What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help with making fast draining soil mix

Blueberry78

So I use gascans mix for my babies, but I also grow a tropical plant called plumeria which is native to hawaii. I'm hoping some of you fine people here may be able to help me adjust the mix to be more suitable for my plumeria, which prefer a fast draining soil.

Here's gascans mix....

Here's the base mix I suggest to all humans in dry US gallons..

3 to 4 gallons regular peat moss with no additives...no need for fancy packages...(if the topsoil,compost,EWC in the recipe look like they might be muddy...use 4 gallons,if not use 3...or adjust accordingly)
1 gallon HIGH quality earthworm castings
1 gallon local HIGH quality topsoil screened for this potting mix
2 or more gallons small and/or medium sized pumice,perlite,or lava rock...consistencies vary,adjust accordingly.
1 gallon vermiculite
2 gallons coco husk..rinsed well and fully hydrated
1 gallon leaf litter or forest duff..screened for this potting mix
1 gallon HIGH quality compost
1/2 gallon screened clay or bentonite

1/2 cup this 3 part lime mix based off Steve Soloman's 3 -way lime mix..adjusted by Coot a few years ago.....for the peat moss..and a continued supply of mag,cal,and sulfur as you recycle.

Since the start of this thread we have since determined that dolomite is not necessary,but this lime mix still works for the peat moss ph regardless.

1 part powdered dolomite lime
1 part agricultural gypsum
2 parts powdered oyster shell

These dried commercially available amendments...

2 cups crab shell meal
4 cups acadian kelp meal
4 cups fish meal OR N. bat guano
4 cups fish bone meal
1 cup sul-po-mag...aka langbeinite
2 cups neem seed meal..or karanja seed meal
1 cup alfalfa

Plumeria growers usually use a mix of equal parts fir bark, turface, & granite. This mix is extremely fast draining, which is good for plumeria, but I want the microbes to take care of my plants for me.

Side note- the composition of soil in hawaii is 25% air, 25% water, 44% mineral, & 6% organic matter.

So I'm thinking that I'm going to need to cut down on the peat moss & the coco husk, & increase the aeration material.

What do you guys think? How can I get this dialed in?

Thanks for your time guys!

Peace

whiteberrieS

Ignominious and Pale
Veteran
Coco-fiber. Microbes grow well on it, it drains like a sieve. Not coco-coir, get the fiber. That'll keep your drainage free-flowing and microbes love coco. Coir's actually becoming a choice medium for mushroom farmers.

whiteberrieS

Ignominious and Pale
Veteran
My fault, missed the part where you said you're trying to cut down on coco husk. More air than coco? A wiffleball under the rootball at transplant's the only thing I know that holds more air than coco.

hayday

Veteran
Pro-mix has a Mycorrhizae mix that drains like crazy.Search it out.I use it as an amendment but I'm sure you could incorperate it in any way you need to

C

Carlos Danger

Promix bx. I use it for starting seeds, rooting plants (some plants root better with a little sand added), and as the basic mix for my aloes. You might want to ask unclefishsticks in general gardening. He grows loads of plants like that.

S

Sat X RB

Plumeria grow easily on the east coast here (tropical and sub-tropical). I have seen them growing wild on the beach above high water mark. so SHARP SAND!

TheSmellOfGreen

Easiest way is just throw some extra vermiculite or perlite in those particular planters or mix in with the soil. I had a plant that tended to hold water, always looked over watered, added another 2 handfuls of perlite to the 7 gallon mix and seemed to knock out the issues and get her on time with the others in the mix.

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
As we are now discussing plumerias :) this thread has been moved to the general gardening forum.

C

Carlos Danger

Payaso! Check the report bin, I had to resort to it to try and grab your attention. Not just some fng just misusing the button! Fingers crossed you catch one of the two.

Clarence

FUZZY WUZZY
Veteran
Here's my plumeria that I recently received.

Keeping my eye on this thread as it seems you have way more insight into the soil than myself. Will be handy when it comes to repotting.

full time daddy
Veteran
Lava rock & bunker sand is what I'm using for my papaya it is working so far