What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The CannaBunker Begins

AOD2012

I have the key, now i need to find the lock..
Veteran
oh man that looks so awesome, you are the man, can not wait till i have some property and i can do that myself.

headiez247

shut the fuck up Donny
Veteran
oooooooooooooh man. So jealous. Please keep updating us lol. This is gonna be one of those threads I go OCD on.

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
Tagged, jealous for sure of this bunker and it's not even built... I'm guessing you didn't get a permit...lol

Rowdy420

WAHOO!, I plan on building a garage with ICF forms and have a bunker too. Definitely keep the pictures coming, love this idea!

CannaBunkerMan

Enormous Member
Veteran

Tagged, jealous for sure of this bunker and it's not even built... I'm guessing you didn't get a permit...lol

No permit, although I considered it. Actually, these pictures are from 2 years ago.

The good news? It's functionally complete. The bad news? I'll never be done.

Does anyone know if you can get your picture limit increased? I have a billion pictures documenting the build.

That big hole in the last picture, that's getting a little ahead of myself. I dug the main hole in the spring of '09, but I had already put in a solid winter digging the secondary exit/ventilation/ballast room before that. Some of the pictures from this step are confusing, since there aren't any reference points.

I build a virtual model of my house in sketchup to help in the building process. Actually, I owe the exactness of the final building dimensions almost completely to sketchup. It's a great free cad tool. I took some screen grabs to illustrate what I'm talking about.

I've left out the main part of my house so it can't be identified.

More pictures coming, as soon as I resize everything.

Tonatiuh

its me Dave man open up the door...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
beautiful yo,i think my pants just got tighter :jerkit:
tagged up no doubt...
keep them pics rollin.
peace-T-

CannaBunkerMan

Enormous Member
Veteran
It doesn't look like these are quite in order, so I'll just explain each set of five pictures as I go.

The 1st picture is of the bunker area before doing any digging. For reference, the secondary entrance is behind, and underneath the photographer.

The first order of business was to sure up the foundation that I was going to undermine with this secondary entrance. I wanted to have two exits in case I need more than one. The primary entrance will be behind the bulkhead leading into the basement, but that's still a long way off.

The secondary entrance will be a concrete stairwell decending into the bunker, going under the foundation footer of the crawl space below the front door to my house, ala the two cad images. The crawl space is about 12'x12'x5'.

I poured another footer underneath the existing footer with two laly columns and a support beam to hold up the house. I wanted to do all of this before any of the major digging so that everything would be sured up before I removed all of the dirt against the house's foundation.

After the new footer and support beams were in place, I started to pour the steps. Each step is framed and poured indivually, building the walls up with the steps. I decided to keep all of the back fill in the crawl space, and burry the steps as they were built to save space. Holy pain in the ass, batman! I used the poly trash bags, and support beams to avoid a collapse.

After the main excavation, I had planned to remove the earth displaced by the stairwell by pushing it into the bunker area at the bottom of the new stairs, to let the excavator remove it. However, that was still a few months away.

I'm sorry about all of the tense mismatches, since I'm talking about something I've already done as if it were being done now and in the future. Eh, whatever McFly.

CannaBunkerMan

Enormous Member
Veteran
This first image is the divider that's keeping a dump truck's worth of dirt from caving in on me. It's also sideways, with the top to the left.

The last image is of a freshly hardened step, with the stairwell wall being placed on top. Each step is 1'x1'x5', for a total of eight steps.

The level in the 3rd picture is 4', for scale.

CannaBunkerMan

Enormous Member
Veteran
The first image is from the bottom, looking up at the crawl space ceiling, 14' above. The bottom of the new footer is 8' below the original footer. That was a little tense, hanging upside down, pouring concrete mixed in a trash bag into the form. AWESOME!

Hey, check it out! Roots in image #2. I'm almost home free! (No where near home free).

I packed grout inbetween the original house's footer(last image), and the support beam, so there was nice even weight distribution.

CannaBunkerMan

Enormous Member
Veteran
I used rebar to tie everything in. I also filled all of the hollow core blocks for added strength. The last picture is of the stairwell covered over with plywood and a few inches of sand. I left it like this for a few months until the ground thawed. The leaves on the trees block any prying eyes.

Pure privacy, here I come. I mean, here we come.

Latest posts

Latest posts