about 5 hours you will find alot of mites at the top most point, bare stem area, as they like to travel upward to the upmost point, now they can be killed in mass form.

Just be more stubburn then they are and you can get a controlling handle on them and then they are just part of the garden, but no matter what they must be dealt with.

The reason I keep getting them is because I fail preventive steps, I go visit other garden's, always smell like my room I am sure, so I pick up hitch hickers and bring them home and rush into the garden and the cycle begin's, but I have figured out how I keep getting them, now just to keep up with preventive steps to stop spreading them around.

I do hope you the best, you will do fine if you just keep after them.

Stay safe and grow the same way.

realhigh.

Yes small grows are easy to maintain, I use a 5' x 7' area, it is a battle to keep up with all that area, but I do it so I can have a harvest.

G

I'm with the Hot Shots No Pest Strip guys.

I used them when my last grow got majorly infested (From an outside clone. Seems to be a common theme here :rolleyes: ) Got rid of them all, although the damage had already been done.
I've just let the strips stay in the same room as my cabinet, and have never seen them comeback. (They've been in use for probably the last 3 months)

4-H

Wow, Thank you everyone for the very good info here! I have a battle on my hands! I must kill before being killed! I was looking at them & they are of the color black! I have never seen these before. They do not look at all like the traditional little red bastards we all hate so much! These seems a bit bigger & alot darker! I am looking for my microscope so I can get a better look! So at this point I will spray down all clones & with like 10 to 20 days left in flower, I will just watch these buggers & try to keep the temps lower! Thanks again for the help! You guys must hate these fuggers as much as I do! Peace

4-H

OK, Quick question? OK, I looked over all the girls & it seems that only the bottom of 1 girl is infested. My question is,

Should I cut the lower branches off now to keep them from spreading to more girls?

Or

Should I just try to fend them off & hold them at bay until harvest? I was thinking if I cut the lower branches it might stop the spread, but I was also thinking that I might hurt my girl & set her back by cutting on her this late in the season!

Any help is very much appreciated! Again, Thanks to all you guys who have helped me up to this point! Peace

4-H

ok, i just cleaned my blade! I need some oil anyway! I will update on my progress of fighting these turds! Thanks & Peace

G

4-H i was sleeping or i would have been here earlier im sorry, u need to go buy 70% isopropyl alchohol and keep it in a spray bottle close to the plants.. at FIRST sign of infestation of mites or bugs, use a quick hard blast of iso DIRECTLY ONTO THE AFFECTED AREA, it will kill the mites, larvae, and webbing instantyly and the harful part (the alchohol) evaproates away in minutes, this si the best thing for you to do right now.

por tu informazione,
NEEM OIL IS A PREVENTATIVE
IT ONLY AFFECTS LARVAE , NOT ADULTS!
It will have the same effect as dish soap and warm water on the adults, just smother them, you will need to use a lot to do this and it is disguisting (smell,greasy) your crop will be hindered, do not neem this mate, whoever recommended neem to you is uninformed. chili pepper or other organic controls are good PREVENTATIVES too but insects and mites build up a tolerance to this so it must be used in rotation with soaps or other organic teas..

TRY THE ISO IF THEY COME BACK MANG

Every leaf on your plant is there for a reason, to go picking leaves CLEAN-OFF THE PLANT is silly this late in the game when the buds pull Major elements from the leaf at this time.

be well,
hope this finds you in good spirits,
cj

G

when used in a spray bottle iso is harmless to your plants
do not put iso in the feedwater

hope this helps
cj

4-H

yo captain jack! what up mang? Thanks for the iso info, I will mosdef try that out if I didnt cut them all out! I jumped the gun & cut off what I think may be the only infected parts of the 1 plant! The lights were getting ready to go off & I need some oil anyway so I thought I might get them all if I cut off the infected parts! I can't wait to harvest, so I can give that place a complete steam cleaning & then a dry cleaning! Ok after harvest, Should I get a bug bomb & set it off in there so the next run will be a clean one? Thanks, 4-H

p.s. how much ISO do I add to the water? Peace

Latest posts

Latest posts