What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

apple tree

cough_cough_eer

Anita Bonghitt
Veteran
I hope its ok ask here since apples are technically fruit, but I have an apple tree and never expected to actually see any fruit appear on it.(I only have one :nono: ) I bought it as a mystery tree at the dollar store ( had no label, but knew it had to be red/green apple , peach or pear ) But anyway. I need to know what kind of insecticide to use on it to keep the bugs/birds from eating the apples, but safe for human consumption...could I put some neem oil into a sprayer??? uuummmmmm :bow: :joint:
Great fforum!!!!! thanks in advance

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey cough...we have a apple tree and the birds and such leave it alone, I have more trouble with them eating the cherries then apples but I would think neem would be fine, also check with your local nursery, they prolly know what will work good.

good luck, can ya show us pic of the tree?....I dont know what kind ours is either.

cough_cough_eer said:
I hope its ok ask here since apples are technically fruit, but I have an apple tree and never expected to actually see any fruit appear on it.(I only have one :nono: ) I bought it as a mystery tree at the dollar store. uuummmmmm :bow: :joint:
Great fforum!!!!! thanks in advance

I wish they had mystery fruit trees at our dollar store. lol .. I would get a bunch.. I love surprises.

When we lived in the mountains I grew two apple trees from seed that never made it more that 2 feet tall before dying from the temp. changes. I had taken 2 seeds out of an apple I was eating and stuck them in one of my house plants in the window. One day Dr. Bud walked by and said .. "did you put pot seeds in the window?" by then I had forgot I had shoved them in the plants. I said no honey why as he pointed out my sprouts. I laughed and told him they were apples. His friend told me that they would never grow into apples that would be edible. That they would be small and too sour to eat? Anyone know the truth to this? I never got a chance to grow them out. :joint:

MrFista

Veteran
Most fruit trees are grafted these days, but also, most apples will grow true to type.

The grafting is to marry a hardy disease and pest resistant rootstock to a good harvesting fruitstock.

Apples from seed do run all sorts of risks but it's not impossible to get good apples from seed. Granny smiths were 'discovered', being a wild stock from seed once.

If you want to grow apples in your climate, see what local growers are growing and get seed off the best apple off the best tree.

There are over 3000 varieties - I gaurantee LOTS of them are not suited to various climates.

cough_cough_eer

Anita Bonghitt
Veteran
here she is.........my 6.00 tree

here she is.........my 6.00 tree

I didn't grow this one from seed, I guess it would have been a clone...Gonna go to a nursery today to see about it, hopefully they are open. thanks for replying y'all, maybe I'll actually get to eat some apples,

DrBudGreengenes

Veteran
MrFista said:
Most fruit trees are grafted these days, but also, most apples will grow true to type.

MrFista.....
like I explained to Mrs's Bud at the time. Apples you get at the store will NOT grow true to type....Bcuz of the Pollen used to make the apple.
In the Orchard Bizz you use what are called "Pollinators" to insure a good even apple crop....the strain most used it a VERY hardy apple that puts out 10's of thousand of fruit per tree...and also a Huge cloud of pollen the fruit are the size of a Grape...and taste like hell deer will not even eat them.

But thats what they are there for just there pollen. so the other trees will set fruit

Still prolly make a nice tree....but the fruit will prolly be lil' & bitter like dad his genes R strong :joint:

Last edited:

DrBudGreengenes

Veteran
cough_cough_eer said:

I didn't grow this one from seed, I guess it would have been a clone...Gonna go to a nursery today to see about it, hopefully they are open. thanks for replying y'all, maybe I'll actually get to eat some apples,

Sweet dollar store tree....she is pretty :smoker:

maryjohn

Veteran
my father worked for years in the apple business, and always told me apples do not grow true to type. You can wind up with just about anything when you plant apple seeds. Modern varieties are freaks of nature that need grafting in order to breed true.

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
I personally use a heavy neem spray during dormancy and then every few weeks at recommended dosage. Only thing we get on them here though is leaf rollers and aphids for the most part.

sackoweed

I took anger management already!!!! FUCK!!!
Veteran
cough cough
howzit brother..?? hope all is well... Nice apple tree.. if ya have a kid for a neighbor buy a bee bee gun lol... j/k I thought id drop in and say high a do a bong hit with ya.. peace..

sack

Latest posts

Latest posts