What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Get Rid of Fungus Gnats For Good Using Mosquito Dunks

L

LolaGal

Fungus Gnats are a pain in the butt, and they can damage plants too!

Get rid of them by using Mosquito Dunks! Works like a charm!

Take a Mosquito Dunk and break off a piece. Crumble about 1/4 teaspoon on the top of each new pot of soil used in the grow.

Mosquito Dunk does not mind being dried out, still works fine.

The Dunk kills the damaging little gnats before they ever start flying. Once the cycle is broken with Dunk, then no more adults! No more breeding.

Since these little buggers come in potting soil bags, etc., make sure to always put some Dunk on ALL new soil brought into the grow. This will keep them from getting a start in your grow ever again.

Using Just Dunks, you can get rid of ALL the gnats in a couple weeks it takes to work. AND you can never have gnats in your grow again.

I have used this myself, works great, very easy and simple to do as well.

Hope this helps ya'll out.

Bulldog11

Veteran
Sounds great, however I don't know what a Mosquito dunk is. Also, does this work in hydro and soil?

sns_stealth

Sounds great, however I don't know what a Mosquito dunk is. Also, does this work in hydro and soil?

google is your friend...lol

mosquito_dunks_group_450w.jpg

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=xqO&q=mosquito+dunks&btnG=Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g10

L

LolaGal

Mosquito Dunks are a product sold to keep skeeters out of ponds. They are designed to float in a pond for months.

They release some bacteria type stuff that kills off fungus gnats too, and it is organic and what not... no chemicals.

Works great in hydro or soil.

The gnat eats the Dunk, and then it's little gut explodes... Mwahahahaha.

No more gnats.

Bulldog11

Veteran
Thanks for clearing that up, and this sounds like a great idea. I sometimes get these fungi gnats and they piss me off. Good to know that there is a remedy. Thanks for the info

bong_chat

It's funny this is the first thing I see when I log on here this morning. I just bought some dunks last night. If you guys are looking, in the midwest they are at Lowes for $9.99 for a 6 pack. Been dealing with fungus gnats for the last couple weeks and having a bitch of a time with them. I heard about using dunks from a friend who has an indoor tomato and pepper grow. Asked him what I should do to get rid of these gnats in my houseplants. I already put a sand cap on my pots, so I'm soaking some dunks in the water I plan to use for a nice soil drench.

Though I never thought to crumble them on top of the soil though. Guess I know what I'm doing later today at lights on. If you've never used a sand cap, it's kind of a pain to water through. I would have just used the dunks had I known about it. Also getting more soil today. I know these things came in my last bag of biobizz all mix, so now I plan to preemptivly strike the lil bastards.

I sunno what it is with this shop. I was a hardcore Fox farms ocean forest junkie forever. And I always had silverfish in those bags. Now I use bio bizz (and never plan on turning back to FFoF) and I get fungas gnats. Glad I didn't chose the medium that comes complete with spider mites...lol.

sns_stealth

The gnat eats the Dunk, and then it's little gut explodes... Mwahahahaha.

you think thats evil?

How beneficial nematodes work:The life cycle of beneficial nematodes consists of six distinct stages: an egg stage, four juvenile stages and the adult stage. The adult spends its life inside the host insect. The third juvenile stage, called a dauer, enters the bodies of insects (usually the soil dwelling larval form. After a single nematode finds and enters an insect through its skin or natural openings, the nematode release a toxic bacteria that kills its host, usually within a day or two. In less than two weeks the nematodes pass through several generations of adults, which literally fill the insect cadaver. The nematodes actively searches for insect larvae. Once inside the larva the nematodes excretes specific bacteria from its digestive trac before it starts to feed. The bacteria multiply very rapid and convert the host tissue into products that the nematodes take up and use for food. The larva dies within a few days and the color changes from white-beige to orange-red or red-brown. The nematodes multiply and develop within the dead insect. As soon as the nematodes are in the infectious third stage, they leave the old host and start searching for new larvae. Infected grubs turn color from white-beige to red brown 2-4 days after application and becomes slimy. After a few weeks, dead larvae disintegrate completely and are difficult to find.

nematodes.gif

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!...lol

MR_Falcon

Veteran
crumbling the discs on the top of the soil is a good idea. i'm gonna give this a whirl. ive been watering w/ the discs every few feed times. now they ll be there everytime i water.

L

LolaGal

die fungus Gnats Die!

die fungus Gnats Die!

I too, wondered how best to use the Dunk when I got it.

I looked online... no information available anywhere.

At first I crumbled some Dunk and soaked it in a gallon of water. I figured this would do the job. Some Dunk fell on top of the soil in the pot and I left it there. Those were the first to be gnat free.

Then I figured out that I was doing this the hard way.

Since Dunk does not mind being dried out in between waterings, I decided to sprinkle on top of the pot.

My research with this product was all I had to go on.

Sprinkling on top of the pot worked GREAT! No more bothering with soaking in water for me!

Just water the Dunk in after applying, and ALL WILL BE FINE!

If this don't work I will give you all your money back! hahahahahaha

I am 110% certain this is a CURE. In a couple weeks you will have no more FUNGUS GNATS! EVER AGAIN!!!!

However, if you forget and bring in some new soil and forget to treat it! They will be back.

Pre-empt them with adding new DUNK to every new pot of soil you use and NO MORE GNATS! :dance:

barrelhse

I've used these with great success over the years. I crumble into the soil, and keep one floating in a 5 gal bucket that i use to water. I have been gnat-free for a long time, but recently got infested from some gift clones ( must have been Trojan Horse strain). My immediate response to seeing the gnats was to get Mosquito Dunks, cuz I KNOW they work!

indifferent

Veteran
I googled these dunks and they are Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis, can't find a Uk supplier though, will have to keep looking!

L

LolaGal

yes indifferent, that is the bacillus in them that kills the fungus gnat.

The product info will not tell ya'll that this works on fungus gnats however. There is just not much info out there on this subject.

It does work on fungus gnats though. AND my Grow is 100% Mosquito free too... lol

Hi Lolagal, I have tried soo many things to try to get on top of these little bastids, including at least two products containing the same bacteria, but they didn't work.

We don't have mosquito dunks in Oz and I've heard similar reports from others so I'll have to import some, can you please tell me which brand you used so I don't waste any more time & money?

Thanks.

barrelhse

Here's one I heard today from another grower at work (who gave me gnats with some clones). He said some ladybugs got in his growroom and and ate the gnats, including the dead bodies stuck in the buds. This is hearsay, I can't say about ladybugs because I've never seen it for myself, but it may be worth a try. Sometimes ladybugs can be found for sale at garden centers. I can recommend the Summit Mosquito Dunks for those who can find them- I've avoided a similar product that was shaped like small black fish because it was all chemical, don't know the name.

L

LolaGal

sticky this thread please!

sticky this thread please!

This is a common problem, and new threads are being posted every month on this subject.

Please sticky this thread to help others.

Buy the brand of dunks shown in post by SNS stealth. THose are the ones I use.

Hope this info saves some seeds and crops.