What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chocolate Cheese test run HLG 550 v2

OZZ_

Veteran
What up IC. Hope you’re all well. A few years have past as I’ve been traveling all over the world, but now I’m in a new city and ready to dial in my setup so I broke out my gear.

It’s a smallish setup, a 3’x3’ DR90II; I’ve always ran a 600w HPS in there with a very simple organic soil.

However, due to the improvements in LED lighting I just bought a HLG 550 V2 quantum board and am going to give it a whirl in my 3x3. I’ll probably need to dial it down as it’s probably a bit much for a 3x3 (or is it? Muahahaha).

Anyway since this is essentially a test run with a new light I’m simply going to run a single feminized freebie in a 5 gallon pot before breaking into my premium genetics and loading the tent up (I don’t buy feminized seeds but in this case it proves useful).

Here’s the deets:

Strain: Eskobars Chocolate Cheese FEM, circa 2011?? 2012? They’ve been in freezer storage for years.

Soil: “OLD” recycled soil. As in ... very old. It sat in Rubbermaid containers for two-three years in a storage unit while I was traveling.

Light: HLG 550v2 QB

Nutes: Epsoma Tomato tone, Neptune’s fish/seaweed for touch up. K.I.S.S.

Here’s the caveat: I have three unknown variables that are different than the way I typically do things which may, or may not cause me problems.

1) The soil. It’s old as shit, recycled, and I don’t remember how hot or depleted it was after the last usage. I just added 2000 red wigglers to my worm bin to re-establish it but for this run the bin was not setup so I did not have worm castings to add to the soil. Instead, I simply scraped the equally old, super dried worm castings out of the old bin and added it to the soil. Certainly there’s little to no microbes living in it, and It was t even completely turned into castings either. It resembled soil more than castings but I threw it in anyway as it’s what I have on hand. Originally the soil is a promix HP base, with probably 10% of the old,dried, incomplete worm bin dirt/castings added. 1/2 cup tomato tone was added to the 5 gallon container. That’s it ��

2) I planted the seed directly into the 5 gallon container rather putting her in a smaller container to transplant up later. I just put the seed in soil and watered it. For this reason, with the unknown soil.... it’s possible It might burn the seedling if the soil is too nutrient rich. Yes, I’m being a bit lazy ... alas K.I.S.S.

3) The water. I’m in a new city with new water. I google searched the city water test results and it’s a large city so some variation depending on the source location but overall we are looking at a PH of 7.8-8 and a TDS of around 140. So relatively hard. All I’ll do is bubble it a bit to remove chlorine, other than that it’s going to get used as is. (Notice a theme? K.I.S.S!).

The seedling popped yesterday (the 22nd), but the seed shell was stuck so I had to operate on her and may have done a bit of damage.

So that’s the dilly. Old seed, old dirt, with a wee bit of super old, incomplete castings.

Let’s see how she does shall we!? I’ll get a seedling pic posted tonight to make it official.

Attachments

• B2E96F87-0546-45EA-8C39-99E2AC1D419A.jpg
    B2E96F87-0546-45EA-8C39-99E2AC1D419A.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 24
  • CF83AB95-053B-475F-968B-5A0A3AD85DAD.jpg
    CF83AB95-053B-475F-968B-5A0A3AD85DAD.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

OZZ_

Veteran
Welcome Blackone, thanks for stopping by. The seedling I pulled the shell off of hasn’t opened its cotyledons yet and is acting weird just kind of stalling. Maybe I damaged it.

So I threw another one in some wet paper towels. Give me a few days I’ll update once I have a healthy seedling above ground. ��

Last edited:

OZZ_

Veteran
Welcome scarafino, I have no idea as I have not used any LEDs before, but people also told be a 600w hps was to much for a 3’x3’ tent too and I had fantastic results with it in there. We will see how things go!

Blazeee

Veteran
Ive smoked the chocolate cheese a few years back and enjoyed her, sounds like a good choice of seeds to pop.

Im also interested to see how the quantum board preforms for you, so i will make sure to take a seat and sub up.

OZZ_

Veteran
Blaze.... great to hear a smoke report on her. Thanks for subbing in!

