What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best seed company for buying seeds?

Superauto

Who is the best breeder today, have the most important strains and quality seeds?

Where do you buy your seeds, and which seeds do you prefer to buy if you can pick and choose?

Ronni

most famous seed companies have one or a few really good strains where the fame comes from and many not so well known strains. my advice: dont limit yourself to 1 company
research what is the best strain from a certain company e.g. Satori from Mandala Seeds, get it, move on to the next company. There are many really good strains. Good Luck :)

W

Water-

Depends what is "important" to you.

ACE, Cannnabiogen, Real Seed Company for landrace based varities.

CSI Humboldt for great west coast usa varities like Mendocino Purps etc.

PDX Dopesmoker

Gage Green has been killing it with the Cherry Pie Kush crosses lately, but of course what seeds you want to buy depends on what you want to grow.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Do some research....it's opinion and performance. What may work wondrously for one, may not be the same for you. Like Ronni said, try a few and see what performs well in your environment.

Spaventa

Veteran
As said, it depends what your into. You need to find a breeder who's into that too.

The most outstanding results for me in recent years have been from Connoisseur Genetics and Ace.

As said, it depends what your into. You need to find a breeder who's into that too.

The most outstanding results for me in recent years have been from Connoisseur Genetics and Ace.

I'd avoid anything with ACE malawi male in it tho like Golden Tiger, zamaldelica. It gives the weed an edge that is not pleasant IMO. havent tried their other strains but im not impressed with the fact that they breed for vigor and "potency" over quality of high.

to OP, I know I shouldnt but the 'tude is so convenient, full of selection, fast. I generally find myself going there even though its like the walmart of seeds.

thejact55

I would definitely go with doggies nuts Armageddon x Sirius skunk. it was the best 500 bucks ive ever spent on a pack of seeds!!

kidding, don't do that. that's dumb. look on tude or seedsman (they only take mastercard now boo), they have ample selection. find something that strikes your interest, then take hours searching grows and reviews...over and over. these decisions used to take me days to make.
I'm more landrace oriented, as others have said, real seed company, ace, cannabiogen ect. some may bring up ethics, but tropical seeds has given me some nice African plants.
I have enjoyed barneys farm blue chees and amnesia lemon, but their vanilla kush and aucopolco gold suck. greenhouse seeds Hawaiian snow was one of my faves, but I wouldn't support them really. DJ short, TGA (some may say otherwise), sensi, gage, dutch passion, have all been around for a while. honestly I'm not up to date with what is new and cool, so ill stop here. if its not landrace related anymore, I don't know much.

W

Water-

I would definitely go with doggies nuts Armageddon x Sirius skunk. it was the best 500 bucks ive ever spent on a pack of seeds!!

kidding, don't do that. that's dumb. look on tude or seedsman (they only take mastercard now boo), they have ample selection. find something that strikes your interest, then take hours searching grows and reviews...over and over. these decisions used to take me days to make.
I'm more landrace oriented, as others have said, real seed company, ace, cannabiogen ect. some may bring up ethics, but tropical seeds has given me some nice African plants.
I have enjoyed barneys farm blue chees and amnesia lemon, but their vanilla kush and aucopolco gold suck. greenhouse seeds Hawaiian snow was one of my faves, but I wouldn't support them really. DJ short, TGA (some may say otherwise), sensi, gage, dutch passion, have all been around for a while. honestly I'm not up to date with what is new and cool, so ill stop here. if its not landrace related anymore, I don't know much.

Have you tried tropical seeds Zambian strain?

i've been debating that one for awhile since some of the best herb I have ever smoked was in zambia

thejact55

I have the seeds, but havent gotten to em yet. I really like their senegal. Im sure zambian would be pretty good too. Ill let you know in a year or so lol

H

hard rain

I go about this another way.

I think about the type of high I'm after, then I try and find the best varieties that reflects what I want. Then I look to breeders that lots of other people say are good. You can probably narrow down to a few choices. Even then you can get it wrong but you can at least improve your chances.

Even the best breeders will have varieties you like, and some that you don't so much.

Having said that I like Ace. Loved the purple haze, not so much the Malawi. Both went over 18 weeks, the haze about 20.
One of the most memorable plants I have grown in the last 30 years was Soma's NYCD. Over 100 days to flower. Incredible and unique high. I think I just got lucky. Grapefruit with hints of lemon. Wish I still had.

bigbadbiddy

I find it interesting that nobody mentioned the price point of seeds so far (aside from one mention that spending 500 bucks on a 10 pack is ridiculous).

