What's new

whats the easiest medium youve come across to work with

im over dirt, into coco, maybe switching from bales that need rehydration to loose coco that doesnt even if its ten more bucks a bag, the effort isnt worth it imo..

i was wondering whats others experience
hows rockwool? talk about no mess, but do u need to ph treat it first with a long soak?

hydroton? hempy buckets,,etcc... im thinking my systems pretty hard to beat interms of ease.

i use coco, tap water, n basic nutes, im working on eliminating the initial hydration part of it but i think ive got going pretty darn easy, anybody got me beat, im not sure if it can really get any more simple, unless i go back to flora nova bloom over the flora series(1 part vs 2part).

and im not talking about doing something anyone can do like get dirt out of your back yard and luggin that dirty heavy mess n then mixing it with additives, too much work. im curious about rockwool actually, i like how u can eliminate containers with it. but worry about ph issues.

philcollins

tried every way there is to do all this....coco...hands down...easiest, best results...my coco plants under a 250 blew away the pros who were using dirt and mulitple thousand watts

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
I've done soil, hydtoron, and coco. I don't like the way new coco absorbs nutes. Hydroton is a pain as there is no water buffer f anything goes sideways on you. It is reusable, but cleaning it is a pain, especially in large volumes.
Rockwool isn't biodegradable, and cant be burned.
I went back to soil after trying everything else, it IS the easiest and most forgiving medium IMHO. I don't mix anything with fox Farms Ocean Forest, straight from the bag, and I use AN sensi nutes..
Works pretty well:

full time daddy
Veteran
perlite is pretty easy..... just wet befor use other y's it's dusty mixing with 50% verm works too.....

i been doing 40/40/20 perlite/verm/soil or coco

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I went back to soil after trying everything else, it IS the easiest and most forgiving medium IMHO.
:yeahthats Soil is really the easiest way to grow a plant.If it's right fertilized and in the right amount you don't need to give any nutes...maybe something extra in bloom,like sugar supplement or a P-K in the case.
It allow you to go away from the growroom for a few days without trouble.

Good pics Lazyman:smokeit:

:wave:

slappyjack

Coco, by a mile.

I recycle it by sifting out the little roots between grows. Can be hand watered, dripped or E&F, recycled or to waste. Every method works perfectly. I can get bigger buds in pure hydro, but coco buds are tighter and tastier. I even like how the coco fiber smells in the bag.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Thanks guys! more pics in the grow in my sig, thae pics above are only 1/3 of that garden, Purple Mr Nice is turning super frosty, and PURPLE! Woot! Chop is in 2 weeks...

OjoRojo420

Feeling good is good enough.
Veteran
Soil has given me control over pests!

Dry and wet cycles are great for healthy and normal root development.

Also, adding well made Compost, Lemon and Worm castings teas results in GREAT taste and more complex smell and effect.

Living in a volcanic area does also help! I swear by powdered lava rock and volcanic ashes.

Best!

seems like coco n soil are the two favs so far, id actually agree, soil to me is more work, u must carry it, mix it of course unless u buy stuff for 20 bucks a bag like ffof.. coco wins in my book so far for cost, mess, physical work and performance, i think dirt grows better quality simply because both known n unknow theres more life in dirt then a bottle of gh but im too lazy n cheap to get involved with it and once u go coco watching a soil plant grow becomes boring in comparrison, the change u get in a day with coco will take u two-3 days in dirt.

how many of u dirt guys have tried coco before? if u can fill up a jug with tap water and pour a few teaspoon of fert in it and water once every day to once every other day you can grow in it, no worry about run off, no ph adjustment(my tap after nutes is a 6), no meters etc. if u read the coco threads youll get the wrong idea, its just like dirt but with more air, u water it, shit grows. done.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Can't believe no one has voted for water. I can abandon the garden for 2-3 weeks at a time.

ive only used botanicare 5k bales, cant compare or complain, no pre rinse per say, just hydrate with ph'd water n plant.

my taps an 8, after a brita filter its a 6 which is perfect.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
The scale of the thing is important too. We are all selective for our scale. For small grows you can do/try anything because it works best or what is available to you.

But on bigger grows you must be very selective because it must be very low/no maintenance or you're gonna spend all day watering or mopping up floods.

I'm pretty much done experimenting with mediums though, I do want to try the Canna Bio Terra (coco based soil) but its so expensive, and what I have works.

Latest posts

Latest posts