Koondense.... your absolutely right, however the seedling wasn’t above ground yet. The light was lowered solely to keep the surface temp of the soil around 80 degrees. As soon as I saw some dirt lifting I raised the light appropriately. Good eye though! That is a 2’x4 bulb T5. I’ll use that to start her off.

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
Just finishing the first run with the hlg550 and it did well. Had some stretchers get up real close and let them be a few inches from the light with very little damage, just the tip. Other plants were 30 inches away and developed well. I have 2 in the other room about 5 weeks all the same clone so the canopy is more consistent between 8-24” and they are showing off. Certainly equal to the de 630s that light the other half. Looking forward to see how your chocolate grows, best of luck!

OZZ_

Veteran
Itsmychoice.... great info!! Thanks a million that helps me immensely, so what distance would you recommend from the canopy? Maybe 18”?? 24”??

Judging from your description sounds like 18” is a good bet?

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
I put my net at 30” under the lights with hopes of the tops being 10” over the net so yeah 20” from the lights. That was the goal but the big ones got a little close and the side branches were a little short but we will see.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=355655

Attachments

• 6FB5E88F-74E8-495C-97C8-C3C7D75E84DE.jpeg
    6FB5E88F-74E8-495C-97C8-C3C7D75E84DE.jpeg
    107.1 KB · Views: 26

OZZ_

Veteran
Welcome Oakyjoe, glad to have you aboard.

Itsmychoice, how is the heat? I currently use a 424cfm fan with 6” duct for cooling the 600w hps through the blockbuster hood. It would be rad if I could drop down to a 4” fan and 4” ducting with the LED?? Maybe that’s wishful thinking but that’s what I was hoping to be able to do. Lol the 6” fan and duct combo is pretty loud and cumbersome.... dropping Down to a 4” would be awesome. I’m not holding my breath though the unit still pulls 515 watts from the wall so regardless current is current, it will have to be exhausted somehow. We will see.

Last edited:

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
The boards get hot to the touch so I would say keep the 6” and get a speed controller. I have found that thermostatic speed controller for the hyper fans to be hard to beat. Set the temp and it blows as hard as it needs to and you can set a minimum speed to keep the air fresh. A slower blowing 6” will be quieter than a 4”.

OZZ_

Veteran
Good point, I have a manual speed controller but not a thermo one. I’ll keep this in mind.

Just got notification that the HLG550 just showed up, so I’ll be checking it out tonight.

Last edited:

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
The HLG 550 V1 +2 are amazing. I have one of each. I use a 6" clip fan to cool the driver and aluminum and that helps with heat control/airflow. Compared to a 600w HPS it creates very little heat at all.

-Funk

OZZ_

Veteran
Funk... thanks for stopping by! Super excited to give it a run! I’m not exactly sure where to place my scrubber for heat extraction since it’s not like an air cooled hood. Maybe I’ll just use a 6” clip on like you suggest and place the carbon filter at the top of the tent? Not sure if that’s adequate but if heat isn’t as bad then I should be good. Trial and error I suppose.

Attachments

• 0319A446-348D-459A-B874-77D19CB0A38C.jpg
    0319A446-348D-459A-B874-77D19CB0A38C.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 29
  • B2D0CD6E-739E-4121-B637-7CE01D060309.jpg
    B2D0CD6E-739E-4121-B637-7CE01D060309.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 26
  • CEA287C8-3D3E-48B2-A769-DBC3AB5CE628.jpg
    CEA287C8-3D3E-48B2-A769-DBC3AB5CE628.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 24

fatigues

Veteran
Nice light. Space might be a little small for it -- but that's not going to hurt, is it?

Pulling up a chair!

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
I hang the carbon filter with rubber straps or bungee cords from the top support poles of the tent. I have the fan (mixed flow inline) on top of the tent with a short run of ducting. I use two clip fans in the tent. One that moves air between the light and the tops, and the other pointed directly on the top of the HLG 550. Even during the warm and humid months this makes a big difference. No powdery mildew or mold issues and strong stems from proper airflow. Tents kick ass bigtime. Been running them since they first came on the market over a decade ago.

-Funk

Latest posts

Latest posts