What's new

ABC poll finds 81% in favor of MMJ

Pythagllio

Patient Grower
Veteran
Well if MMJ is a scam it seems more & more people are 'falling for it'.

46% if favor of legalization for personal use.

Go to the link for formatted text, pretty graphs.

http://abcnews.go.com/images/PollingUnit/1100a3MedicalMarijuana.pdf
ABC NEWS/WASHINGTON POST POLL: MEDICAL MARIJUANA
EMBARGOED FOR RELEASE AFTER 5 p.m. Monday, Jan. 18, 2010
High Support for Medical Marijuana
Eight in 10 Americans support legalizing marijuana for medical use and nearly half favor
decriminalizing the drug more generally, both far higher than a decade ago.
With New Jersey this week poised to become the 14th state to legalize medical marijuana, 81
percent in this national ABC News/Washington Post poll support the idea, up from an already
substantial 69 percent in 1997. Indeed the main complaint is with restrictions on access, as in the
New Jersey law.
Fifty-six percent say that if it’s allowed, doctors should be able to prescribe medical marijuana to
anyone they think it can help. New Jersey’s measure, which is more restrictive than most, limits
prescriptions to people with severe illnesses. State health officials can add to the list.
DECRIMINALIZE? – Apart from medical marijuana, there have been recent efforts to
decriminalize marijuana more broadly in some states. A preliminary vote on one such measure is
to be held in the Washington state Legislature this week. In California organizers say they’ve
collected enough signatures to hold a statewide referendum on the issue next fall. And a separate
proposal in California to legalize and tax the drug cleared a legislative committee last week. A
Field poll there in April found 56 percent support for the idea, which its backers say would raise
$1.3 billion a year.
Nationally, this survey finds 46 percent support for legalizing small amounts of marijuana for
personal use – the same as it was last spring, and well above its level in past years, for example
39 percent in 2002 and 22 percent in 1997.
GROUPS – Age is a factor. Just 23 percent of senior citizens favor legalizing marijuana for
personal use; that jumps to 51 percent of adults under age 65. There are political and ideological
differences as well: Thirty percent of conservatives and 32 percent of Republicans favor
legalization, compared with 49 percent of independents, 53 percent of Democrats and more than
half of moderates and liberals alike (53 and 63 percent, respectively).
Medical marijuana, for its part, receives majority support across the political and ideological
spectrum, from 68 percent of conservatives and 72 percent of Republicans as well as 85 percent
of Democrats and independents and about nine in 10 liberals and moderates. Support slips to 69
percent among seniors, vs. 83 percent among all adults under age 65.
There are similar divisions on whether medical marijuana should be restricted or made available
to anyone a doctor thinks it would help. Overall, 56 percent, as noted, prefer no restrictions,
while 21 percent say it should be limited to terminally ill patients and an additional 21 percent
say it should be limited to those with serious but not necessarily terminal illnesses.
Liberals are 23 points more apt than conservatives, and Democrats 20 points more likely than
Republicans, to oppose restrictions. There’s also a difference between the sexes, with men 10
points more likely than women to say the doctor should decide.
But the main difference is whether people think marijuana should be permitted for medical uses
in the first place. Among supporters, 63 percent would rely on the doctor’s discretion. Among
those who oppose medical marijuana, 75 percent say that if it is allowed, it should be limited to
seriously or terminally ill patients.
New Jersey passed its medical marijuana law this month and outgoing Gov. Jon Corzine is
expected to sign it tomorrow morning, his last day in office. Medical marijuana first became
legal in California in 1996, followed by Alaska, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Michigan, Montana,
Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington state.
METHODOLOGY – This ABC News/Washington Post poll was conducted by telephone Jan.
12-15, 2010, among a random national sample of 1,083 adults, including landline and cellphone-
only respondents, with an oversample of African Americans (weighted to their correct
share of the population) for a total of 153 black respondents. Results for the full sample have a
3.5-point error margin. Click here for a detailed description of sampling error. Sampling, data
collection and tabulation by TNS of Horsham, PA.
Analysis by Gary Langer.
ABC News polls can be found at ABCNEWS.com at http://abcnews.com/pollingunit
Media contact: Cathie Levine, (212) 456-4934.
Full results follow (*= less than 0.5 percent).
1-40 previously released or held for release.
41. In general, do you favor or oppose legalizing the possession of small amounts of
marijuana for personal use?
Favor Oppose No opinion
1/15/10 46 51 2
4/24/09 46 52 2
10/24/02* 39 53 8
5/27/97 22 75 3
8/26/86 25 74 1
5/19/86 22 77 1
4/28/86 23 75 1
3/24/86 21 78 1
5/13/85 26 72 2
*Time/CNN: "Do you favor or oppose the legalization of marijuana? (IF FAVOR) What
about in small amounts, for example three ounces or less? Do you favor or oppose the
legalization of marijuana in small amounts?"
42. Regardless of what you think about the personal non-medical use of marijuana, do
you think doctors should or should not be allowed to prescribe marijuana for medical
purposes to treat their patients?
Should Should not No opinion
1/15/10 81 18 1
5/27/97 69 27 4
43. If doctors are allowed to prescribe marijuana to patients, should it be limited to
patients who are terminally ill and near death; or also allowed for patients who have
serious but not fatal illnesses; or should it be allowed for any patient the doctor
thinks it could help?
Terminally Serious/ Any No
ill not fatal patient opinion
1/15/10 21 21 56 2
5/27/97 29 13 52 6
***END***

fatigues

Veteran
These numbers are not new, but they do confirm recent Gallup data almost perfectly -- well within the margin of error.

