What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Simple Scrubber

MadBuddhaAbuser

Kush, Sour Diesel, Puday boys
Veteran
hey haps. Loved this simple but effective setup. I actually stole the idea for my first carbon filter last year. I only adjusted it with smaller main pots((I used something like a pencil tray you get at a dollar store or wal-stores) but stuck with the carbon and filters. But thats because It was being used in a stacked rubbermaid Veg box. It actually worked pretty well for a while, but I think I did not have quite the seal you did, so as the Chemdawg Kushes got bigger, it started stinking. Gonna have to have a go at a new one this year I think. I also had a much smaller fan, and should probably fiddle with that.

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
I had to build several with mixed results, don't be afraid to fail, just figure what is not effective and fix it. My first one looked like a cool spaceship, fell apart the first night, hehe, wasn't funny at the time.
H

Quick and Eazy

Quick and Eazy

Dam man love it quick trip to dollar store and pet shop and good to go :tiphat::thank you:
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
:wave:

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
I got up this morning, time to do the annual refill on the unit. Took it down, tossed out the old carbon and filters and tape, washed the net pots. The dog and I had breakfast while the net pots dried. Then I put it back together with new carbon and filters and reinstalled it. Tested good. I am done for another year.

Two and a half liters of carbon, it will do two rooms, a pound a month, and still be working in a year, as it was this morning.

Tools? I used a knife to cut a couple filter pieces. That's why I call it simple scrubber.

H

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Thanks IS, It is a kick to provide folks a hand that works. HGMan, heat is always a concern with electrical devices, so we make sure we plan not to cause heat beyond the original design factors of the fan. This means channeling the air flow, but not restricting it to me, that is how I understand how to make it work right. Flow through is the ticket with these units.
H

Scottish Research

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I can't believe that I just found this thread. This is keep it simple stoner.... Incredibly easy to make and cheap!

What would we do without our most experienced growers helping us see the way?

Thanks Haps!

Best Regards,

R. Fortune

ambertrich

Veteran
Stumbled on this great thread by accident just at the right time.

Harvest is rapidly approaching and I needed a way to control the odor from the drying plants better than what I have done in the past.

Haps, this is perfect. :good:

And, like you said, it can be customized to anyones particular needs. Just play around a bit till you have what you need.

And I am all for saving a buck or three to be put to buying seed or other supplies I can't make myself. (which are becoming fewer as I read more DIY tips on ICM :biggrin:)
:thank you:

TNTBudSticker

Veteran
Wow...Simple design ,,easy money...750cfm shop fan pulling through that little 10 inch box saves alot of room if one went with pre-made carbon filters.

Great design!

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
I replace the carbon at 12-13 months, it is still working, but will start to fail soon after that, so I change it out between crops. With a kilo of crop, it covers the smell completely, I mean standing right next to the plants I can not smell them. When crop gets close to three pounds, I can smell the plants in the room, but it removes all smell outside the room.

mrcreosote

Veteran
Hehe,
Very cool Haps.

I ordered some 9" pondpots for DIY airpots to match my 5.5 veg pots that I line with fiberglass screen because I use that Napa 8220 oil dri (calcined clay) and it's pretty fine.
I got to thinking Hmmm...9" pot, screen, 7" pot, screen, charcoal, stacked muffin fans...Bingo small drying cabinet filter.
Then I wander in here and see you're doing a huge room with about an inch more charcoal.

Great minds think alike...I will definitely rethink buying a store filter and fan as I only have to scrub a 2x4x8 closet.
Obviously a drying cabinet could be scaled down to a 3.5" and a 4" round net pot and a single muffin just might do it.

Pretty damn impressive you're getting that kind of scrubbing for a big room from a little filter.
You be da man. Excellent post. Thanks for sharing this one.
The idea of building a charcoal filter for my room that will be cheaper than the shipping cost alone of buying one (and that actually works) tickles me.
Half the fun of this hobby so far has been 'Yankee engineering' aspect. Hell, anyone can just go buy stuff. Some of us can't help but listen to that inner mad scientist.

The other half of the fun is when you open those mason jars.

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Getting ready to rebuild my scrubber unit, from this thread, I can see that I did it 50 weeks ago. At 50weeks of use, this unit is still working well enough, but it has stopped cleaning all smell, now I can smell the buds when I am in the room with them, so it is time to replace the carbon.

I made some improvements last year to my grow, now I am yielding close to 3 numbers vs 2+. This unit is still removing the odors, but if I went larger with my grow, I would have to add another unit. For larger grows, I would build multiple units to achieve scalability and so I could service one unit while the others kept scrubbing.

Thanks to all the folks who have tried this and let me know, happy buds!
H

AlaskanSun

Thank you sir! I just built this for my drying cabinet and it's works great. I tried a smaller one but these buds are just too stinky. This works perfect
/salute

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
I ain't posting much these days, but this same system is still working year in and year out, cheap, dependable and effective. Peace and Light to all - Hap

Latest posts

Latest posts