What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Denver stricter on pot

K

Kola Radical

Denver's City Council approved a broad set of regulations for the city's booming medical-marijuana industry Monday night over the objections of dozens of cannabis advocates who say the rules clamp down too hard on their businesses.
The regulations require the licensing of medical-marijuana dispensaries, impose 1,000-foot buffers between the shops and schools or child-care facilities, bar on-site marijuana consumption, mandate certain security procedures and prohibit felons from opening a dispensary.
"We did our jobs, and we should hold our heads high for what we were able to do in this first phase," said Councilman Charlie Brown, who pushed for the ordinance.
The council unanimously approved the ordinance at the close of a nearly four-hour meeting. During the public hearing that preceded the vote, dozens of dispensary owners, medical-marijuana patients and cannabis advocates urged the council to reject the regulations, calling them unconstitutional and over-reaching.

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/ci_14170284#ixzz0cSOvR2yN

This is a Denver City Ordinance.... Come to Boulder to buy your mmj!

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
Typical.

This is typical goverment BS.

We'll let you have your dispensaries, but we will find other ways to penalize you, tax you and charge you.

I can see it now.. Not only is there a BATF.. They will add a "M" BATFM.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Hey governments the sad truth is if you try to tax, regulate, penalize, or otherwise control the populace unreasonably they will resist.

If there were a $20 a beer tax I would be home brewing. Governments are causing MJ to be so expensive, so I am home growing. They can not just write rules, pat themselves on the back, and expect rational humans to submit when there is an easy way to passively resist. OverGrow your house with the best MJ possible and boycott all their BS outlets.

Peace, :joint:

R

Rollem&Smokem

What's next? the City Council sets regulations on what strains the dispensaries can sell with the lowest amounts of thc in the strain!! Take an inch Gain a Mile!!! :fsu:

Hey governments the sad truth is if you try to tax, regulate, penalize, or otherwise control the populace unreasonably they will resist.

If there were a $20 a beer tax I would be home brewing. Governments are causing MJ to be so expensive, so I am home growing. They can not just write rules, pat themselves on the back, and expect rational humans to submit when there is an easy way to passively resist. OverGrow your house with the best MJ possible and boycott all their BS outlets.

Peace, :joint:
this right here i thought i clicked quote but ya well said bro and i think ill continue doing just that

303Medical

if ya ask me these kind of regulations are necessary. the colorado mmj scene has boomed faster than the laws could keep up, and it has gotten completely out of hand

almost all of the mmj providers in my experience are plain drug dealers

most of the medical patients in my experience are recreational users with a permit

seriously is 1000 feet too far to walk for weed? bout time they put a limit like this if ya ask me

I am a registered medical patient and I fully support these regulations.

LEGALIZE IT

peace

Balazar

Fine go to Boulder. Been there done that. I heard that if you stay there long enough to earn a degree you get assimilated into the Republic of Boulder and never ever leave again! I only lasted a few semesters before the strangeness of that place drove me away. I will head for the southern suburbs of Denver. They are fertile lands for planting.

Does a pharmacy pay an application fee? Yes

Does a pharmacy pay an annual license fee? Yes

Is a pharmacy required to be 1000ft from a school? No

Is it illegal to use medicine at a pharmacy even if it may impair you? No

Are certain "security requirements" mandated for a pharmacy? Yes

The draft for this thing has been posted on these forums for about a month. It seems like they are trying to mix the regulations of a pharmacy and a liquor store together and treat it as second rate health care. All they did was write something to shut the ignorant soccer moms up. I think we are going to see just about the whole nation go to medical state by state and laws in detail like this are going to be required by those other states too.

There are a few places in Denver that have dispensaries across the street from each other currently, so I wonder what will happen to them?

It is hard enough to open a business, without all of these other regulations.

I am a medical patient and need the mmj to reduce the awful amounts of painkillers I normally have to take every day for the last decade of my life. I am now able to go a day and a half without taking a single pain pill, where as before I had to take pills all day long and be so looped and out of it, my quality of life was so poor.

We are thinking of opening our own storefront around the summertime, I hate to say it, but I think we're going to have to open in Arapahoe County.

Of course common sense dictates that I'm not going to be next to a school or another dispensary, but since I'll be working there it's important to me to be able to medicate on premisis, otherwise I would be unable to help my patients. And there are hard costs to having a storefront, the rent, insurance, utilities, security, advertising, remodeling, hiring of trusted employees, and I won't be able to produce myself enough to provide my dispensary with all of it's medicall marijuana needs, so I will have costs associated with having to buy from vendors, as well as my costs for growing the meds that I do grow myself.