It is entirely regrettable that the gender and age data was not fully reported and disclosed by ABC. That said, given the results which seem to dovetail very nicely indeed with the Gallup poll data from the fall of 2009, the question as to whether or not the Gallup poll was a rogue poll or not appears to have been answered in the negative.

The Gallup poll was spot on correct. The gender gap has vanished. Indeed, it appears that when it comes to medical marijuana, women are even more supportive than men are when it comes to implementation of MMJ laws.

That's very good news indeed. The demographic train is on the tracks; the bullet is in the breach, the bud is in the proverbial bowl. :dance013:

For those of you who sometimes bitch about NORML, DPA and MPP and how little each of them supposedly does for legalization -- the entire MMJ movement across the various states since 1996 is very much a product of those group's collective and individual efforts. Without MMJ, I don't think we see the profound upswing in favor of marijuana legalization. They fit hand in glove and the polling data tracks with MMJ over the years almost perfectly. It has proved to be a brilliant political strategy that has produced real and tangible results.

Stay patient. This will take the rest of the decade to win, but the finish line is in sight.

Oh. If you are in the MJ business? While general legalization is not imminent, if you are under 50 years of age? You might want to give some thought to a retirement strategy :) Because this Prohibition gravy train is going to end in the next 8-12 years.

slappyjack

I'm pretty amazed at that number, 81% is overwhelming support. Massive support.

That is the kind of number that should get the Federal government thinking seriously about rescheduling cannabis. No more denial DC, the American people want this. Get it done.

Nobody should be put in jail for something that 81% of the people support. NOBODY.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
the longer MMJ is around, with no problems (other than brain-dead feds) the better it will look to average citizen. if the only trouble folks see is feds kicking in the wrong doors, the faster our desired end product will come about. baby steps around undecided voters is the key!:whistling:

Excellent read, thanks for posting.

It really does make you wonder though doesn't it - all the revenue in sales and company taxes that could be earnt - why are they so against it, and determined to continue this 'war on drugs'.

Frankly it's farcical, the evidence far outweighs their arguments, so hopefully at some stage, things will have to change.

Watching hopefully :smokey:

K

Kola Radical

Wow... those are incredible numbers, especially considering the source.

Crap... I'm expanding my grow, asap. :)

j6p

Without MMJ, I don't think we see the profound upswing in favor of marijuana legalization. They fit hand in glove and the polling data tracks with MMJ over the years almost perfectly. It has proved to be a brilliant political strategy that has produced real and tangible results.
Yes - as states continue to approve MMJ, the mainstream public is increasingly exposed to legal Cannabis. So MMJ improves the credibility of Cannabis, giving it legitimate uses, making it more acceptable to the majority of people.​
81% is a very very good number; I was pleasantly surprised.​

J

JackTheGrower

Sad that no one seems excited here ..

I have noticed it for years..

When gathering signatures I saw two kind of folks opposed.. Those who don't make money off of it and those that do.

It's sad that our very own are willing to sabotage the good works of others in the legalization efforts.

I have seen it first hand.. Money is the big evil in the Cannabis game..

Those against cannabis money and those for cannabis money..

I say f-em!

danut

These numbers are not new, but they do confirm recent Gallup data almost perfectly -- well within the margin of error.
The trend is not new. The number are. We are continuing to move forward.

I think 8-10 years is far to long.

I think that the best thing that could happen would be for the GOP to make it's stand against mmj a main plank in the next election. Just dump tons of money into trying to convince the US public that we are stupid.

G

grasspass

I think republican politicians [especially new ones ] are going to be less and less vocal against medical marijuana, but don't expect them to vote for legalization unless they have a libertarian streak.

WhiteShadow

When it seems so compelling that things should move forward and the question gets asked as to why the government is so persistent in the "war on drugs," I wonder this: What is the total amount, annually, in monetary value of all assets seized (including cash) by the federal government?

I have not done the research and don't even know if it is available, but it would be a huge argument because taxing, etc. is one thing, but when you can just wallk in the door and take whatever you want - well thats a completely different ball game.

Ex: I have an acquaintance who was raided and is now dealing with the Feds. He has not even had formal charges brought against him and at the time of his raid, all that was confiscated was appx. 2lbs. He has since recovered some of the assets seized, but is currently being offered basically a walk if he agrees to just "let" the government keep a $15,000 vehicle that was seized. Justice? or blackmail for profit....

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
So - What;s the Holdup..??? Gosh....

Big Pharma, and the Religious Right. That is all I can come up with....!

EDIT: That's Crap, Eh White Shadow..?

I should then add ASSET FORFEITURE to my short-list above... It is Big Business in NorCal.

On the off chance that we do get a normalized situation regarding Cannabis, someday.... Due to the fact that most Mj and MMJ is not of high quality, I think there will ALWAYS be a market for the Very best.... Just like Wine, or Coffee...

Darth Fader

So - What;s the Holdup..??? Gosh....

Big Pharma, and the Religious Right. That is all I can come up with....!

Add Big Alcohol. Also, it's not just the Religious Right, it's Religion in general, right AND left.

Our last 3 Presidents have used weed, but none have the moral courage to end the insane policy of prohibition. When will we stop electing hypocrites?

danut

Anyone like to take a guess how many law enforcement jobs are required to enforce marijuana laws?

How many pensions are on the line?

The DEA says yes or no about rescheduling procedures at the FDA. About 75% of the DEA budget is for marijuana eradication. That's 75% of the funding, jobs and pensions.

And to keep them all, they just say "no."

To keep their jobs, they only have to keep putting people in jail for a plant.

Pythagllio

Patient Grower
Veteran
^^^I read a wonderful idea that we get a percentage of the 'sin tax' earmarked to increase law enforcement budgets. Suddenly cops are all for it. Well, if your cynical point of view is accurate.