What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How's this for Narrow Depth of Field ?

St. Phatty

ow0bgq13vwqf1wo6yxy.jpg

This is the third time today I've taken pictures of this bud.

It's dried Amnesia, harvested a little early. Amnesia = Haze x Northern Lights, supposedly.

I've always heard that more light helped to improve depth of field.

So the middle of the image - some of the trichomes - are in focus.

But parts of the bud further and closer away are out of focus.

That's like a 1 centimeter depth of field (the area that's in focus).

It's like my camera is getting presbyopia, where your ability to focus at various distances decreases as you get older. (sort of related to why people wear bifocals).

I'm using a Canon Rebel EOS SLR and it is sucking.

What are your lens and settings? The reason more light can give you greater depth of field is that it lets you use a higher f stop.

Betterhaff

Veteran
What lens are you using? To get more depth of field you want to use the highest aperture setting you can (f#) that does not slow the shutter speed enough to cause blur (that is why more light helps with depth of field). A tripod helps if your shutter speed gets too slow. Focal length and lens speed also comes into play thus the question about the lens.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
View Image

It's dried Amnesia, harvested a little early. Amnesia = Haze x Northern Lights, supposedly.

It's like my camera is getting presbyopia, where your ability to focus at various distances decreases as you get older. (sort of related to why people wear bifocals).

Never had that much issue with macro, but I am beginner.

Perhaps pulling back an inch or two. At current distance,
you may have exceeded minimum range for focus.

Is that bud seeded?

St. Phatty

Never had that much issue with macro, but I am beginner.

Perhaps pulling back an inch or two. At current distance,
you may have exceeded minimum range for focus.

Is that bud seeded?

Yes it is, the dad is Candyland x A11.

Will try the photo again, on the ever-dwindling bud.

After I smoke some of it. :dance013:

View Image

sucking>? Canon is a reputable brand, and the rebel is entry level, but it's not a bad camera. Are you using film or digital? What're your complaints, specifically?

To take good pictures requires good composition, and a full mastery of your equipment.

For example, I would have taken this picture of this bud vertically, against a black or dark backdrop, with the camera slightly lower than the subject. I would have used a cheap tripod, because they allow for high f stop numbers without regard to low light conditions.

A photographer who blames his camera is in much the same position as a painter who blames his brush.

View Image

Focal length, distance to subject and F-stop together determine depth of field. When shooting at very close distances, like you are, the effective f-stop is smaller than the camera might show. Some cameras automatically give the effective f-stop.
So, if you are using f/5.6 and using closest possible distance it might actually be f/8:ish.
If you are trying to get the whole bud into focus you'd have to do a focus stacking to get everything in focus.

Like BobbyIronsights said, try simplifying the background. If your subject is lighter than background it'll pop up from it and help viewer to focus on the subject. This also works with contrasting colours if you are interested in venturing into colour theory.

You can use anything, stacked books, bean bags etc. as a support to use longer shutter speeds. If using any kind of support that keeps the camera firmly in position, turn off possible image stabilization from the lens (or from camera for sensor stabilized models), the stabilization system freaks and the images will be blurry.

You don't need professional gear to get professional results, better lighting plays much more important role in the final image than the $$ spent on gear. If you know how to grow, you'll learn how to photograph. Technical part of the basics are just simple laws of physics.
Hope this helps!

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
you shouldn't be taking such crap photo's with an SLR, even my phone can take a better macro than that.

you need to up the fstop to the highest number and set the shutter speed to the slowest. you might wanna get a sturdy surface to rest your camera on or a tripod.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
better than I get...I did better with my old camera then my Nikon d70s...one of theses days i will get it right..i even have a macro lense and still aint happy with my shots...yeehaw