What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ongoing problem with wrinkled leaves in veg

stofe

Bred bonsaibud,
I've exactly the same symptom on some of my babbies...you said their was poisoning with sodium benzoate but where this sodium came from ?
For the moment, not all of the garden is touched but I'm a bit pessimistic, someone maybe could help us...
And what about bad genetic seeds from bad seedbank ???

edit : dicofol :jump:

Last edited:

BonsaiBud

stofe: The poison would be something in Kikoman soy sauce. I used those kind of used food buckets for the water system. As for seedbank: I have pretty much ruled that out. I order from various British, European, and Canadian seed banks. There is no way that all of them bred the same bad genetics in...all of a sudden; even if that is an easy blame. First, I said salt. Now: I blame a novel type of salt. Sodium benzoate is used in less than 1/10 of 1% of soy sauce as a PRESERVATIVE. I began by mixing my water and soil (Roots + Wallgreens faucet filter) in a Kikoman bucket. Historically: that is when my problems began. As of late: I hooked my RO/DI filter up to fill the Kikoman buckets and then used that water on healthy plants. Now, they are not healthy but deathly. One thing that I cannot rule out is an airborne attach. I have the questionable dirt from dead plant grows. I will plant legals in it and watch the disease. then I will take those plants to the best experts in the region. I can also have runoff water from my soil tested.

BonsaiBud

Update: most all the plants are growing out of the problem since I got new water buckets. I've transplanted, removing as much old dirt (and poison) as possible and have everything in nice square pots now. As the bad leaves grow out, remove then and throw them away. It is as if the plant sequesters the toxin in the new growth so that it can get rid of it this way. Original fan leaves have remained stronger. I'm using Fox Farm Ocean Forest instead of Roots soil for most of the grow. When I get an EC meter I will test the runoff from the two different soils.

The toxin was enough to temporarily wipe out my fungus gnat colony. Now, for the first time, a grower is happy to have fungus gnats. However, I hope they enjoy cinnamon. I sprinkled all the dirt with it when I watered them this evening.

one of my first grows i had to trash my entire set-up,(plants in flower @ 4weeks, plants in veg, and about 20 clones) because of a Mosaic virus. Cucumber Mosaic virus to be exact. YOur friends plants exhibit some of the same symptoms mine had, mainly weird asymetric growth and that weird crinkly leaf shit...I hope from your friends sake that mosaic virus is not the cause. peace

BonsaiBud

Quick update: I don't think it was the buckets or anything to do with the water. I switched to Fox Farm soil and all is well.

My current suspicion is that a huge shipment of salty (unrinsed) coco fiber hit the industry and it was salty. Some companies didn't rinse it properly (Roots' Rainovations for one (now gone under)) No coco in Fox Farm, just a lot of semi-non-renewable peat and humus. Now if I can only get that killer Japanese "whale emulsion" flower fert...lol. Just kidding about the whale emulsion.

Latest posts

Latest posts