What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Who's made glycerine tincture?

punx777

I'm thinkin about taking the trimmings off of 3 lowryder ak plants and soakin them in glycerine for a couple months.... Do i just, squeeze the thc soaked glycerine out of the leaves with a coffee filter? what do you guys reccomend?

Usually resin is put into your glycerin then, agitated, heated, then separated..I guess you could use water, to separate and evaporate...........soak buds in the glycerin, I would use a little heat, or a long time.....then take the buds out with a metal mesh coffee filter, and probably rinse some.......well what do I know?

Honestly, use some brandy; dry your buds, powder them; rest in an ethanol, brandy or Cognac, then filter when complete.......with a metal filter, coffee filters that are paper suck....unless you have a vaccum pump.

A ml or three will do you fine, so take into consideration how much you use. If you use olive oil or glycerin, I would want to eat whatever is left....the buds or powdered plant material/resin..........butter gets most of it eat'n up, but man with sticky "solvents" it can be sad not having a lot to work with and having things remain. Waste not want not.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm thinkin about taking the trimmings off of 3 lowryder ak plants and soakin them in glycerine for a couple months.... Do i just, squeeze the thc soaked glycerine out of the leaves with a coffee filter? what do you guys reccomend?

I use a hydraulic tincture press to press out the tincture.

Here are some thoughts on processing that I wrote for another forum:

Cold Tincture vis a vis Hot Tincture

What exactly are the differences between glycerin processed cold for extended periods of time and hot glycerin that can be pumped out in matters of hours? Both can be potent and both are tasty, but there are subtle taste differences.

To me it is that the cold tincture retains the subtle nuances of the plant pureens and flavoids individually, while hot process lumps them all together.

If you don’t have the luxury of time, properly made hot glycerin is still damn tasty and the subtleties between the two didn’t stop all the hot glycerin that I have turned out from disappearing to eager patients who thought it was tasty, as fast as I could make it.

On the other hand I keep one of Southpaww’s 120 day cold process samples around for people to try, just to starkly point out the differences. In fact, with all the different strains and techniques, I think there is probably room for a glycerin tasting following, just like there is for wine.

When you need the product in your patient’s hand however, I have a hard time seeing the taste differences being worth the patient suffering for 60 days without medication to achieve it, so why not either as the situation demands?

Preprocessing

Both wood and water affect the final taste of the tincture. I make hot process glycerin tincture by first putting the material in a 200F oven and drying it until it is exactly friable, as determined by rolling it between my fingers, and then pulverizing it and getting the wood out by passing it through a pasta strainer.

If I am not going to do any subsequent hot processing that will decarboxylate the material to make it orally active, I leave it in the oven once it is friable approximately 20 more minutes. I use my nose to tell whether the material is getting too hot.

If I am going to hot process it later anyway, I do not pre decarboxylate because time at temperature also turns THC into CBNs and I try to minimize that.

Accelerating Cold Process

While cold process glycerin tincture is routinely accelerated by tumbling, about the same density of cold extraction can be achieved in a week that typically takes 60 days tumbling, by using the higher shear energy of vibration.

Three ½ pint jars of cold material wrapped in newspaper and stuffed in a RCBS shell casing polisher and vibrated off and on for a week will be about as densely infused as a 60 day tumble processed jar of the same material.

Hot Process

I have made hot glycerin tincture several different ways, starting with filling a pint fruit jar 2/3rds full of pulverized material and then topping off with glycerin while stirring until it reaches stasis with about ½” extra glycerin topping the material.

I place the jar in a 230F oil bath and stir it regularly until the glycerin reaches 160F at which time I drop the temperature of the oil to hold the 160F and cook it at that temperature for thirty minutes. I then remove it from the oil, wipe it off and then cap it.

For the next six days I do hot cycling to create a pumping action. I do this by removing the lid from the jar and placing it 230F oil. I stir it regularly until the glycerin reaches 160F and then I take it out of the oil, wipe it off, cap it, and let it cool.

After the sixth (total of 7) hot cycles, I press the glycerin by putting it in a bag and using a press to squeeze out the material. I have pushed the seven cycles and done them all in three days without noticeable degradation in the quality of the tincture.

Subsequent Presses

I put the pucks from the pressing back in the jars and again add glycerin while bringing the contents up to 160F again in the hot oil. I repeat the above steps and usually get at least three dense presses out of a load of material.

I have also taken donated material that others have used to make glycerin tincture and gotten a couple more dense presses from it. It appears that a single cycle does not come close to adequately removing all the available medication.

