What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Headfortrinity's 2009 Greenhouse Hydro Veggies

H

headfortrinity

Hello Icmagers, I'm Headfortrinity here to share my year round gardening project with you all. I welcome any and all comments and suggestions.

Here's the background, I built this lean to style greenhouse last fall and have been growing veggies in it all winter. The greenhouse is 10'Lx5'Wx9'H and is built so I can expand it when the time is right. I built it out of lumber that I had laying around and covered it in a double layer of plastic which I will swap out for pvc panels when I can afford to. I built my own tables out of PVC piping and built a couple of trays out of wood then lined with plastic to be used as perlite drip or E/F. Also made two NFT systems out of pvc pipe for herbs and lettuce and I put a few of my DWC buckets in there just for kicks. I also started all of our tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, and basil in there for the outdoor garden.
The varieties of tomatoes include: Tropic, Stupice, Black Krim, Sweet cluster, and Mini charm. The basil is a dwarf fine leaf basil which I got two different phenotypes out of.

Here's some pics of the veggies I have going right now. Here's a link to the full size images in my album Greenhouse Veggies
e0c55bc83a3ff2ca44da28561054c9ac_90735.jpg
5d1e02829084a5c34d49a7a666b82bcc_90734.jpg
075486a7619ceb9d4ea5b1b83263f23c_90736.jpg
0db40f6152d1ab966116942d507cb999_90737.jpg

Thanks for checking out my greenhouse project, I put a lot of work into this and am very happy with the results.

Headfortrinity :joint:

C

CMoon

great work man.il be keeping a watchful eye on your plot

reg cmoon

sero!

the tomatoes look very healthy, and I almost chew my monitor with that basil!

congrats on your greenhouse, wish I have one. I would be sooooo happy

tagged this to see how this goes in the future

cheers :joint:

sero

H

headfortrinity

great work man.il be keeping a watchful eye on your plot

reg cmoon

the tomatoes look very healthy, and I almost chew my monitor with that basil!

congrats on your greenhouse, wish I have one. I would be sooooo happy

tagged this to see how this goes in the future

cheers

Thanks guys!
I'm very proud of how this first batch of plants are turning out. And I have big plans for the future including some ginger root, valerian root and hopefully by next year a few bud plants!

If anyone has suggestions on what to grow next, most any plant and method including: hydro, soil or soilless mix you want to see I'll give it a shot. I'm thinking maybe a banana or pineapple plant.

headfortrinity :joint:

sero!

If anyone has suggestions on what to grow next, most any plant and method including: hydro, soil or soilless mix you want to see I'll give it a shot. I'm thinking maybe a banana or pineapple plant.

headfortrinity :joint:

i would definitely love seeing a pineapple grow, or pepper maybe, never grew pepper...

H

headfortrinity

i would definitely love seeing a pineapple grow, or pepper maybe, never grew pepper...
Pepper would be cool, I wonder if plain peppercorns would sprout? I'll give it a try.
Have you heard of kava kava, it's a relative to the pepper family, has an edible root with very sedating effects. I'd love to get a fresh root of that.

Finally an update, my camera crapped out so I borrowed one.
The tomatoes have been plentiful and the basil is going to seed.
I made cuttings from my favorite plants and they are rooting nicely, Those will be my mothers for the fall-winter crop. Cuttings are so much quicker and easier than seeds it's ridiculous. Here are some pics of the tomatoes, I'm pretty happy how they turned out being this is the first run in my greenhouse. The bucket tomatoes are out of control they would easily take over if I didn't cut them back. The perlite drip setup is doing nicely, next run I'll place them closer to the ground so they have more vertical room.
Thanks for stoppin by :wave:

H

headfortrinity

Looks cool and like a lot of fun, good luck with it.
H

Thanks Haps :wave:

I just got the go ahead to grow a few bud plants in the greenhouse so I'll start a thread soon when I get it started.
I'm trying to decide what to grow if you have any suggestions here is my planning thread.
Help me decide what to grow

sero!

i don´t have a clue about pepper, but i´ll do some research. all my meals have pepper over them, really love it!

hope to see those pepper plants growin madly soon!

H

headfortrinity

Fall Update 2009

Fall Update 2009

I've got some cuttings from my last crop that I planted in a soil mix this time. Only six plants for the fall crop so they'll have plenty of light and air. Got some fine leaf basil cuttings in pots but I forgot to take pics of them.
A group shot
picture.php

A nice roma tomato
picture.php

thanks for watching :joint:

H

headfortrinity

Update

Update

got an update,

The tomatoes were nuked with open sesame on accident, they are recovering nicely. basil looks good. Planning to start some seeds for winter, not sure what to start though too many options.

Tomatoes

picture.php

Basil

picture.php

Thanks for watching :wave:

H

headfortrinity

Update...

The tomatoes are recovering nicely from the accidental o d. Basil looks nice and the ginger is finally recovering from it's o d a month or so ago. I really have to be more careful what ferts I put on what plants, tomatoes and ginger don't like FF solubles. Gave them a spray of rhizotonic today. Some pics.

Basil from cutting of last years crop
picture.php

picture.php

thanks for watching :wave:

H

headfortrinity

Update

Update

I started some cuttings from my garden to winter, that's about it this time of year.

In a month I'll be starting next years tomatoes and peppers! Stay tuned :wave:

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
man that basil looks real nice. I just moved basil into my little greenhouse last weekend and it's made my gh smell so nice. Great work!

H

headfortrinity

man that basil looks real nice. I just moved basil into my little greenhouse last weekend and it's made my gh smell so nice. Great work!

Thanks dubwise, That's a cutting from last fall's planting. Seeds take too long so I do cuttings from my favorite plants. I like the dwarf globe basil, that's what you see in my pics. Spicy scented basil seems to deter some bugs too.

thanks for watching :wave: