What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Canadian Orchid - Not on Royal Botanical list of species

I found an orchid field on a long walk the other day and finally got to taking pictures.

I went online and found the list for Canada Orchid species and it's not there.

As well, the leaves and stems don't have any properties I saw in the 70ish species I clicked on....

So I ask anyone who is an orchid fanatic, can you identify the species I found or point me in the right direction? If it turns out to be rare or uncommon i'll be heading back to grab some of them with their roots and soil attached so I can figure out their PH range and hopefully grow some!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Long thorny leaves, around each node there are red thorns, the pre-flower looks like a pink thorny head.

Weirdest thing about it: Stem is hollow on the inside, some of the ones i grabbed and put in water could hold a pencil or pen in them. Redish tint on stem and turns into lines.

Attachments

• IMGP0051.jpg
    IMGP0051.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMGP0053.jpg
    IMGP0053.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 13
  • IMGP0054.jpg
    IMGP0054.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMGP0055.jpg
    IMGP0055.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 16

bongasaurus

king of the dinosaurs
Veteran
i dont think thats an orchid youve found there. looks more like some kind of trefoil to me

and if it were, you shouldnt go around picking them...

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
Its not an orchid. There being 5 thousand on the ground should be the first clue. Wild orchids are very delicate/fragile and shouldn't be collected by hobbyists. Probably protected.

Last edited:
Its not an orchid. There being 5 thousand on the ground should be the first clue. Wild orchids are very delicate/fragile and shouldn't be collected by hobbyists. Probably protected.

I don't know anything about orchids why would that tip me off?

The flower looks like orchid flowers I see at the home depot/ grocery store, That's what tipped me off.

Anyways, since its most likely a "trefoil", should I keep looking into it since it's only in this one spot or are they common enough that they're all over the country?

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
I'm sorry bout that GH, the second sentence should say would instead of should. Yes it does look alot like an orchid. the orchids I'm familiar with have their thick leathery leaves at the base and send up a long branch/shoot when it blooms with only the cluster of flowers on it. There may be other forms but I have never seen them. It's a beautiful plant. I don't know much about "trefoil" so I can't speak on its rarity. I'd love to see a pic of where you found it, It sounds like a beautiful spot.:ying:

Hazy Lady

Prom Night Dumpster Baby
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Did you find these near a river?, when i was young the boys would collect these and try and get us to touch them!, they have seed pods that explode at a touch sending seed everywhere and the boys would run off laughing, well, you know how easy it is to amuse a young boy, English river banks are full of them if it is the same?.
Edit, it is called Himalayan balsam, sorry not an orchid...http://images.google.com/images?pws...&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4

Did you find these near a river?, when i was young the boys would collect these and try and get us to touch them!, they have seed pods that explode at a touch sending seed everywhere and the boys would run off laughing, well, you know how easy it is to amuse a young boy, English river banks are full of them if it is the same?.
Edit, it is called Himalayan balsam, sorry not an orchid...http://images.google.com/images?pws...&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4

YOU FOUND IT!!!!! That's the one!

It's at the bottom of a quarry, surrounded by rasberries and sheer cliffs.

I'll take a picture for you guys tomorrow if I can remember, it's not a far walk from my house.

edit: I'm going to take one of those seed pods and grow these!!

M

mrcoco

hello Geneticheirloom
i seen those before when i did a trip to sweden,i analyzed them a little ,i saw white to
some stems, if you rubb them ,,,they smell really bad,but there also some phenos that doesnt smell bad at all,
quite nice orchids

Latest posts

Latest posts