Bumping Up Potency

I created my most potent glycerin tincture using plant material, by vibrating hot cycled material, but potency can also be increased by starting with hash or kief.

I have gotten my best results by direct infusion putting the hash or kief directly in the menstruum oil and cooking at 160F for a couple of hours while stirring regularly. It makes a damn tasty tincture of light color and good potency.

Since it doesn’t have as much plant material in it as when extracted directly from plant matter, the color shades are not as good indicator of their potency.

I experimented some with maximizing glycerin tincture potency using hash or kief like I did with the oils, but haven’t made as much progress as with the oils.

I have tried extracting the cannabis from both plant material and hash or kief, using alcohol, butane, or hexane and then re-infusing it into glycerin with uniformly unsatisfactory results. While it makes a potent tincture, the material that the above solvents dissolve are not exactly the same as will dissolve into glycerin, so there is always flocculation, which is hard to remove from glycerin and detracts from the flavor.

Flavoring Glycerin

Despite being tasty as is, of course I had to try to improve upon the flavor of the glycerin tincture. My best results were obtained by cooking down dried cherry and blue berry fruit in Everclear with sweet ginger and clove oil. I cooked and pulverized the material until all the alcohol cooked off and then set it aside to use as a concentrate for flavoring oils and glycerin. Did not work well at all on oils, but works super well for adding flavor to previously infused glycerin.

I just cook the glycerin with a dollop of the concentrate in it at 160F for thirty minutes and strain out the fruit, which I eat on the spot, but it could be saved for baking. The glycerin and the concentrate marry beautifully, making a delicious end product.

JD

punx777

Yea, i was just gunna turn it every day, maby put it on top of my HID so it gets warm, idk.. just tryin to keep it simple :p

osirica420

Make quick 10 second ISO or preferably Enthanol extraction evaporate then dissolve the oil into the glycerin..

After you mix the two in a small bottle heat the outside of it with hot ass water so it mixes well..

Should definitetly do the job well...

Momerath

Thanks for all the info Gray Wolf! I found it most helpful and interesting. I'm going to be trying both methods at the end of this season, as I have many ideas for the use of the medicinal glycerin. Sodas, candies, you name it! :smile:

AtomicBetty

So interesting!

I have made glycerine tincture with trimmings and glycerine, but I've just used a 3 month steeping/shaking method.

It's been excellent medicine for headaches, monthly cramps and the like. I'm curious about the heat extraction, but I've never had a problem with potency, even without.

:joint:
ab.

mellomel

BE GOOD OR BE GOOD AT IT!
ICMag Donor
Sounds good. I suffer from migraines pretty bad and not 2 mention our monthly friend thats a pain in the belly. I will definetely give this glycerine tinture a go. Although some strains of mary cure migraines for me too.:wallbash:

mellomel

ICMag Donor
clove oil?

clove oil?

I use a hydraulic tincture press to press out the tincture.

Here are some thoughts on processing that I wrote for another forum:

Cold Tincture vis a vis Hot Tincture

What exactly are the differences between glycerin processed cold for extended periods of time and hot glycerin that can be pumped out in matters of hours? Both can be potent and both are tasty, but there are subtle taste differences.

To me it is that the cold tincture retains the subtle nuances of the plant pureens and flavoids individually, while hot process lumps them all together.

If you don’t have the luxury of time, properly made hot glycerin is still damn tasty and the subtleties between the two didn’t stop all the hot glycerin that I have turned out from disappearing to eager patients who thought it was tasty, as fast as I could make it.

On the other hand I keep one of Southpaww’s 120 day cold process samples around for people to try, just to starkly point out the differences. In fact, with all the different strains and techniques, I think there is probably room for a glycerin tasting following, just like there is for wine.

When you need the product in your patient’s hand however, I have a hard time seeing the taste differences being worth the patient suffering for 60 days without medication to achieve it, so why not either as the situation demands?

Preprocessing

Both wood and water affect the final taste of the tincture. I make hot process glycerin tincture by first putting the material in a 200F oven and drying it until it is exactly friable, as determined by rolling it between my fingers, and then pulverizing it and getting the wood out by passing it through a pasta strainer.

If I am not going to do any subsequent hot processing that will decarboxylate the material to make it orally active, I leave it in the oven once it is friable approximately 20 more minutes. I use my nose to tell whether the material is getting too hot.

If I am going to hot process it later anyway, I do not pre decarboxylate because time at temperature also turns THC into CBNs and I try to minimize that.

