What's new

Potato and Tomato grafted on same plant...hmmm "Ketchup n Fries"

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Toooo cool! Bummer, we missed out on the first batch--and the company is sold out now, but I think we are on the "waiting list". Very interesting....as these guys are the "exclusive source" in US.

Source: http://www.territorialseed.com/product/grafted-tomtato-ketchup-n-fries

17283_8895_large.jpg

Grafted Ketchup 'n' Fries™

NEW! Potatoes and Tomatoes harvested off the same blimey plant! This exciting grafted combination was first introduced to U.K. home gardeners last year, and was a smashing success. Now for the first time this same tomato/potato grafted combination known as Ketchup 'n' Fries is being exclusively offered mail order to American gardeners by Territorial Seed Company. This thoroughly tested duo is the ultimate container plant, but will do equally well in the open garden.

ABOVE GROUND: Tomatoes
You can expect harvests of over 500 red cherry tomatoes with a Brix level of 10.2. Makes for delicious snacking, salad toppers, drying and some very sweet ketchup!
BELOW GROUND: Potatoes
Incredibly you'll be making your French fries from up to 4 1/2 pounds of delicious white potatoes. They also taste great baked, mashed, or roasted.

Tomatoes are members of the potato family and are therefore naturally compatible with potatoes. Each Ketchup 'n' Fries plant is hand-grafted to create this unique double cropping novelty. There is no genetic modification—it's an all-natural process.
Plants come with complete growing instructions (not that you really need them as TomTatos® are easy to grow) and a certification of authenticity to demonstrate proof to your astonished friends. They are going to think Ketchup 'n' Fries are the Bees Knees!
Ketchup 'n' Fries TomTatos are shipped in 2 1/2 inch pots in our custom designed plant shipping box so you can be sure your plant will arrive in perfect shape. Brilliant!

Available only within the contiguous US.

HatchBrew

Veteran
Potatoes have been used as a graft root source for some time. Allow the potato to begin rooting, poke hole for your cut, and insert. The potato flesh is moist and its roots will keep the cut going until its roots come in.

I prefer potato towers over growing them in ground. Takes up less space and I find less pests this way.

dickcorn

Cool!
Hatch, so your saying after potato starts to grow you put cutting in actual potato? Or growing stem of potato plant? Interesting, I'm definitely going to research this more.

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
I would imagine that you would first run the tomato part of the plant through its course...then whack it to allow the potato portion to finish. Here in So Cali, the climate is such the potatoes are best when they finish late summer/early fall; many of us grow tomatoes year round--so the tomato part of the plant probably is not the "determining factor" of the duo.

I wonder what specific variety of potato they are using....or does it really matter? Hatch--your thoughts?

vostok

Veteran
17283_8895_large.jpg

Interesting but still No Biggy ...as both types belong to the same family

"Deadlynightshade" off shoot!

of more interest is cannabis and hops...?

WelderDan

Veteran
This is not exactly new. Both are members of the nightshade family and it's been known for some time this can be done.

Tomacco anyone? It was a gag on The Simpsons, but it has been done.

Then there is the Hops/Cannabis graft....

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Always looking for something odd or "avant garde" to grow in my veggie garden.

I have grafted fruit trees before and watched vineyard owners graft new grape varietals on existing rootstock...and yes, even experimented (back in the 70s) with grafting cannabis onto hops....(found out the hard way that hop plants do not grow well in So Cali). I know "old timers" start "problematic" rose cuttings in potatoes (they say potatoes have the right amount of nutrients and moisture for roots to take off)...but have not tried it myself.

I recall the potatoes that did quite well for us were Yukon Gold and some crazy blue Peruvian tuber (those were super delish!). So...maybe next season (two late for potatoes now...already have the garden going) I will try grafting some small sized-fruit tomatoes on Yukon Golds and see what gives.

vostok

Veteran
Far better to spend your time eating them tomatoes and using the potatoes to clone cannabis with ..

1: clean potatoe

2: make hole width of a pencil

3: insert cannabis cutting

4:bury potato 1/2 inch under soil

5: check daily ..remove any potato leaves

6: check daily spray water 2x pumps per day

This is not exactly new. Both are members of the nightshade family and it's been known for some time this can be done.

Tomacco anyone? It was a gag on The Simpsons, but it has been done.

Then there is the Hops/Cannabis graft....

haha, oh shit, havent thought about that in like 10 years, that made my day.

snake11

Got one of these today. The local nursery got a lot of them and apparently they didn't sell well. They were giving them away free today with purchase so I gabbed one. We will see how it goes!

Latest posts

Latest posts