I don't want to line any mobsters pockets, and only want to deal with locally grown medicine, but as everyone knows, so many growers harvest too early.

There have been so many dispensary robberies, it's something that weighs heavily on me, as I want to protect myself and my empoloyees, but I don't want to lose the one on one contact with my patients, and for them to be able to smell and look at and feel thier meds before making a choice.

I agree some guidelines need to be put into place, but I think that it should be the patients and dispensary owners working together to make these guidelines and not hysterical bible thumpers. The environment is changing. People don't want more ineffective health care and pills that mask the current problem and cause other medical issues. People want to go organic and go back to mother earth for medicine, and yes while it doesn't nessesarily cure all ailments, and we have to use it on a continual basis, it is so much healthier for us humans.

It's time to embrace the changes, and not freak out and put harsh guidelines on everything. The responsible owners will still be in business, but it will be harder and harder to open dispensaries once the government gets all involved, as we all know how efficiently it's worked for everyone in the past.

Every time there's a meeting, everyone that can attend should and have your voice heard, or we can all stand back and let the past happen all over again if we aren't extremely vocal about changes. There are already enough tax and lisencing permits to pay for when starting up, a liquor liscence is less than a thousand dollars, why should a medical marijuana liscence be 5 times that amount?

I DO love how Colorado's medical marijuana laws were written, I DON'T love what Denver just did, and I certainly DON'T want other counties and cities to start jumping on the bandwagon with Denver.

Hopefully soon though, we'll pass a law and make it legal for anyone over the age of 21 to obtain marijuana..

Rednick

One day you will have to answer to the children of
Veteran
First off, Denver City Council votes on all sorts of oddball things. And they change their minds quite often.

Second, ones already in existence should be grandfathered in, right? After reading the article again I see the council makes the case for 'retroactive' rights. I'm not a lawyer, I don't know.

Third, there are a lot popping up and it is quite a shock for some people who are now seeing that side of Denver for the very first time. So let them ease into it. I don't think Denver will become too DDR (no not Dance Dance Revolution).

Denver has been pretty good about integrating freedoms into the daily life of its inhabitants. I mean there is a large unharassed gay population, the Great American Beer Festival is here, the Mayor runs a great brewpub (and the first brewpub in Colorado, his claim to fame), the Tanner Gun Show comes about every month, plenty of ; bars, liquor stores, gun stores, sex shops, stripclubs, nightclubs., It has a few universities...
A dynamic city.

As far as the City and County of Denver imposing rules and affecting the laws of other counties?
That is not a concern more than another county using Denver as precedence in its laws. State laws are still accepted.

If you think give them an inch and they take a mile, then it was. The problem has always been people taking it too far. Opening/proposing to open up too close to schools!
That kind of behavior is provacating action from those that may not act.

It will get sorted eventually, but look at the City Council of Denver to overreact on most things. They are probably quite used to legal challenges.

K

Kola Radical

It's not a matter of being assimilated and not leaving again... it's actually a curse by Chief Niwot (left hand), who was an Arapahoe. His tribe owned and hunted this land for many years before the white man murdered them all and stole it.

Anyway, Chief Niwot left a curse on the white men who took his land. You can come here, but you can never really leave. The famous Curse of the Boulder Valley.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_the_Boulder_Valley

hazy

Veteran
key phrase from the city council in the article was that this was all they could get in the "first phase".
They're coming back for more of our rights again later.

med-caregiver

chris romers is a idiot, hes trying to play both sides of the fence by making the medical marijuana movement more difficult and ridiculous by restricting the supply and demand which is already suffering, and taxing heavily on top of it, then to add insult to injury, hes trying to take credit for the hard work our movement has fought for and basically boosting his own image and campaign at medical marijuana patients and caregivers expense, while he clearly is ignorant to the important issues and is more concerned with making it harder to access medicine. mmj should be treated as medical, it shouldnt be compared to liquor, if anything should be compared to pharmacies. I HATE PIGS and politicians......well the crooked ones at the very least. fuck the police and happy medicating

One Love 731

Veteran
To all those that think more rules and regulations is a good thing, I hope your alarm goes off soon. Karma, One Love