Accelerating Cold Process

While cold process glycerin tincture is routinely accelerated by tumbling, about the same density of cold extraction can be achieved in a week that typically takes 60 days tumbling, by using the higher shear energy of vibration.

Three ½ pint jars of cold material wrapped in newspaper and stuffed in a RCBS shell casing polisher and vibrated off and on for a week will be about as densely infused as a 60 day tumble processed jar of the same material.

Hot Process

I have made hot glycerin tincture several different ways, starting with filling a pint fruit jar 2/3rds full of pulverized material and then topping off with glycerin while stirring until it reaches stasis with about ½” extra glycerin topping the material.

I place the jar in a 230F oil bath and stir it regularly until the glycerin reaches 160F at which time I drop the temperature of the oil to hold the 160F and cook it at that temperature for thirty minutes. I then remove it from the oil, wipe it off and then cap it.

For the next six days I do hot cycling to create a pumping action. I do this by removing the lid from the jar and placing it 230F oil. I stir it regularly until the glycerin reaches 160F and then I take it out of the oil, wipe it off, cap it, and let it cool.

After the sixth (total of 7) hot cycles, I press the glycerin by putting it in a bag and using a press to squeeze out the material. I have pushed the seven cycles and done them all in three days without noticeable degradation in the quality of the tincture.

Subsequent Presses

I put the pucks from the pressing back in the jars and again add glycerin while bringing the contents up to 160F again in the hot oil. I repeat the above steps and usually get at least three dense presses out of a load of material.

I have also taken donated material that others have used to make glycerin tincture and gotten a couple more dense presses from it. It appears that a single cycle does not come close to adequately removing all the available medication.

Bumping Up Potency

I created my most potent glycerin tincture using plant material, by vibrating hot cycled material, but potency can also be increased by starting with hash or kief.

I have gotten my best results by direct infusion putting the hash or kief directly in the menstruum oil and cooking at 160F for a couple of hours while stirring regularly. It makes a damn tasty tincture of light color and good potency.

Since it doesn’t have as much plant material in it as when extracted directly from plant matter, the color shades are not as good indicator of their potency.

I experimented some with maximizing glycerin tincture potency using hash or kief like I did with the oils, but haven’t made as much progress as with the oils.

I have tried extracting the cannabis from both plant material and hash or kief, using alcohol, butane, or hexane and then re-infusing it into glycerin with uniformly unsatisfactory results. While it makes a potent tincture, the material that the above solvents dissolve are not exactly the same as will dissolve into glycerin, so there is always flocculation, which is hard to remove from glycerin and detracts from the flavor.

Flavoring Glycerin

Despite being tasty as is, of course I had to try to improve upon the flavor of the glycerin tincture. My best results were obtained by cooking down dried cherry and blue berry fruit in Everclear with sweet ginger and clove oil. I cooked and pulverized the material until all the alcohol cooked off and then set it aside to use as a concentrate for flavoring oils and glycerin. Did not work well at all on oils, but works super well for adding flavor to previously infused glycerin.

I just cook the glycerin with a dollop of the concentrate in it at 160F for thirty minutes and strain out the fruit, which I eat on the spot, but it could be saved for baking. The glycerin and the concentrate marry beautifully, making a delicious end product.

JD
Hey greywolf, just a quick q about the flavourings. I am not a fan of clove oil. Can you taste it or does it blend well in with the other flavours? Or i suppose u could just leave it out? Cheers for the good info though.:joint:

I was interested in making a tincure myself. I was curious, how is the high? im not trying to use it for pain, just wanna get really high. Is it the same effect as smoking/vaping??

mellomel

ICMag Donor
Thats what I want 2 know 2. I am sick of the tar you get with pipes. I don't think u can smoke it or vaporise. I think it is only edible. But it is suppose 2 b like candy syrup I think. This is just what I am going by with the info in this post. I am going to attempt the hot oil bath method. It seems the easiest to me. May take 3 days waiting, but thats what the pipe is for. lol :joint::yeahthats

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey greywolf, just a quick q about the flavourings. I am not a fan of clove oil. Can you taste it or does it blend well in with the other flavours? Or i suppose u could just leave it out? Cheers for the good info though.:joint:

A drop of clove oil goes a long way. Slightly too much overpowers pretty much anything for me too, but just enough is delightful.

If you find it objectionable, I would just leave it out. It is still tasty.

GW

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was interested in making a tincure myself. I was curious, how is the high? im not trying to use it for pain, just wanna get really high. Is it the same effect as smoking/vaping??

