What's new

Colorado Medical Marijuana Lab Raided

cobcoop

Puttin flame to fire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
DENVER — A lab that tests medical marijuana for dispensaries and patients said Thursday it was raided by federal drug agents and ordered to turn over patient records.
Full Spectrum Laboratories president Bob Winnicki said Drug Enforcement Administration agents showed up at his facility in Denver on Wednesday when he was at the Capitol for a hearing on proposed medical marijuana regulations.

The lab provided The Associated Press with a copy of a DEA subpoena requesting that it turn over customer and patient records over a six month period through Wednesday.
Now why would they want patient records? Be careful folks!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/28/colorado-medical-marijuan_10_n_440545.html

ChronJohn

and they raided while he was at a Senate hearing none the less! How much fucking harder will it be to be in "full compliance" with state law???

true grit

Veteran
They want patient records, as I'm sure it was mostly growers going to the lab to get the analysis done. That spot does cannabinoid testing and is one place that is being referenced in ideas for a dispensary, licensing, and regulation model. i.e. they may be a private lab that test "med" product before dispensaries sell it. Groups like them have been pushed to help LEGITIMIZE the meds that get to patients via dispensaries. Its such a shame to see folks get pounded just for trying to do it right- scientifically- and help out patients and dispensaries with the product they supply.

xfargox

I don't necessarily agree with the propaganda from the pro-cannabis industry that tries to twist every move into something positive for the cannabis movement... but...

It seems to me like the DEA knows it's coming to an end, and is trying to prevent the inevitable.

Knock on wood, of course. During the 70s, a lot of people thought it was the end too.

H

HippyJohnny

*****Edited******
Did not know enough, comment not needed.

Peace :joint:

Last edited:

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
wtf. isnt this in clear violation of the Obama's and Eric Holder's new ploicy. Apoint a new head of the DEA and then he disrespects in the first day. This fuck needs to get canned. America really is becoming more like nazi germany, or Stalin's USSR, everyday since nixon was elected. Obama was sposed to bring and end to that, but the entire democratic party is a bunch of pussies. They also under estimate the stupidity of your average american. Havnt they learned that you cant talk to the masses like they are educated adults. You have to do as the carl rove machine does and just throw out shocking key words, and catch phrases. Then always yell louder than the other side because that will make you right apparently.

Ms_Weekend

I would NEVER hope for anyone or any business to be busted, but they invited the DEA to the offices by registering with the DEA for a DEA license!!.....am I the only one saying HELLO?!?!....I know people with DEA licenses & they are checked out REGULARLY, DEA stops by ATLEAST once a year.....The lab didnt even need a DEA license, but the applied for one anyways......What did you want them to do?..they smelled MJ so they had to take it.....no one got arrested, so I dont see how it could of turned out any better for the people at the lab....they should sue who ever recommended them to get the FEDERAL DEA license in the first place.

Here goes the full story from 9news.com

DENVER (AP) - A lab that tests medical marijuana for dispensaries and patients said Thursday it was raided by federal drug agents and ordered to turn over patient records.
Advertisement

Full Spectrum Laboratories president Bob Winnicki said Drug Enforcement Administration agents showed up at his facility in Denver on Wednesday when he was at the Capitol for a hearing on proposed medical marijuana regulations.

The lab provided The Associated Press with a copy of a DEA subpoena requesting that it turn over customer and patient records over a six month period through Wednesday.

Winnicki, who had applied for a DEA license to dispense controlled substances, said he wasn't charged with a crime but agents seized about $10,000 worth of marijuana.

DEA special agent Mike Turner said the administration never comments on ongoing investigations and that he couldn't confirm or deny whether there was a raid.

In general, he said agents don't investigate medical marijuana users or suppliers but that they could be probed if their name surfaced during investigations into large drug trafficking operations. He also said the agency investigates facilities that apply for DEA licenses.

"We don't target these operations unless they come up in the normal course of our operations," he said of medical marijuana operations.

While federal crackdowns were once common with medical marijuana operations in California, Matt Brown, executive director of Coloradans for Medical Marijuana Regulation, couldn't recall any such raids in Colorado in recent years.

"They are absolutely not commonplace at all," said Brown, who represents a coalition of medical marijuana dispensaries and patients lobbying for state regulations.

Brian Vicente, executive director of Sensible Colorado, a medical marijuana patients' group, said the DEA has raided some large growing operations but has stayed away from patients and dispensaries in Colorado.

The Obama administration has said it won't target medical marijuana operations in states that allow them as long as they're complying with state laws and aren't fronts for drug traffickers. Colorado is one of 14 states to allow people to use marijuana to treat various medical conditions.

Winnicki said his operation isn't a dispensary but the only lab of its kind in Colorado. He tests marijuana for mold, fungus and pesticides and tests the effectiveness of different strains of marijuana for treating various ailments for dispensaries and patients.

He said he uses scientific instruments and applied for a DEA license back in October to use standards needed to test the marijuana. He said he didn't hear from the DEA until Wednesday.

"I was operating under the assumption that if we're playing by the rules, no problem," he said.

He said the marijuana that was seized included a rare strain that was going to be made into capsules for people with multiple sclerosis and Parkinson's disease.

K

Kola Radical

This is the thread chosen over my original Denver Post, post?

Oh well.. you gotta SKIP some of 'em.

B

Bazarocka

Im sure its for an ~~Official~~~Analysis or something right...................NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.
"RAT BASTARDS" "May The Great Cannabis Gods Deny Them and Theirs Of Happiness and Fortitude.

RockyMountainHi

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with th
Veteran
DEA is prolly going after business records.

If I had any test work done there and there was any records pertinante to me and my operation at the test shop - I'd make damn sure I was clearly inside the numbers, and have a welcome mat out for the next few forevers, - if ya know what I mean.

I highly suspect the raid on the ex Denver Bronco, Reuben Droughns could have been related to information gathered thru records at the test facility.
I'd love to know if he was a client there.

Just call me the old, paranoid one.

G

guest123

I highly suspect the raid on the ex Denver Bronco, Reuben Droughns could have been related to information gathered thru records at the test facility.
I'd love to know if he was a client there.

Just call me the old, paranoid one.

I am calling you old and paranoid, cause Reuben was raided before the lab was!!!

Obama is a piece of shit liar!!! I knew he would fool the masses with his "anti-war" campaign, "free healthcare", he's just like every other fucking president, a war mongering liar. He did kinda side with our cause, but in the same sense Eric Holder?!?! I asked a lot of people why they voted for him, 1. End the Wars 2. Healthcare 3. Because he was BLACK!!! If that is what the people of this country are basing there actions on then we are all doomed!

Ms_Weekend

Im not even for Obama, but you guys need to read the story again & again......Obama had nothing to do with this....the lab asked the DEA to come to the lab, to check them out for a license....The DRUG ENFORCEMENT AGENCY to come to your MARIJUANA LAB......UUUHHHHH

heres another of my post from another thread....if you dont understand from this post your not going to get it.

what you dont understand is that the DEA HAD TO CHECK OUT the lab....they filed for a controlled substance license.....When the DEA came to check out the lab for a license they smelled weed, weed is still illegal federally..... even if obama doesnt want to bust state legal operations, when you invite the DEA to your shop you know there is going to be problems untill its LEGAL federally....no if &'s or buts about it.....just bad judgment on the part of the lab. I respect what the lab is doing, but this was foolish.

This was not a "Raid"....This was Full Spectrum inviting the DEA into a federally illegal establishment.

***I still respect what you do full spectrum, just fire whoever gave you the advice to file for a DEA license***