What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

help with odor

panjo

so.... i got me a uvonair hooked up to my exhaust duct.
there is still a noticable smell in the back yard. neighbors are
pretty close. the generator is about 15 to 20 feet from the exhaust.
my options...... i think.
create a loop of duct of about another 20 feet to allow the air to mix
better before being exhausted.. or.. use an old homemade carbon filter
inside a cardboard box making it look like just a box sitting on the deck outside. my question is if i install the carbon filter as mentioned above will the uv totally destroy the carbon inside the filter before it even has a chance to work? is uv harmfull to carbon?

jdigga

another choice you have is get a ozone generator it cleans up the smell nice (so ive heard ) carbon filters should work fine.

G

i think it wont do nothing to the activated carbon...but i dont know for sure and im entirly to stonned to comprehend what im reading rite now...peace

Last edited:

panjo

well i got 25 ft of duct and looped it back and forth and round and round before the exhaust. still didnt help much. looks like im gonna hafta build a makeshift carbon filter on the deck outside where the air exhaust. anyone know if the uv from the ozone generator will destroy the carbon in the filter i install outside? im gonna make it look like just a cardboard box sitting on the deck up against the house. its under roof so it wont get wet.

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
panjo said:
well i got 25 ft of duct and looped it back and forth and round and round before the exhaust. still didnt help much. looks like im gonna hafta build a makeshift carbon filter on the deck outside where the air exhaust. anyone know if the uv from the ozone generator will destroy the carbon in the filter i install outside? im gonna make it look like just a cardboard box sitting on the deck up against the house. its under roof so it wont get wet.

ozone is best for sterilizing the room and oxidizing mold and bacteria.

carbon is best for smell.
ditch the uvonator or just keep it in the room and use the carbon for exhaust, never had problems.

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
Ozone needs a little time to work on killing the odor. The 25 extra feet was a good idea but maybe you need more time. Less airflow might give you that time.

panjo

ive been thinking along the same lines. my exhaust fan is pretty strong.
it removes air from the upper section of the box and from 2400 watts of light as well. temperatures are very high if i dont have the exhaust as strong as it is. i need to back up and rethink the whole ventelation system again. the lights draw from outside and tie back into the exhaust i think i need to completly seperate the two and then i could reduce the flow from the smelly duct and still keep the same temperatures. back to the drawing board i guess.

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
panjo said:
ive been thinking along the same lines. my exhaust fan is pretty strong.
it removes air from the upper section of the box and from 2400 watts of light as well. temperatures are very high if i dont have the exhaust as strong as it is. i need to back up and rethink the whole ventelation system again. the lights draw from outside and tie back into the exhaust i think i need to completly seperate the two and then i could reduce the flow from the smelly duct and still keep the same temperatures. back to the drawing board i guess.

your on the right track now.
one for the lights, with seperate intake from outside
and another just to vent the roomair.
hopefuly the decrease in velocity will give ur ozone better time.
i find that "hot air" smells worse then cold....asif it does somthing to increase the smell...

Last edited:

panjo

thanks everyone for your help. the smell DEFINATLY increases when the lights come on. (warm air) i have some plans now.

Latest posts

Latest posts