What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best led option for 3ft x 3ft aeroponic setup.

Ppple

Hi, I want to make a new grow tent with aeroponic setup.
I have a 3ft x 3ft grow box.
I want the best led option, which I have to use?
Single led design? Cob? Cree led?
DIY or premade product?

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
What is your budget?

Also are you in europe or the Americas?

Id say either DIY samsung strips in a mix of 3.5 and 2.7k.. or samsung diode boards like quantum boards (other manufacturers/resellers do exist)..

Other DIY options like using osram oslon diodes are out there and anything you can dream up but it depends on your budget and to be honest the results are still out on what the "best" actually is. Experience with wiring and soldering is useful..

Ppple

What is your budget?

Also are you in europe or the Americas?

Id say either DIY samsung strips in a mix of 3.5 and 2.7k.. or samsung diode boards like quantum boards (other manufacturers/resellers do exist)..

Other DIY options like using osram oslon diodes are out there and anything you can dream up but it depends on your budget and to be honest the results are still out on what the "best" actually is. Experience with wiring and soldering is useful..

Hi, I'm in Europe, I see bestva led the 2000w version, or the amstergrow 9 cob from china...
DIY is an option, I want the best for money, budget is 500/600 I want the same result of a 600w hps or at last better than 400w hps..
I prefer premade option..

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
CMH is a good shout-- great lights..

Id stay away from ALL blatently chinese lucky deal big wattage type lights.. those rigs your talking about are super wasteful..

2000w of the led tech i use could light a 15 x 15 foot area..

Dont buy that shit on amazon..

Go to todogrowled.com if you're in europe and at least buy something efficient.

Get a few years under your belt and then look at DIY when you're better informed.

Spaventa

Veteran
I went and looked at an LED setup today called the Urban Buddy. 450w and does the job of a 1000w HPS and only needs a 4” exhaust fan it runs so cool.
I’m CMH now but after seeing it in person today, I know I will be LED within a year.

R

Rab.C

this sounds great i will need too look this up. i was going to get adjusta wing 315cmh

Koondense

Veteran
Check for qb kits, very simple to assemble, great price.
Get two 240w kits for a bit over 500€.
And get a dimmer too :)

Cheers

Spaventa

Veteran
this sounds great i will need too look this up. i was going to get adjusta wing 315cmh

The Urban Buddy is £1100. By next year should be a lot less. The one Koondense mentioned sounds like a bargain.
I know the Urban Buddy has been thoroughly tested and at 3500k, does the business for veg and flower. It’s made here in UK so I wouldn’t have any doubts about it but until the price comes down, I’ll wait!

https://grownuphydroponics.com/urban-buddy-led-full-spectrum-grow-light.html

Ppple

I want to use amazon nutriculture in 1m x 1m grow room I want the better light, if the better light is 600w hps I will use 600w hps...
If I can use 350w CHM I will use that, so which is the better option for my 1m x 1m grow box???

Spaventa

Veteran
I have two tents...they are 1.2x1.2. and 2m tall. Each has an Amazon, a 4” exhaust fan and a 315 CMH in it :)

Forget HPS.

Spaventa

Veteran
So is better 315 CMH or 2x288 samsung board??

I do not know but I do know that a 315 CMH over an NC Amazon works great.

I check periodically on the progress with LED because that’s definitely where it’s headed but right now, an LED that does as good a job as a CMH is 3 times the price to buy.

gladysvjubb

Veteran
I got rid of my 400W HPS and I am not looking back! LED's have arrived with some serious power. Very bright light. I recommend these to anyone.

Ppple

I'm in EU for 315w CMH I will spend about 300$, for two panel of samsung board I will spend about 500/600$... And 2 x samsung are 480w...

So I'm confused 315w CMH can perform better than led? 315w CMH is enought for 1m x 1m? Or 480w samsung led are too much for 1m x 1m?

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
You can dim the LEDs for one thing..

They both have upsides and down sides..

Imvho get the 288s.. they will last about a decade and the replacement CMH bulbs are crazy expensive. I also get a better yield per watt from the qbs..

Downsides might be lack of blue and uv in final weeks which helps with terps and thc as the cmh bulbs are more tuned to those wavelengths.. personally i dont really notice much difference and you can always supplement with extra 5k lights or emerson effect strips..

The cmh heats the plants up a bit more when at ideal hanging heaight PAR wise which can be good or bad depending on your enviroment.. i also find the bulbs a touch too blue for the middle of flowering but great the rest of the time.. all lights have their upsides and down sides and have to be dialed in with other growth factors like temps, hanging height etc..

There are other good options but i feel as a beginner that wants to get sensible bang for buck you cant do much better than the samsung boards.. :2cents:

Koondense

Veteran
Yeah, get two QB kits and you'll be ok for at least five years.
If you need links write me a pm.

Cheers

Ppple

Yeah, get two QB kits and you'll be ok for at least five years.
If you need links write me a pm.

Cheers

Ok maybe qb are the better..
And how about your setup? I notice that you use cob and not single led setup why? Cob are better?
Maybe a 8* cree 3590 will be better??

Last edited:

Koondense

Veteran
I think QBs will be better than cobs.
The cobs i have are my first lights, around 3years old now, QBs were not invented yet at the time :)
But i tried qbs a couple weeks ago and i was blown away by their light production, amazing stuff.
My next lights will be qbs, eventually.

Cheers