While I would say the price point is definitely an important factor in this...

I researched seedbanks/seedvendors/breeders around 3 years ago and after several conclusions, decided to set myself a price limit per seed.

Now as you will quickly notice doing research yourself, seed prices range MASSIVELY. You can get them for as cheap as 50 cents per seed and can pay up to 50 bucks per seed ...

For myself, I decided that my breaking point is 5 bucks per seed. I never spend more. The only time I came close was when I bought some varieties frome ACE seeds and from Karma. Both times, through bulk purchase or some sale or another, I ended up just below 5 bucks per seed again.

But that is just me, others may see things differently and will argue that some seeds are worth 10 or even 50 bucks a seed...

In terms of bang per buck or "cost effectiveness" as it were, I would throw Mr. Nice in there, at the risk of sounding like a broken record.
If you go through their auction house (members only but registration is free), you can get very good quality genetics for as little as 50 cents a seed. I never paid more than 2 bucks a seed over there. And they are one of the oldschool breeders with a proven track record. Just fallen out of favor a bit in the last decade or so. But they are not a "discount" breeder like Nirvana etc. they were/are one of the A-listers and their regular packs, through regular channels sell for up to 10 bucks per seed as well.

Basically if you are looking to spend around 3 bucks per seed or less, you quickly are pushed towards the B-listers like Nirvana, White Label etc. etc.
But with Mr. Nice you can get the beans even cheaper (if going through auctions) while having access to arguably "better" (A-list) genetics.

B

beanz

I go about this another way.

I think about the type of high I'm after, then I try and find the best varieties that reflects what I want. Then I look to breeders that lots of other people say are good. You can probably narrow down to a few choices. Even then you can get it wrong but you can at least improve your chances.

Even the best breeders will have varieties you like, and some that you don't so much.

Having said that I like Ace. Loved the purple haze, not so much the Malawi. Both went over 18 weeks, the haze about 20.
One of the most memorable plants I have grown in the last 30 years was Soma's NYCD. Over 100 days to flower. Incredible and unique high. I think I just got lucky. Grapefruit with hints of lemon. Wish I still had.

finely , I,ve been waiting for someone too say something like this ....
the soma nycd I had also went like 100 days , foolish me I thought that was too long and gave away well over 500 f2 . since tried to get few back with not luck . went jet purple orange hairs .....think the worst mistake I,ve made in long time

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Basically if you are looking to spend around 3 bucks per seed or less, you quickly are pushed towards the B-listers like Nirvana, White Label etc. etc.
But with Mr. Nice you can get the beans even cheaper (if going through auctions) while having access to arguably "better" (A-list) genetics.

' B-listers '....that statement is bullshit.. we have bought seeds for 15+ yrs from all the 'top' breeders (now thats a funny word) - the best weed we ever grew was from a buck/maybe 2buck nirvana 'jock horror' seed .. it blew away any seeds we bought from anyone - as to mr nice, we have grown out a few of his offerings... and each one after a grow or two were gone from the garden...

H

hard rain

finely , I,ve been waiting for someone too say something like this ....
the soma nycd I had also went like 100 days , foolish me I thought that was too long and gave away well over 500 f2 . since tried to get few back with not luck . went jet purple orange hairs .....think the worst mistake I,ve made in long time
Pretty sure this was mine! Memories...
picture.php

bigbadbiddy

' B-listers '....that statement is bullshit.. we have bought seeds for 15+ yrs from all the 'top' breeders (now thats a funny word) - the best weed we ever grew was from a buck/maybe 2buck nirvana 'jock horror' seed .. it blew away any seeds we bought from anyone - as to mr nice, we have grown out a few of his offerings... and each one after a grow or two were gone from the garden...

What would you call Nirvana, WhiteLabel etc. then if not B-listers? Sorry if the term offended you.
Discount breeders? Sounded more harsh to me.

Nobody said you can't get good stuff from them. But that doesn't change the fact that they make F2s from other people and sell them at a discount that reflects them not doing any actual breeding work. Which is fine, I didn't tell anybody to avoid them or anything. I would prefer them over many higher priced alternatives.

Regarding MRN, I heard similar things from here and there.

But I ran a few (not many) different strains from different breeders and so far MRN beans outperformed them.

Gonna see how the Karma gear holds up next.

brown_thumb

1st: I'm a newb with limited growing experience.

2nd: I've only bought from five breeders.

3rd: This is only my opinion.

The best luck I've had regarding vigor and overall quality has been with various strains from ILGM.