I am a MMJ patient who no longer gets high because of tolerance, but none of the people testing my glycerin concoctions reported anything other than a mild euphoric sense of well being, accompanied by mostly body effect. At mild OD they couchlocked. That is mostly how it affects me too.

If you are looking for upper end, the med I produce that gets the most reports of head effect from the test group is smoking or vaporizing a BHO extraction.

That is even hit or miss because one person won't blink and the next person in line will stop in mid sentence to say, "Oh, wow", and stand there slack jawed staring into space smiling and drooling. The other best one line response was, "Holy shit,............."!

I notice the lights brightening and the colors spectrum shift slightly, and at mild OD it makes me grind my teeth. I watched a seriously unpleasant OD ingested, instead of smoked however, that put the person on the floor for the next 12 hours begging that they not be moved.

If you will obstain using MJ for a few days before your attempt at the ultimate high, it will help by lowering your tolerance.

Be extremely careful ingesting to get high, because while it is difficult to seriously OD smoking, when you eat it, it is a whole different story and while I know of no deaths resulting from it, you will never forget the experience.

GW

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
TI don't think u can smoke it or vaporise. I think it is only edible. But it is suppose 2 b like candy syrup I think. This is just what I am going by with the info in this post.

Glycerin is a sugar alcohol that tastes ~about 60% as sweet as sucrose and has about the same food value. Due to its more complex chain, it breaks down slower in the digestion system and some diabetics can tolerate it while they can’t sugar.

Infused, it tastes like wild honey to me, with the subtleties and nuances of the different strains pureens acting like different wild flower pollens. I could see it easily developing a following similar to fine wines.

The hot process blends all those nuances sort of like a tasty soup, while the cold process leaves them more or less intact, so that you can pick up on their individual nuances.

GW

Thanks for the great info, i think i might experiment with a smaller batch. I was thinking of making it in a smaller half pint mason jar as opposed to the quart size for a test run.
thanks again GW, peace

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the great info, i think i might experiment with a smaller batch. I was thinking of making it in a smaller half pint mason jar as opposed to the quart size for a test run.
thanks again GW, peace

Good idea! I did all my initial glycerin experiments in half pint fruit jars. It lets you run more different technique and reduces your loss when you screw up.

GW

msc008

In in the Medical Marijuana Handbook it talks about using heat in the extracton process to increase potency. Supposedly a THC analog called THCA is only activated by heat.

I've only made alcohol based tinctures. 2 grams of bubble hash to 20ml of 98% alcohol. Then agitate and let sit over a month or more.

5-6 drops under the tongue is the dose I recommend to people. 5-6 more if it doesn't work. If you do more than that it makes the underside of your mouth numb.

I would not recommend tincture for recreational purposes. It's too much work to make and tincture gives more of a body feeling than head feeling. It can also be used topically, so if you have arthritis pain for instance you can drop tincture right on the joint that is bothering you.

I've never seen an OD, I don't let people take that much. One time I did put a bottle in my pocket without the lid screwed on tight though. I was wondering why I felt my balance was off and why I thought everything was so funny. When I went to get it out of my pocket I realized it had all absorbed through my leg.

I think all the principles of alcohol based tincture apply to glycerin based tincture.

mellomel

ICMag Donor
A drop of clove oil goes a long way. Slightly too much overpowers pretty much anything for me too, but just enough is delightful.

If you find it objectionable, I would just leave it out. It is still tasty.

GW
:respect:Cheers for the fantastic info GW, I think I will just leave the clove oil. I have had 1 too many toothaches which the doc usually provides an oral liquid which is mainly clove oil. The smell alone sets me off.
If it tastes anything like wild honey, well, YUMMY.
Thankyou for telling me about its medical properties, that info will definetely come in handy for my Husband, who has severe multiple back problems. I Have been on the search for something more natural. But something that is strong enough too work aswell. He has been to nervous to try anything the doc suggest because it's all dangerously addictive.
I tried to leave u rep, but can't for 24 hrs. You can b sure I won't forget.
Cheers for ya help. Peace:joint:mm.

BubsNugs

is there benifits to this over doing a alchol extraction aka green dragon?
Im on some green dragon as we speak and this is definatly doin the trick.

Peace

PS i definatly want to do some further experiments with this as well as with butter n also olive oil

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
is there benifits to this over doing a alchol extraction aka green dragon?
Im on some green dragon as we speak and this is definatly doin the trick.

Peace

PS i definatly want to do some further experiments with this as well as with butter n also olive oil

They both work. The two processes extract different things and the glycerin sure tastes better,

Also some people prefer not to use alcohol for various reasons.

GW

Latest posts

Latest posts