What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Having a male hermi?

Hey all, I just wanted to check up because something interesting happened over the weekend.
We have a couple males, one bubblicious and one ak48 from nirvana which we have under a few cfls so we can get some seeds off of some girl plants.

We had some people stay with us over the weekend so the lights had to go off and the males had roughly 48 hours of very dim light but not complete darkness.
I went in to check the ak48 male today and it has white hairs coming from the top! Is this a normal male plant thing?

Can male plants hermi?

jdigga

yes they can specialy if you have a sudden change in the photoperiod plants are highly likely to turn hermie if you have an interuption in the photoperiod or if you have a change in temperature, also i would not recomend cfls or hps to grow out seeds i would recomend a cool blue metal halide, use cfls for sprouting metal halide for vegging then move to hps for flowering if you are growing a seedless crop.

well I do have a 250hps, but I don't want to put the males in the room to flower them out. I was hoping to have a few cfls be enough to produce the pollen needed to get some small scale pollenating going on.

whats the deal on hermied out males? Because it was a male and it hermied, does it mean the seeds it could produce will most likely be male seeds?
I don't need that.

ixnay007

"I can't remember the last time I had a blackout"
Veteran
CFLs are just fine for vegging, if you don't have big plants, and have enough wattage. I wouldn't trust the pollen from the hermie, it's a trait that's bound to pass.

G

Dude...everything I've heard about males going female is awesome. Supposedly stellar breeders if you can keep it male. I'm not sure about how valuable it will be if it turns and stays fem but gotta be something. Just saw this happen with someone a few months back...it's good news. There's a bit more to it than that but can't recollect all the details.

Last edited:
octodiem said:
xy or xx there is no such thing as a "male" hermie.

Like Glady posted, thats basically whats going on with me.

ixnay - I figured roughly 70-80 combined cfl watts could at least flower a male to the point where I could snag a small bit of pollen from it. I figured since males aren't serious bud producers, they didn't need as much light. I don't have enough room to put it under my HID light anyway.

Mountain - I'm sure I can keep it male, but would you be able to elaborate on the good things you've heard? I was thinking since female hermies produce mostly feminized seeds, that male hermies would do the opposite and produce mostly male seeds (yuck). Do you know what I can expect to happen out of a male hermi?

G

I sent ya a PM and got a response. Best to check that stuff out if you already haven't. Chat with Rolan directly...he'd be the best person to ask questions about what you got going on.

EDIT - I just got some beans bred from a male that did exactly what yours is doing. It's was a Cherry Hemmingway he/she x Purple Meteor. Should be good stuff.

Last edited:
yah I typed out that last post before I even noticed I had a PM.
Thanks for the info, I'm too sketched out by the internet to want
to post any pictures on here yet, but once everything is done I'll share the reports

blackone

Veteran
No, it will be a 50/50 chance, since pollen is the deciding factor in sex. Female hermi pollen gives female (hermi) seeds because they lack the y chromosome.

ixnay007

"I can't remember the last time I had a blackout"
Veteran
DankSwayzee said:
Like Glady posted, thats basically whats going on with me.

ixnay - I figured roughly 70-80 combined cfl watts could at least flower a male to the point where I could snag a small bit of pollen from it. I figured since males aren't serious bud producers, they didn't need as much light. I don't have enough room to put it under my HID light anyway.

From what I've heard, males really don't need much light at all to continue flowering (I remember one guy took his male and put it under an incandescent lamp in his room, and it just chugged right along), a couple CFLs should provide all the light you need.

bobblehead

Veteran
According to DJ short, male hermies are supposed to be a desirable trait for breeding. hmmm... a male plant, that really wants to be a female... but, what does DJS know....

G

According to DJ short, male hermies are supposed to be a desirable trait for breeding.
Absolutely...confirmed by a low key breeder I know of that's been doing it for like ever. He's said any male he's run across like this turned out to be an excellent breeder.