What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

RDWC w/ Chiller vs Bubbler, Why is bubbler (apparently) winning?

Takeshy

Hello!

I am currently running 2 grow tents at the moment:
  • one RDWC System with Chiller (water temperature: 19-20ºC):
lk4gSnP.jpg

• and one DWC Bubbler System (water temperature: 27-28ºC):
PwH0gZ8.jpg

The interesting is that the bubblers actually have a better root system so far:
  • RDWC System with Chiller:
00FoKxo.jpg

• DWC Bubbler System:
atrAxNH.jpg

Both tents have the same ambient temperatures (they are in the same room), have the same nutrient feeding, same strain, same water level (distance from netpot) and same light.
They also have the same air pump but the RDWC system should have more oxygenation in the water.

The only variables I see in both systems is water volume, temperature, and oxygenation. Everything else is basically the same.

Why is the bubbler (apparently) winning?

Takeshy

Sorry for the double post, couldn't edit the first one :/

Hello!

I am currently running 2 grow tents at the moment:
  • one RDWC System with Chiller (water temperature: 19-20ºC):
lk4gSnP.jpg

• and one DWC Bubbler System (water temperature: 27-28ºC):
PwH0gZ8.jpg

The interesting is that the bubblers actually have a better root system so far:
  • RDWC System with Chiller:
00FoKxo.jpg

• DWC Bubbler System:
atrAxNH.jpg

Both tents have the same ambient temperatures (they are in the same room), have the same nutrient feeding, same strain, same water level (distance from netpot) and same light.
They also have the same air pump but the RDWC system should have more oxygenation in the water.

The only variables I see in both systems is water volume, temperature, and oxygenation. Everything else is basically the same.

Why is the bubbler (apparently) winning?

Freet

If there's enough oxygen at the higher temps, the plants will grow faster.. Biggest drawback is that the higher temps are also very inviting to any type of slime and rot. Things just go wrong faster at higher temps.. There are no winners yet.. Wait a month..

Mengsk

I am curious too. RDWC with bubbler or chiller seems to grow great plants. If popular hydro systems were ranked this kind of system grows among the largest (single) plants, yes?

To set something up or purchase one, I'm curious. All the buckets, recirculating pump, chiller and/or air pump, seems like a decent amount to set up. If you find it works better without the chiller that would be interesting.

But I agree that there is no winner yet. Your setups are not identical (different temperature) so that itself could be a reason for faster growth. If I grow during the winter on a concrete floor with the lights on during night hours, it's possible I might get away without a chiller (maybe too cold). You can also try wrapping the buckets with some insulation like reflective bubble wrap. There are similar principles here for other things - like if it is too hot where you live then a larger exhaust fan for your grow tent is all but necessary. Or if it is cold where you live then air cooled hoods or heat-efficient equipment are not necessary. But, as others have mentioned, warmer res temps could invite root rot and slime in which case it's all over, even if the plants were growing faster to begin with. I am under the impression that your 'chilled' temp (19-20 C) is better, at least from what I've read.

Good point about the white plastic - I think what they mean is white can sometimes let light through instead of black or with a black liner inside.

tiffa

Temps don't mean a thing up to about 80F if you can keep your water O2 saturated.

If that true Sir, you may have just put my mind to rest!...I've got warm water in my blumat rez (can't be assed with a chiller) and been worrying about DO - Maybe I was worrying to much, brilliant thanks :dance013:

Loe Grozza

If pic of chiller tent and bubbler tent were taken during lights on looks to me like the tent with black bubble buckets is way brighter maybe response to higher light level ? -nice grows btw