What's new

Do people REALLY think growing marijuana is easy?

As an experienced group, we all understand (us growers) how much lighting we need, what strains to choose, what mediums to use, what growing systems suit us best, what our P.H should be, watering cycles, CO2, etc, etc, etc…. but now that marijuana has caught such mainstream attention with shows like “Marijuana Inc.” (which I happen to love) and cannabis laws changing everyday, I hear so many people talking about “I want to grow weed” that I think to myself “man, don’t they realize how hard this is?”

Go onto to Google and type in “how to grow marijuana” and you’ll see number 1 – 698,000 different links of “how to grow marijuana”. Everyone is trying to sell their books or DVD’s but they don’t want to tell you how if you plug your lights incorrectly into different sockets how you can burn your whole house down. How you can invest anywhere from $2,000 - $40,000 and completely fuck up your first harvest by not knowing what you’re doing and losing your ass in the process, or probably getting a beating from the guy who fronted you the money!

There is so much that goes into growing, but all people see are the $$$$. (I’m talking about the retards that know nothing about this and want to grow). Am I the only one that’s kind of urked' by this or have you felt the same way? I keep reading posts on different people wanting to move out to cannabis friendly states to grow but they don’t realize that true experience comes from trial and error. If you can afford it.

What do you guys think? Do people really think you just plant seeds, add some sunlight and PRESTO = you get money?

U

ureapwhatusow

growing marijuana is easy

growing the best of the best now thats another story

For us its easy because we know what were doing. I'm talking more about the people who don't know shit for shit and want to grow.

And your right. Majority of the people want the best shit, no one wants the shwag so thats another strike against the rooks'. If you can't produce good quality buds, you are going to sit on your harvest for a loooooooooooong time

H

humboldtlocal

I just throw seeds on the ground and then count all the money.
picture.php

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
Your typical american, around here anyways, will get the idea and all the sudden think he/she is an expert and refuses to accept or look for help. Or will be open to only one suggestion at a time relying on themselves for the rest.

The only time they will listen is if their job security is threatened or something else of theirs is threatened, they are just too damn ignorant to learn a massive amount of information over the course of a few months.

southpaw

Well, I have all kinds of respect for professional growers, indoors and out. Their command of logistics, running multiple rooms, technology, wiring, construction, guerilla techniques, genetics, genetic preservation, crop training, yeild maximization, and overall ingenuity continually blow me away, and remind me that I have all kinds of things to learn. And that I'll probably never come close to learning "everything".

But as far as small scale personal grows go? When you get down to it, it's pretty damned easy.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's the new get rich quick shceme and there are suckers around every corner. It's shamefull to see it exploited, but that's part of the process. People who don't have their head in the game (speaking to the ones who put food on their table doing this) and are ready to work are going to crash and burn. Some of the warehouse grows have some almost hemp style plants. Someone just lost a lot of money. It's not going to happen.

I believe competition will naturally weed out those who aren't dedicated enough to make quality product. Growing a couple of plants isn't too bad, but looking at it from a business commodity product perspective, be it meds or rec, is another monster. I'm just poking him with a stick right now so I can't say this from first hand experience. A lot of people on here can though. I just view it as an emerging industry of potentially huge proportions. Going to to be a fun ride. Oh yeah, patience is a huge help lol.

B

Blue Dot

After 25 years, sure, it's easy.

Ask me 25 years ago, that would be a different story.

Tom Hill

Veteran
1547wider.jpg

66 containers 30k, mortgage 27K, help 150K, those 11 medis posted in the background 75K, Trimming 44K -all rounded down... 326K before I feed the fam. Yeah, piece O cake lol, outside of additional stressors - no pressure, easy peezy. Even more humorous are the folk who think there's a bunch of money falling from the sky in the breeding scene. -T

Q

quest

I dont even throw the seeds.....just let em drop. And don't count the money ....just spend it.

I don't think it is easy, having a small budget and criminal restrictions. It is easy for people with land and access to rights of organized crime that allows them to grow cannabis with such ease. Some of us have so much paranoia, people asking why a box was on your door from UPS!

I think honestly a large amount of good buds is going to be sit on a lot longer, than a lot of worthless 'marijuana'. It's all about well cured buds and that is not so easy, in a lot of lifestyles. I live in an area that isn't far from major Mafia people, as well as harsh prison sentences. Then there is the fact that anyone that suspects you are up to something that is illegal and they don't own/run...is a major problem!

Not only is it a risk of being robbed, beaten (which happens just because a cop showed up at your door asking about other things) there have been murders...not as much in this city as in one or two not far away if you drive.

It's seriously risky being seen doing suspicious things, it's not Cali where people are cool and let you live your life! It's the kind of thing were if it's not the cops basically muscling in on the Mafia then it's that general atmosphere from other people that know they are secure..in a lot of ways but do a lot of things that they just got away with.

So much of MMJ turns into a organized crime family or families, it's not hippy mafia! So I feel some responsibility getting out of the real dirty crime Mafia so that others can live and medicated as we saw the vision...of healing, not mafia!

Not everyone lives around a rich history of car bombs, very Italian mombsters huge corrupt cops stings, as well as judges busted for that, even a representative. A FBI agent was even busted for being corrupt, stealing a lot of cocaine!

It makes cannabis a major problem because people are attached to more serious on goings, than some medical cannabis initiative.

It's not California!

G

good drown

tom, whats the 30k for the containers mean? is all that a year?

Tom Hill

Veteran
I mean 66 500 gallon containers cost about $450 each. No, not all year, that's extra, I forgot about that, lol. Like I said, rounded down.

antimatter

Veteran
I would say it takes 5 years to actually have a good idea of what your trying to accomplish, but I wouldn't say its ever easy and its going to cost you a lot of money, even people that have been growing for 20 years still lose out every now and then, and were not talking about just a couple dollars.

Latest posts

Latest posts