What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rust Colored Patches on Leaves

gomer

I have one or two areas in the grow room where the plants are getting rusty leaves. Is this a serious problem thats needs attention. My main concern is if it will spread to other plants in the room. If it does not spread I don't care about a possible reduced harvest on a few plants. It does not seem to be near the buds. In one building moving plants around or out at this point is not easy.

picture.php

These rusty areas on leaves seem to be possibly spreading in one part of a couple different buildings. It is mainly happening to Sour Diesel plants, some Grape Punch plants in the area show minor signs. It does not bother any FD-The Pure or SS-Chronic or Sweet Tooth.

The plants have been watered with no nutes for 10 days. The PPM in the runoff water is extremely high. I'll try to fill as much of the form out as I can below.

The rusty areas do not leave any color on white tissue when rubbed. I'm using the term rusty as a color description.

The plants in the rooms are doing good overall. In my opinion. All plants are watered with the same hose pumping out of the same source.

A room showing the problem: (circle denotes the worst problem area - a few plants, but seems to be expanding)
picture.php

The area in the circle:
picture.php

Front of problem leaves:
picture.php

Back of problem leaves:
picture.php

I grow in soil and do not run CO2

What was the establishing technique? (seed or clone?) The Plants with problems are clones purchased from an off-site source. The FD and SS plants are from my own clones of plants started from seed
What is the age of your plants? About 7+ weeks.
How long have they been in the soil mixture they are in now? 6 weeks.
How Tall are the plants? 2-4 feet.
What PHASE (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in? Flower
What Technique are you using? (SOG, SCROG etc) Not Scrog
What size pots are you using? (Include how many subjects to pot) Most of the problem plants are in 7 gallon
What substrate/medium are you using? What brand of soil mixture are you using?(percentage of perlite, vermiculite...etc?) 33% Happy Frog, 33% Ocean Forest, 34% Pearlite mix (small/large/ex large)
What Nutrient's are you using? Nothing for 10 days. Before we used A&B and B-Cuzz Bloom and Growth
How much of each nutrient are you using with how much water? *Knowing the brand is very helpful* B-Cuzz was added at aprox half strength and the two part A&B was added to achieve 980 +or- blinking on the EC700 scale. A&B is from the A+B Fertilizer Company - Canada
How often are you feeding?Not at all. We were feeding evey water up to 10 days ago.
If flowering, when did you switch over to using Bloom nutrients? 6 Weeks ago
What order are you mixing your nutrients? (example: veg nutes 1st, bloom 2nd ect) I don't understand the question.
What is the TDS/EC/PPM of your nutrients used? The max was not fully above 980. 980 at least blinked useing EC700
What is the pH of the "RUN-OFF"? About 5.0
What method of pH test was administered? Using Strips? pH pen? Mainly the drops checked against a meter now and then.
How often are you watering? Every other day
When was your last feeding and how often are you feeding? 10/11 days ago, before feeding was at every watering
What size bulb are you using? 1000 HPS eyes in all locations
What is the distance to the canopy? Varies, 16 - 24 inches
What is your RH Factor? (Relative Humidity)40% - 55% Currently
What is the canopy temperature? 65 - 80 F
What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include fluctuation range) 15 degrees F
What is the current Air Flow? (cfm etc.) I don't remember, 18 inches in 12 inches out. Vortex
Tell us about your ventilation, intake exhaust and when its running and not running ? Above, It is run by a single controller normally. During the hot part of the summer it was disabled by timer hooked to a second temperature controller. In the afternoon when temps. go above 85 degrees outside it shuts down until outside temps. fall.
Is the fan blowing directly at plants? Not the ventilators. The oscillating fans are.
Is the grow substrate constantly wet or moist? I would guess the bottom half of the 7 gal is always moist.
Is your water HARD or SOFT? In between, mainly soft.
What water are you using? Reverse Osmosis (RO)? Tap? Bottled? Well water? Distilled? Mineral Water? Tap
Are you using water from a water softener? No
Has plant been recently pruned, cloned or pinched? No
Have any pest chemicals been used? If so what and when? Nothing since the nasty stuff the clones get dipped in. They did all get their weekly sulphur from the vaporizers since they entered the building. Nothing since September 22nd.
Are plant's infected with pest's? No. Unless the rust is caused by pests. I've looked at the problem leaves under magnification and see no pests.

As stated above, my main concern is if this is something that will spread. It is mainly in one area in each room. If not, we can start flushing again and live with it.

D

dillhole

A runoff pH of 5 is way too low for soil. What is the pH of your water/nute solution? The pics look like a micronutrient lockout. Maybe Mn or Ca?

gomer

A runoff pH of 5 is way too low for soil. What is the pH of your water/nute solution? The pics look like a micronutrient lockout. Maybe Mn or Ca?
I am watering with pH at 6. I think I will flush the plants with problems.
Thanks for the comment.

gomer

WeedChuck, Huggie bear and Tripsick - Thanks for your comments. I'm glad noone thinks it is a fungus that will spread.

EDIT:
Thanks for the help lloyd.

Last edited:
I do think it is a fungus you tracked that in from the inside and nothing will get ride of it! Sorry, the only thing I can suggest is highly dangerous! Usually some sort of cloning in a sterile solution that risks the fuck out of the plants while you rip down that grow and anything even carrying a spore..no it's not that serious but damn! I've seen a lot of leaf fungus, it's not just on wheat but it's an epidemic for many fields and on many natural weeds.

Honestly these enjoy humidity but showing signs can be helped if you..well it's a stretch, lower the humidity intensely, take all parts of the plant that show any sign and well win the micro war on your soil and all fabrics..but it takes a lot of spores, the right warm temp and wet as shit to grow this serious epidemic!

Organic Bliss

No this is not a fungus. I had it too but only on my White Widow for some reason. High pH, lock out of Cal/Mag and other nutrients in soil. I know this thread is old but in case anyone comes in wondering about the problem this is my recommendation. Flush heavily with adjusted pH water, wait and flush again in three days. Make sure to use pH adjusted water for this plant/plants until harvest.

Latest posts

Latest posts